11am flight out of FLL after a transatlantic??

FritzG

The only nonstop flight to Cleveland leaves FLL at 11a.m. I wouldn't worry about a flight this early coming back from a Caribbean cruise, but we're returning from a transatlantic cruise, and we're concerned about customs and/or other inspections holding up clearing the ship. On a ta a couple of years ago, we had a long delay because all of the crews' passports hadn't been handed in.

I understand the desire for a non-stop flight, as every connection adds to chance that something will go wrong, but this is far less worrisome when you are headed home AFTER the cruise than when you are trying to make the ship. Expand your search to include flights with a connection and you will likely find LOTS of options that depart at 12:00, 1:00, 2:00 etc. and give you a little more comfort.

I think you have answered your own question.

You're right! It's a Monday with no other ships in port as far as I can tell, but I don't think I want to add stress to the last morning of my cruise worrying about disembarking. There are just too many things that can cause a delay after a ta.

OP would need to be off the ship by 9:30 to be sure of being able to get to FLL an hour before flight time - and that hour might not be enough if it were a day with a number of ships debarking passengers, or the end of a weekend. Too tight.

Arriving at FLL 1 hour before flight time still might not be enough, even if there are few other ships in port. I have seen security lines at FLL that would make your eyes bug out. I fly in and out of FLL all the time and there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to when security is well-staffed and when it's not.

The only nonstop flight to Cleveland leaves FLL at 11a.m. I wouldn't worry about a flight this early coming back from a Caribbean cruise, but we're returning from a transatlantic cruise, and we're concerned about customs and/or other inspections holding up clearing the ship. On a ta a couple of years ago, we had a long delay because all of the crews' passports hadn't been handed in.

Unless you want a cardiac arrest, don't even think about it. Far too many variables to worry about.

Why not take a later flight with a connection, and have 'brunch' with no stress? After all. you are still on holiday.

Unless you want a cardiac arrest, don't even think about it. Far too many variables to worry about.

Why not take a later flight with a connection, and have 'brunch' with no stress? After all. you are still on holiday.

That was our thought, but we're traveling with another couple, and I wanted to see if cc members agreed that the flight time is too early.

PS--funny that you mention cardiac arrest; one of us had the real thing in Feb., and we don't want to repeat it!

We debarked from a repo last year and did not get off the ship until 9ish. It was after 10 before we made it to the curb. We have also had delays, again at FLL, on regular Caribbean runs due to diminished CPB staff at the pier. Those delays were pier side and did not reflect the airport issues familiar to those who fly in and out of FLL frequently.

I hope you find a more suitable flight time and have a great cruise.

I sail TA cruises every year, last couple have had the major customs/immigration done in St. Thomas. Depending on your itinerary, this may be the case?

Otherwise, having a later flight would be safer.

I sail TA cruises every year, last couple have had the major customs/immigration done in St. Thomas. Depending on your itinerary, this may be the case?

Otherwise, having a later flight would be safer.

We're coming from the British Isles to Port Everglades so we won't be anywhere near St. Thomas.

Thanks, everyone, for your input. We're taking a later flight with a change in Newark or Chicago; we haven't booked the flight yet.

Next time, you might consider (if your schedule permits), staying at an airport or nearby airport hotel over night and catching your plane the next day. DW and I always go a day or two early to the embarkation city and, also, book at least one overnight in a hotel near the airport on the day if disembarkation prior to our flight home. Thus, we avoid the stress of making the designated connections, and also, it eases the transition from vacation to the world of reality!