Just off the Allure - a few quick tips

fun_one

We were on the Allure Nov 8th - 15th and I will post a full review shortly but wanted to offer anyone getting ready to sail a few quick tips.

1. Drink packages - no need to spend more money on the Ultimate unless you want specialty coffees. There is no where to find what drinks are included in each package but we could get everything top shelf with the Premium package and other special drinks up to $12.

2. Drink package II - If you buy it ahead of time, you won't pay tax. we bought it right when we got on board and had to pay appox $20 per package of tax.

3. Staterooms were not COLD. Often we found ours to actually be warm. We brought a fan and were so happy we did.

4. Bring lots of $1's for tips. The service was fantastic but they really appreciate extra tips for good service.

5. Windjammer can be very crowded so it is worth trying other places to eat breakfast or just plan to eat at odd hours to avoid the crowds.

Again, I will post a full review but wanted to share those few things with you. Have a great time - it is a wonderful ship and handles the large number of guests very well.

Barbara

...2. Drink package II - If you buy it ahead of time, you won't pay tax. we bought it right when we got on board and had to pay appox $20 per package of tax....

Did you sail from a US port? If so, this is the first time I've heard of tax on packages out of a US port.

Did you sail from a US port? If so, this is the first time I've heard of tax on packages out of a US port.

Yea if the ship is docked in the US, they're required to charge tax.

Edited by vyst

Yea if the ship is docked in the US, they're required to charge tax.

I understand that they are required to charge tax on purchases of single drinks - this has been the practice for years. However, I've not heard of them charging tax on drink packages in US ports before. If this is true, and not a misunderstanding with regard to the 18% service charge, then it's a major change.

Edited by clarea

5. Windjammer can be very crowded so it is worth trying other places to eat breakfast or just plan to eat at odd hours to avoid the crowds.

What would you say is the optimal time to head to the WJ for breaky?

We sailed out of FLL and were very surprised about the tax charged on the drink package. The only problem with pre-purchasing it before you sail is if you have a lot of on-board credit, you will have to use it for something else :)

The Windjammer seemed less crowded after about 10:00 am but we often went to the Solarium and were able to find a seat pretty easily. We had friends that went to the formal dining room for breakfast every morning and they said they never had to wait but the service was a little slow. Another advantage is it is easier to get a bloody mary or mimosa in the AM if you do breakfast in the dining room.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions if anyone has them.

Barbara

I understand that they are required to charge tax on purchases of single drinks - this has been the practice for years. However, I've not heard of them charging tax on drink packages in US ports before. If this is true, and not a misunderstanding with regard to the 18% service charge, then it's a major change.

So, in essence, if you have to pay 20% tax (quite high it seems) then you would essentially be paying 38% more than the base price of the package

(20% tax +18% gratuity)?

Why would you not be assessed the tax if you paid for it beforehand?

So, in essence, if you have to pay 20% tax (quite high it seems) then you would essentially be paying 38% more than the base price of the package

(20% tax +18% gratuity)?

Why would you not be assessed the tax if you paid for it beforehand?

The tax is a Florida State tax that is charged for liquor consumed before leaving the dock. I believe Texas does this as well.

OP: I would send an email via the RCI website to the After Cruise section. Let them know what is happening and I'm sure they will work to refund you and correct this.

I don't believe that the intent of the law is to do this. As a Florida resident I don't want to see cruise guests being mischarged for items such as this that will give us a bad name and harm tourism!

Edited by Scotty G

Thanks for the opportunity to ask you a question regarding Allure.

I can't believe I am actually having to ask this question. We have sailed many times and always dressed for formal nights. However, our trip on Nov 29th will include our family and they are wondering if it is acceptable to wear dress slacks and a collared shirt (for the guys) and dressy capris and top (gals) on formal night in the MDR? I really never paid too much attention to what others wore in the dining room.

Very excited to cruise with our family. First cruise for many of the grandkids. Our group of 30 year old men are not too excited to bring along their sport coats& ties to say nothing about dress shoes.

Thanks again for any observations you may have noticed on formal night.

yes you will be ok dressed like that or just do the windjammer.

Johnny Rockets was great for breakfast all cooked to order. Wipeout cafe only place you can get an omelet made to order.

Main Dining Room also has eggs made to order.

We sailed out of FLL and were very surprised about the tax charged on the drink package. The only problem with pre-purchasing it before you sail is if you have a lot of on-board credit, you will have to use it for something else :)

So if you pre order you are charged for the entire package and can't use on-board credit for any of it?

So if you pre order you are charged for the entire package and can't use on-board credit for any of it?

Correct.

Our group of 30 year old men are not too excited to bring along their sport coats& ties to say nothing about dress shoes.

I do not want to take up suitcase space for formal nights either. You wear them what? once? twice? It seems like a lot of wasted suitcase space for a dying tradition.

I do not want to take up suitcase space for formal nights either. You wear them what? once? twice? It seems like a lot of wasted suitcase space for a dying tradition.

Right. Waste of space. Nice slacks, button shirt with open collar and I wear the same thing on casual nights. My brother wears his "faux" tux...a dark suit coat, black dress pants, tux shirt and bow tie. I'm still in the minority without a tie, but we're gaining.

We tried the MDR could not even get a waiter to take our order and table next to us waited over 30 minute 3 of 8 orders were wrong and one person never got their food!

We've never cruised before so forgive this question but...isn't there a "manager" or someone that is making sure people are served? It sounds like you could get better service at a Denny's/Waffle House!

Right. Waste of space. Nice slacks, button shirt with open collar and I wear the same thing on casual nights. My brother wears his "faux" tux...a dark suit coat, black dress pants, tux shirt and bow tie. I'm still in the minority without a tie, but we're gaining.

However if you wear clothes in the warm weather more then twice, without cleaning them, you will see people sit else where lol! so bring clean clothes please! they do have laundry service on board of course. I line dry swim suites, but the humidity isn't good for other items.

Enjoy

I remember buying the drink package at embarkation port and they would do a hand written reciept-and told me they waited till we were out at sea to run it through the computor-thus saving the tax. This is not done anymore?

Edited by harry0

We tried the MDR could not even get a waiter to take our order and table next to us waited over 30 minute 3 of 8 orders were wrong and one person never got their food!

We also had poor MDR service on Oasis, but that has been the exception in our experience.

I was not aware that I would need to make reservations for shows, until after I had booked this cruise, since this is our first "mega" ship. 1) Where can I find a schedule of events so I don't end up choosing the wrong show schedule? I have called RC and they can not give me that information. 2) Since My Time dining is on my reservation do I need to choose those times also for EACH night after choosing my show times? Trying to stay positive about his cruise, but it does look like much more planning is involved on such a large ship. I have cruised many times before and love the leisure of it all, hope that will be the case on the Allure also.

Thanks for any info you can pass on.

Edited by chukabird