Inside vs. Oceanview on the Dawn

BingoSlots

Question for the folks who have shipped in these cabins before (Dawn or other Norwegian ship):

I got an offer to upgrade my mid-ship Inside room to an Oceanview room for only $100 pp for the 7 night cruise on the Dawn out of Boston in October.

Currently, I am booked in a mid-ship Inside on the 9th deck. The Oceanview they can give me is a large picture window (not a porthole) located mid-ship on deck 5.

Is the extra $100 pp worth it for the window? Thanks!

Gosh, that's really a matter of personal choice. If you are the kind of cruiser who spends all their time outside of their cabin, then the upgrade is not worth it. If you are the kind of cruiser who likes to relax in their cabin and look outside, then it is worth it. The ocean view cabins are 17 sq ft bigger than the insides, in most cases. Other than that, they are very much alike except one has a window and one doesn't. I've seen both categories of cabins and they are both nice. Just think about which you would prefer and make your decision from there.

My DD and her three friends had a midship OV on the Dawn. We visited the cabin and were surprised as to how large the window was. The four of them had plenty of room, but did spend a lot of time out and about the ship. My DD had never sailed before, so we chose this room because of the midship location for possible seasickness, and her friend wanted the window to not have that "closed in feeling". For us it was worth the extra money.

Question for the folks who have shipped in these cabins before (Dawn or other Norwegian ship):

I got an offer to upgrade my mid-ship Inside room to an Oceanview room for only $100 pp for the 7 night cruise on the Dawn out of Boston in October.

Currently, I am booked in a mid-ship Inside on the 9th deck. The Oceanview they can give me is a large picture window (not a porthole) located mid-ship on deck 5.

What is the interior square foot difference? It has been our experience that inside cabins are often much smaller than ocean views. For me, it would definitely be worth $100 p/p for a significantly larger cabin.

Your sideways has more leg room then the OV.

October can be a little bumpy, Big waves are look even bigger at water level. :eek:

DH has stated that, without a source of natural light, he'll spend the whole cruise asleep. We no longer get insides. :)

That is $100 per person.... so is it really worth $200 for the cabin? I could use that money for a better shore excursion or deposit it in a future cruise fund. I don't mind inside cabins, there are other places on the ship to relax, I don't need to do it in the room.

The question is, "Is it worth it to you?"

I don't ever consider an OV, it's either an inside or balcony for me. I always sleep well in an inside and enjoy the cost saving in the outdoor spaces or bars. I like going out on a balcony on a sea day to escape the crowds.

We book inside cabins all the time and have done this several times on the Dawn on several different decks. Some folks like to have natural light, others don't mind dwelling in a "cave" for 7 days...lol We fall into the latter category.

IMHO you have to consider just how much time you actually spend in your cabin. If you plan to spend a lot of time there then an oceanview or balcony with an outside view is definitely for you. If you're like us and don't spend a lot of time in your cabin then inside is the way to go.

As previous posters have stated it's all a matter of personal preference. Have a great cruise!

Tom

• 4 months later...

So, dh & I just booked an inside on kiddo deck, We will get the best of both worlds, dark cabin for sleeping and quick & easy access to a wonder view just step away. We have always wanted to try a cabin on kiddo and this is the year to

try it. We are celebrating dh bday in Oct.

So, dh & I just booked an inside on kiddo deck, We will get the best of both worlds, dark cabin for sleeping and quick & easy access to a wonder view just step away. We have always wanted to try a cabin on kiddo and this is the year to

Which deck is the "kiddo" deck?

We are cruising the same week, so far there are 12 of us. Two are also celebrating birthdays that week!!

Which deck is the "kiddo" deck?

Look for the deck with the Kid's Club designation

We are cruising the same week, so far there are 12 of us. Two are also celebrating birthdays that week!!

Have you both joined your ROLL CALL for your cruise? It might be a good idea as you can usually have a M&G and meet senior staff.

Look for the deck with the Kid's Club designation.

The kids club is on deck 13 on the Dawn, no cabins....

Have you both joined your ROLL CALL for your cruise? It might be a good idea as you can usually have a M&G and meet senior staff.

I joined right away, have met some really nice people at the meet & greets!!

Edited by pathubia

• 4 weeks later...

We've booked a 9th floor inside cabin on the Norwegian Dawn on March 6th. In checking the current pricing, the category room we've booked is now $300 less. We've contacted NCL to see about an upgrade and the only thing they would offer is a porthole room on deck 4. We are not so sure that would actually be an upgrade. Any other thoughts on this? We sailed on other lines having OV and inside cabins and have never really thought the OV was worth the actual $$$ to us. This is our 40th anniversary trip and the first time with NCL. I must say our initial opinion of NCL isn't terribly high at this point.

We've booked a 9th floor inside cabin on the Norwegian Dawn on March 6th. In checking the current pricing, the category room we've booked is now $300 less. We've contacted NCL to see about an upgrade and the only thing they would offer is a porthole room on deck 4. We are not so sure that would actually be an upgrade. Any other thoughts on this? We sailed on other lines having OV and inside cabins and have never really thought the OV was worth the actual $$$ to us. This is our 40th anniversary trip and the first time with NCL. I must say our initial opinion of NCL isn't terribly high at this point.

I actually would prefer deck 4 porthole over the windows on deck 5. Most rooms on deck 5 are below some very noisy areas.

A porthole on any deck is a higher category than an inside on any deck.

So, yes that is a upgrade.