Dare I post another Drinks pkg question?!!

So, my booking is in $CDN and when I add a Premium Drinks pkg, listed at $59 cdn to my cart for an 11 night cruise it prices at $700.70 plus $126.12 gratuities for a total of $826.82

by my math it should be $59 X 11 = $649 plus $116.82 in gratuities for a total of $765.82

that's a difference of $61, times 2 of us is $122.

is there something I'm missing?

Is it because they are not converting the drinks package from USD to CAD?

I have an issue with their gratuity package in Australian dollars, but in this case it is in my favour.

I also question the difference between days and nights. The drinks package literature states per day, not per night. So by strict interpretation your 11 night cruise is 12 days and should be $59 x 12. However, I have been told that is not the way it works.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/showthread.php?t=2238039

Yes...but it corresponds to the number of NIGHTS that you are on the cruise.

The day you board is Day 1. The day you disembark is "As you depart" and is not counted as a day. :D (It is someone else's Day 1 LOL :D)

So an 11 night cruise is 11 days for a drink package. The OP's math is correct. I don't understand the discrepancy....but I would be very curious to hear Royal Caribbean's explanation. :D

It's amazing how much people spend on drinking and then having a hangover.

And how is that relevant to the question posed on this thread?

Edited by Coralc

I've never ordered a drink package. Don't plan to. If you have OBC, wait until you board to order. it will cost less. Cruised on Serenade 3 times. Have fun.

Why would you respond if you never got a drink package?and it doesn't cost less when your on board.

Side snark much? Some off us can enjoy the beverages and the ambiance without any ill effects (except maybe an extra workout or two to pay for the calories!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, my booking is in $CDN and when I add a Premium Drinks pkg, listed at $59 cdn to my cart for an 11 night cruise it prices at $700.70 plus $126.12 gratuities for a total of $826.82

by my math it should be $59 X 11 = $649 plus $116.82 in gratuities for a total of $765.82

that's a difference of $61, times 2 of us is $122.

is there something I'm missing?

Since your booking is in CDN$ your best option is to call C&A or Gifts and Gear and purchase US$ OBC. You can purchase $500 US OBC for only $550 CDN. Your Canadian credit card will be charged $550 and you will have $500 US OBC waiting on your account on the ship.

You can then purchase your beverage package once on board the ship. You can also make any restaurant reservations, pay gratuities or book shore excursions. You are not limited to just buying $500 although you will most likely need to purchase the OBC in separate transactions of $500 each.

Here is the link to the thread discussing this. Just read the last few pages.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2159570&page=45

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Since your booking is in CDN$ your best option is to call C&A or Gifts and Gear and purchase US$ OBC. You can purchase $500 US OBC for only $550 CDN. Your Canadian credit card will be charged $550 and you will have $500 US OBC waiting on your account on the ship.

You can then purchase your beverage package once on board the ship. You can also make any restaurant reservations, pay gratuities or book shore excursions. You are not limited to just buying $500 although you will most likely need to purchase the OBC in separate transactions of $500 each.

Here is the link to the thread discussing this. Just read the last few pages.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2159570&page=45

thanks, yes I have just purchased some OBC, I think it will be cheaper for me to do as you have advised. gratuities were all paid at time of booking.

it's a great rate for us in Canada, saves about $100cdn on every $500us.

Drink packages include water, soda, with some including coffee and OJ. Each drink packages ups the items from the previous. So the first $6.50 is for soda, and the next $14.00 is for water, coffee and non-alcohol drinks and than so on. A soda at lunch, two frozen drinks on deck, a drink or two at dinner and show, and another drink or two late night, does not produce a hangover.

Yes...but it corresponds to the number of NIGHTS that you are on the cruise.

The day you board is Day 1. The day you disembark is "As you depart" and is not counted as a day. :D (It is someone else's Day 1 LOL :D)

So an 11 night cruise is 11 days for a drink package. The OP's math is correct. I don't understand the discrepancy....but I would be very curious to hear Royal Caribbean's explanation. :D

Oh, I stand corrected! :) Prices for drink and Internet packages re listed as "per day", so I assumed they included disembarkation day. That's a pleasant surprise!

Why would you respond if you never got a drink package?and it doesn't cost less when your on board.

What the poster was trying to say is it would cost less out of pocket if you have OBC and use that to offset the total cost of the package. If pre-purchased you can't use OBC to offset the price.

What the poster was trying to say is it would cost less out of pocket if you have OBC and use that to offset the total cost of the package. If pre-purchased you can't use OBC to offset the price.

I read posts as they are written. So are we now supposed to read a post and assume they meant something else?

I read posts as they are written. So are we now supposed to read a post and assume they meant something else?

Pretty much with about half the posts written here. I don't think English is being taught in schools anymore (in the US). :D

When you booked your cruise the Cdn $ was so much. compared to US$. That is the $61.00 difference. Don't forget just because you booked in Cdn that the US$ difference does not affect you. It still does but at the difference now.

Wow.... That is a LOT of booze.... You will each have to drink roughly 7 drinks a day to come close to breaking even. That is EVERY day including the days you are on shore.

If you are not going to be drinking that much, it will be a lot less expensive to just charge them to the sea pass and pay at the end of the cruise for what you actually wanted to drink.