Regent is a large step down from Oceania

PY33

Just got back from the Sydney to Auckland cruise on Seven Seas Voyager and found the experience disappointing. After 2 excellent recent cruises on Oceania's Riviera we expected Regent to be a step up - in fact it was a large step down.

Food was OK but nothing like the terrific cuisine on Oceania. Food preparation was sloppy - lots of bones left in a Dover Sole, an olive stone in mashed potato, fruit not very well trimmed at breakfast.

Service was haphazard to say the least. The wrong items were brought on several occasions. Wine was forgotten. Coffee was forgotten.

Simple things like eggs ordered over easy appeared rock hard, and on one occasion the waiter apologised for the chef, saying "He can't cook"!

Not the experience we expected and we won't be cruising with them again.

Wow - how horrible!

My DH and I have cruised with Regent several times and have not had any of the bad experiences you did. Of course I have no explanation nor will I make any excuses, but I am both surprised and sad to hear you did not have an outstanding cruise experience.

We will be going on our very first Oceania cruise in April, so definitely anxious to make comparisons as well!

~Benita

Was on the same cruise as the OP and do know that it was not a typical Regent experience. It was disappointing in many ways. However, having sailed on the best ship of the Oceania fleet, I disagree that Oceania is a step down from Regent. I may have felt the same way if this had been my first Regent cruise.

Was on the same cruise as the OP and do know that it was not a typical Regent experience. It was disappointing in many ways. However, having sailed on the best ship of the Oceania fleet, I disagree that Oceania is a step down from Regent. I may have felt the same way if this had been my first Regent cruise.

Really need to slow down and read what the poster wrote and then what you wrote. The OP clearly said he was on Sydney to Auckland and you disembarked in Sydneyso you could not have been on the same cruise and the you wrote " I disagree that Oceania is a step down from Regent." First of all the OP said that Regent was a large step down from Oceania and secondly, after reading many of your posts, highly doubt you disagree with O being a step down from Regent, exactly opposite what the OP wrote so your statement actually agreed with the OP that O is a step up from Regent in your statement.

Almost impossible to understand your posts so please slow down and read and comprehend what you read and what you write before you post. Doing that will reduce the corrections and adversarial posts on this board. While some of us do disagree with the "facts" you post, it is unreasonable for you to take so much offense to what we write when you post as facts things you could not possibly know and in the case of the above post, you are terribly confused and the post is nearly completey incorrect due to your lack of comprehending what the OP as well as you wrote more than likely by not completely reading either post

as far as ports,excursions,etc.?/

Thinking of taking this itinerary, just not sure of cruiseline.

Have been on both Regent and Oceania,and enjoyed both.

Just prefer not to be on Voyager (due to vibration probs),but loved my Marina cruise(and food ,too).

Maybe a new chef?Sad to hear you did NOT like it.Always room for improvement on any line,it seems.

Let us know about the rest of it,please.;)

as far as ports,excursions,etc.?/

Thinking of taking this itinerary, just not sure of cruiseline.

Have been on both Regent and Oceania,and enjoyed both.

Just prefer not to be on Voyager (due to vibration probs),but loved my Marina cruise(and food ,too).

Maybe a new chef?Sad to hear you did NOT like it.Always room for improvement on any line,it seems.

Let us know about the rest of it,please.;)

Firstly, the time of the year is wrong for most of the port stops in Australia. It was well over 100 degrees F in many of the ports. Most of the ports were wonderful but difficult to appreciate in such intense heat.

The product produced by the pastry chef did not resemble anything we have had on Regent previously (this was our 16th Regent cruise which, IMO, means more than how many days we have on the ships). After becoming quite friendly with the Director of Food and Beverage (Donald) who had just returnerd from vacation, some of the items (specifically the salt sticks and cheese cake) were improving daily. On the positive side, we did not eat much bread or any desserts while onboard (after tasting a few items at the beginning of the cruise).

A high percentage of passengers (not crew) became ill. Learning that this issue was going on prior to our embarkation was extremely upsetting.

There were issues with some excursions.

Something was just "off" on this cruise. Even the General Manager did not seem to understand the typical day to day goings on of a Regent ship. This brings up another point. There were many officers who had transferred from Oceania (one sounded as if he was not thrilled about it but was getting used to it). While I certainly believe that a General Manager, for instance, could transition to Regent if they so desired, IMO, it would take time to make the transition. Regent and Oceania guests have different expectations (based on discussions I have had onboard both cruise lines).

From what we have experienced, crew members who have worked their way up the ranks to become an officer (Franck Galzly for instance) work best with the crew and have the best understanding of the needs of the guests. Switching between Regent ships is not a big deal..... but, IMO, working on Regent one day and Oceania the next may not give the best experience to the guests.

As many know, we really love Oceania's Riviera (almost identical to the Marina). In fact, we have booked the Riviera for later this year ..... selecting it over Regent's Navigator. We find the food in the specialty restaurants to be top quality but do not find the food in the Terrace Cafe or the MDR equal to Regent in quality (even though they serve so much lobster:-)

In order for our Oceania experience to be close to our Regent experience, we need to book a large suite and add on included alcohol (not sure we drink enough to make it worthwhile but do not want to sign for drinks). Our next cruise will include internet and tipping but the amount the butler makes per day from tips is pitiful so we will have to add to that.

So, in terms of the Australian itinerary -- I would not recommend it unless it were done a a time of year when the ports were at least 20 degrees cooler.

We did consecutive legs on the voyager from Singapore to Sydney to Auckland in January of 2012.

The first leg was a dog -- so bad it was nothing like any other Regent cruise we had ever been on. I documented it all in a thread you can find here that even FDR commented on.

The second leg was fabulous -- top notch in every way like it was a completely different cruise line.

We have not cruised with Regent since because of this inconsistency. So I can fully appreciate the OP's position.

We did consecutive legs on the voyager from Singapore to Sydney to Auckland in January of 2012.

The first leg was a dog -- so bad it was nothing like any other Regent cruise we had ever been on. I documented it all in a thread you can find here that even FDR commented on.

The second leg was fabulous -- top notch in every way like it was a completely different cruise line.

We have not cruised with Regent since because of this inconsistency. So I can fully appreciate the OP's position.

Would love to read the thread. Any hints on how to do a search to find it?

Jackie - Frank Galzy came from Oceania to Regent. His first cruise with Regent was the first after the last big dry dock

You mean that he spent time on Oceania? I don't know the exact date, but it seems that Franck was on Regent before it was acquired by PCH. He definitely was Food and Beverage Manager on the Navigator (and I think worked in the bar area) before being promoted to General Manager 2-3 years ago (could be longer - times flies:-)

Jackie - Frank Galzy came from Oceania to Regent. His first cruise with Regent was the first after the last big dry dock

Tina, We have cruised many times with Frank on Regent; He was with us in 2006 on Navigator and 2007 on Voyager. He was F and B Manager before moving up. He did the Crossing with us in 2007. I don't remember which other cruise he was on in that time frame - but while it was still Radisson!

You mean that he spent time on Oceania? I don't know the exact date, but it seems that Franck was on Regent before it was acquired by PCH. He definitely was Food and Beverage Manager on the Navigator (and I think worked in the bar area) before being promoted to General Manager 2-3 years ago (could be longer - times flies:-)

he came over to Regent in the position of GM of the Navigator in December, 2009 after working for a time at Oceania....Regent was already PCH by that time. We sailed on that cruise. Do not know what he was doing before his stint with Oceania

Edited by tallship

Tina, We have cruised many times with Frank on Regent; He was with us in 2006 on Navigator and 2007 on Voyager. He was F and B Manager before moving up. He did the Crossing with us in 2007. I don't remember which other cruise he was on in that time frame - but while it was still Radisson!

Could be but his first cruise in a GM position with Regent was when he came over from Oceania in Dec 2009

sail in either Jan.or Feb.So not much choice.Will be hot.

But sad to hear 2 people have similar complaints.Esp.re passengers being sick,was that food bourne or norovirus thing?I wonder.

And so strange that 1 leg of cruise would be fine and awful for the next,what gives with that?

I m now leaning on trying another ship,unless I read a few positive reviews.Do NOT want to spend so much money and time on supposed trip of a lifetime to go thru that.Sorry,Regent.Must be CONSISTENT to rate luxury rating.

Any others out there??:confused:

We have taken two Regent cruises (one on Voyager and one on Navigator) and have booked an upcoming cruise on Voyager. We have never been sick and we have had wonderful times on both ships. We are not neatniks although we do use hand sanitizer and, of course, wash our hands thoroughly with soap and water.

We don't require PERFECTION nor do we require that we make life long friends nor do we require that staff address us by name. We like each other's company and a certain level of anonymity.

I'm not sure what's up with this forum, but the level of complaints and nitpicking is a bit much. Some are valid, for sure, but life is way too short to enter an experience primed for disappointment.

We have taken other cruise lines (Celebrity and Norwegion) and were so spoiled by Regent that we cant't look back, We are booked on an Oceania cruise later in the year because the dates and itinerary met our needs but I am already spoiled by the all inclusive. By the way, many posters here also post on the Oceania forum but, for some reason, it a lot less adversarial!

We have taken two Regent cruises (one on Voyager and one on Navigator) and have booked an upcoming cruise on Voyager. We have never been sick and we have had wonderful times on both ships. We are not neatniks although we do use hand sanitizer and, of course, wash our hands thoroughly with soap and water.

We don't require PERFECTION nor do we require that we make life long friends nor do we require that staff address us by name. We like each other's company and a certain level of anonymity.

I'm not sure what's up with this forum, but the level of complaints and nitpicking is a bit much. Some are valid, for sure, but life is way too short to enter an experience primed for disappointment.

We have taken other cruise lines (Celebrity and Norwegion) and were so spoiled by Regent that we cant't look back, We are booked on an Oceania cruise later in the year because the dates and itinerary met our needs but I am already spoiled by the all inclusive. By the way, many posters here also post on the Oceania forum but, for some reason, it a lot less adversarial!

Very well said and my sentiments also. We are primarily Regent cruisers who also enjoy Oceania. :) I see you are from one of my favorite cities.:cool:

The issue is, you cannot seriously compare a luxury line with a mainstream line like Celebrity, or a lower level line like Norwegian. People are paying big bucks for "luxury", and when they don't get what they pay for, there are going to be complaints. That is just common sense. Why bill yourself as luxury when you are not delivering a luxury product, but an all inclusive product.

Personally, I think these posts may light a fire under the higher ups at Regent....or at least I am hoping!

People are paying big bucks for "luxury", and when they don't get what they pay for, there are going to be complaints.

Linda, I think that is the point....people define luxury differently. Obviously, dirty water is unacceptable as well as rude behavior (on both sides). Some people equate luxury with being fawned over and getting special treatment. Some define it by the quality of food, others by the quality of furnishings, others by its exclusivity.

Linda, I think that is the point....people define luxury differently. Obviously, dirty water is unacceptable as well as rude behavior (on both sides). Some people equate luxury with being fawned over and getting special treatment. Some define it by the quality of food, others by the quality of furnishings, others by its exclusivity.

Good post!! Definite food for thought. I wonder what Regent thinks. I seriously would like to know what is the difference between Oceania and Regent, in Regent's eyes. To me, after only 2 cruises on Regent----I would say it's the size of the lowest standard stateroom and having a stocked fridge. I think the all inclusiveness is a plus as well. I didn't notice much difference other than that with my favorite HAL ship (which is their best and most expensive). I was not fawned over, but then I don't expect or need to be!

As a never ever cruiser whose friends keep saying I need to cruise, I am interested in the question of what makes a luxury cruise line “luxury.”

On land, I almost always stay at places I consider luxury. For me, luxury is defined as the quality of the service & the food, and how luxurious the room & hotel facilities are. It never has to do with how inclusive the pricing is. I have stayed in very luxurious hotels where I paid extra for breakfast & internet & also stayed at very non-luxurious (aka cheap) hotels that had “free” internet & “free” breakfast. It seems Regent is emphasizing luxury as “all-inclusive.” For me, that seems more of a pricing strategy than a luxury strategy. While I pay attention to overall price, I would be more interested in things that define luxury other than inclusive pricing. I don't doubt that Regent provides it. It just seems they don't emphasize the things that mean luxury to me.

We took our first Regent cruise in December on Voyager. Our cruise took us from Dubai to Singapore.

Our best experience with Regent was at check in. The Executive Concierge, Jeorg, was there and I asked him what we should do because our luggage didn't arrive with us. He told us to fill out a form and he would take it from there. He was fantastic in tracking our luggage, keeping us informed and reuniting us with it 5 days later. He was very competent and we felt he was the most capable of the officers on that ship. We saw him out and about more than any of the other officers.

Now...for the rest of the story. We were confused as to why Regent didn't run smoothly like Oceania. They are under the same umbrella. We have taken 14 Oceania cruises and we haven't had one that had as many missteps as this Voyager cruise. Our friends were also on the cruise and they said out of the seven Voyager cruises they have taken in the last two years this had to be the worst and most disappointing.

Let me give a few examples. 1) Two people in our group ordered Oysters Rockerfeller at Prime 7. Both orders came out cold. 2) My husband put in his omelet order one morning and it hadn't come by the time I finished my breakfast. He went back up to the egg station and asked what happened. They couldn't find his order tag and so the cook said he would cook his eggs right there. My husband came back to the table with his omelet. Half way through his breakfast, a waitress brought over his original order. We saw a similar situation unfold at lunch when the man at the next table waited for half an hour for his burger to come. He called over a waiter who took his order again and by the time his order came, we had finished our meal. We sat down at the same time! 3) We were having dinner in Signatures and all of a sudden a loud sax or trumpet-type sound came through the wall. The band was beginning to play on the other side of the sliding doors next to where a number of us were eating. We couldn't continue talking. One couple requested to be moved because they had just ordered their meal and didn't want to deal with the noise for the next hour+. 4) We were waitlisted on 8 tours each so my husband and I purchased two tours from Regent and arranged 4 days of private touring. One of the Regent tours was terrible. On an 8 hour tour, we spent half an hour at the UNESCO site that was the title of the tour and the rest of the time was spent driving, eating, waiting. The head of excursions said she would forward my 4 page complaint to the Miami office to see if they would like to provide a refund. I didn't hear back so I went to the excursions desk and told the person on duty that I was expecting a response from Miami. The next day the excursions manager sent me a letter saying that most of the verbal comments she received were positive so no refund would be given. Yet, our friends found the amount taken off their bill because they had the same complaint we had. And, everyone we ran into after that tour said the title of the tour was deceiving and it was disappointing. So I hate to say this but the excursions manager lied to us. 5) A couple who purchased their Myanmar visas before the cruise were told that they had to get two passport size photos taken in Mumbai and buy a visa from Regent. They spent a port day finding a shop that could take their passport photos. When they went to the front desk with their photos, they asked to see their passports. The lady came back with their passports and saw that they had visas for Myanmar. Oops. I could go on regarding missteps...

On the positive side: the Artful Travelers program was the best we have ever experienced at sea. The PBS speakers were fantastic. And Regent had two tv channels where they played the PBS documentaries that were talked about in the lectures. The discussion periods were excellent. The opportunity to have dinner with the speakers was a highlight!!!

The port speaker was excellent as well. He was well prepared and gave information on the history of the country and the specific ports within that country.

The Regent singers and dancers were much better than the ones on Oceania. And the cabins were more spacious than those on Oceania.

But, judging from this one cruise, we are better off on Oceania. They are like a well-oiled machine. Regent needs a tune-up.

Back to Franck Galzy -- Ken and I first met him when we had dinner with him and Louise Ross (Social Hostess and charming person!) on a Voyager TA cruise in 2006. At that time he clearly worked for Regent AND was F&B Manager.

He may well have had a stint on Oceania in between... when we were on Riviera last year GM Thierry Tholon told us that after the "merger" or whatever one chooses to call it several Regent people came over to work on Oceania (I think to learn a bit about the corporate culture and most likely also to learn more about how FDR likes things done) and some vv.

Back to the original sense of this thread - I rather agree. we won't be sailing on Regent again until the new ship arrives. We thought we had died and gone to heaven on the Riviera last year! I think our general feeling was that Oceania's product delivery in all areas was seamless. And we liked that.

Dave - I see your post has been ignored by someone. I thought you were right on the mark this time!

Gerry

Edited by Hambagahle

Thank you for asking the question on what truly designates luxury. I have asked this question and never really got an answer.

If you believe it is food and service, I do believe you have a good chance of being disappointed. Regent seems to be spotty in these areas, unfortunately. Their "suites" would be classified as luxury, IMHO. Their size alone is superior to Oceania's 3 smaller ships. You would have to book something better than a standard verandah on that line to get close to Regent's standard cabin.

... It seems Regent is emphasizing luxury as “all-inclusive.” For me, that seems more of a pricing strategy than a luxury strategy. While I pay attention to overall price, I would be more interested in things that define luxury other than inclusive pricing. I don't doubt that Regent provides it. It just seems they don't emphasize the things that mean luxury to me...
I agree with your observations. In fact, when we returned from our first - and only - cruise on Regent Mariner, I titled my CC review as "All Inclusive But Not Luxury." That cruise didn't meet our expectations for luxury and fell short of other cruise experiences we had on premium lines. We haven't returned. I also agree with the OP that Regent is a step down from Oceania.