Just Returned, Oasis. Frequent questions on Cruise Critic.

Just returned yesterday from Oasis. Thought I would answer some frequent questions posed on Cruise Critic - these are just personal observations.

Boarded easily around 11:30 a.m. I am Diamond Plus. My baggage delivered around 1:30 p.m. Not sure if because DP, never had so early. Family across hall got their baggage around 3:00 p.m. We all boarded together. Might have been coincidental.

Three drinks loaded on Sea Pass Card - very convenient - but with restrictions. Used in Dazzles and Schooner Bar very easily. Champagne Bar and bar outside of Main Dining Room, Level 3, said they could not be used there. Indicated they were considered "dining room." Think this needs to be clarified - I thought you could not use when seated in MDR, not outside the door. Small point but some may find helpful.

Room service delivery was poor - tried to use - always 45 minutes to 1 hour wait time. This was particularly annoying when just ordering cartons of milk to go with cookies that we had already picked up in the Windjammer. Always same answer regardless of time of day or day of the week.

For the most part felt that people adhered to the "suggested dress" for the evening. Saw some shorts in dining room, but rarely. We were on deck 3. A lot of family groups on board - obviously dressed for a formal night out and pictures. Large percentage of passengers were Asian, Brazilian, Hispanic and dressed very nicely and according to suggested dress each evening. Had second seating.

A lot of families and children on board, but did not feel over-run with kids.

Solarium waiter bar service was excellent, and met many people with drink packages who were highly satisfied with service throughout the ship.

Mainly had dinner in main dining room - food was very good - personally thought better than Allure. Had dinner at Giovanni's one night - excellent.

Park Cafe/Windjammer/Johnny Rockets/Wipe Out Cafe all were busy at peak times, but doable. Windjammer they were seating people when it was busy - meant line moved very quickly.

Hope this will help someone!

Just returned yesterday from Oasis. Thought I would answer some frequent questions posed on Cruise Critic - these are just personal observations.

Boarded easily around 11:30 a.m. I am Diamond Plus. My baggage delivered around 1:30 p.m. Not sure if because DP, never had so early. Family across hall got their baggage around 3:00 p.m. We all boarded together. Might have been coincidental.

Three drinks loaded on Sea Pass Card - very convenient - but with restrictions. Used in Dazzles and Schooner Bar very easily. Champagne Bar and bar outside of Main Dining Room, Level 3, said they could not be used there. Indicated they were considered "dining room." Think this needs to be clarified - I thought you could not use when seated in MDR, not outside the door. Small point but some may find helpful.

Room service delivery was poor - tried to use - always 45 minutes to 1 hour wait time. This was particularly annoying when just ordering cartons of milk to go with cookies that we had already picked up in the Windjammer. Always same answer regardless of time of day or day of the week.

For the most part felt that people adhered to the "suggested dress" for the evening. Saw some shorts in dining room, but rarely. We were on deck 3. A lot of family groups on board - obviously dressed for a formal night out and pictures. Large percentage of passengers were Asian, Brazilian, Hispanic and dressed very nicely and according to suggested dress each evening. Had second seating.

Solarium waiter bar service was excellent, and met many people with drink packages who were highly satisfied with service throughout the ship.

Mainly had dinner in main dining room - food was very good - personally thought better than Allure. Had dinner at Giovanni's one night - excellent.

Park Cafe/Windjammer/Johnny Rockets/Wipe Out Cafe all were busy at peak times, but doable. Windjammer they were seating people when it was busy - meant line moved very quickly.

Thank you for taking the time to post this.

Luggage delivery really has to do with whether its' on the top of the cart, or the bottom! If your bags are on the bottom, they will be the last to be delivered! Doesn't matter what your C&A status is....first on, last off!

Luggage delivery really has to do with whether its' on the top of the cart, or the bottom! If your bags are on the bottom, they will be the last to be delivered! Doesn't matter what your C&A status is....first on, last off!

Totally agree with you! However, this time our family filled one cart - mine was on the bottom - big suitcase - that's why I found it odd! Probably just the way it happened, but it did make me think!

Were there people on the inside using binoculars? My cruising friend tried Oasis and some guy was watching people from above. How tacky!

What a strange comment...why is it tacky for someone on such a huge ship to use binoculars to see what's going on in Central Park or the Boardwalk from their balcony?

Am I to understand the drink pkgs are not part if the dining room experience?

That hardly seems fair.

I think you are confusing two different programs.

The unlimited drink packages are valid in the dining room.

Free drink vouchers (for Diamond and above) are not valid in the dining room.

Were there people on the inside using binoculars? My cruising friend tried Oasis and some guy was watching people from above. How tacky!

Didn't notice anyone in particular - but have seen people with binoculars on many cruises and never thought much about it. You have no idea what they are watching! Could be just trying to get a better view of the divers, for example, in the water show.

I don't think of the use of binoculars as a problem.

Is there a granola bar in the dining room for breakfast?

Did you ever eat at Johnny Rocket's for breakfast? How was that food?

Anything you would say is a "Can't miss," show, venue, or event?

There was granola - not sure of a granola bar. They did have granola bars at the Promenade cafe whenever I was there.

Johnny Rockets was very good - busy - but we only waited a couple of minutes for a seat. Food was excellent and hot (which to me is important when you are talking pancakes, etc.).

Everyone seemed to enjoy - we asked for more bacon and waiter brought a huge extra plate.

Definitely loved the ice show. Very colorful and skating was perfect.

Aqua show is also very good - personally I thought better on the Allure - but that is just a personal opinion. There seemed to be more swimming and springboard diving than on the Allure, and less truly high diving.

Is there a granola bar in the dining room for breakfast?

Did you ever eat at Johnny Rocket's for breakfast? How was that food?

Anything you would say is a "Can't miss," show, venue, or event?

We just got off the same cruise as well and had a great time. Did not make it to Johnny Rocket's but did the Park Cafe and Solarium Breakfast a number of times (would highly recommend both areas). The 2 improv comedy shows were very funny, the Hairspray production was excellent (and we are "cruise theater snobs" since we go to a number of Broadway shows throughout the year). Entertainment seemed to be better than my other recent cruises (last on NCL and Celebrity in the last 2 years). Oasis has a lot to offer (many entertainment options and different food areas). Not sure how we will ever go back to a smaller ship.

Am I to understand the drink pkgs are not part if the dining room experience?

That hardly seems fair.

I think Clarea (Bob?) clarified for me. Sorry if I was not clear.

The three free drinks loaded on the sea pass card for Diamond, Diamond Plus, and Pinnacle members are not valid in the dining room (which I knew), but also were not able to use in at least two of the bars adjacent to the dining rooms (which is what I was trying to advise people of).

I was not referring to drink packages. Two family members had coke packages and used each evening in the dining room without any problem.

What do you do about tipping the server if you take advantage of the free :confused:drinks loaded onto your Diamond card?

Tip cash, either per drink, per night, or at the end of the cruise. You can also ask them for a receipt if you want to put the tip on your onboard account.

Edited by clarea

Nice and brief. Cruised on the Allure this past Feb. and our luggage was delivered by 1PM, the earliest ever experienced. The food on the Allure in the MDR was pretty good, I guess it varies form cruise to cruise.

What a strange comment...why is it tacky for someone on such a huge ship to use binoculars to see what's going on in Central Park or the Boardwalk from their balcony?

Because you don't know what kind of creepy or nosy people are staring down at you. For crying out loud now we've got lawn ships for people who don't go outside their house! Maybe if people would walk through a park or mall once in awhile, they would focus on cruising for the sea! :confused:

Are there hour restrictions for the 3 drinks per night? We are trying to decide if we need to purchase a drink package, or buy by the drink, which is normally wine and beer. If we get 3 drinks free of charge at night, with unrestricted hours, the package would be more than we need.