Uh OH, Pin Credit Card Requested

jc foster

Still amazes me that the US of A is still so far behind in this chip and pin technology when we have had in Canada for a number of years now. Surely it will have to change in the US soon. We also have tap technology which is a quick chip reader for lower dollar purchases.

For those of us in the US who travel internationally it is very annoying but for most Americans it is a non issue and they have no idea what chip and pin is. Thus there doesn't seem to be any demand for C&P adoption. I believe we will have to switch by a certain date (don't recall what) but I'm wondering if that will mean just chip and sign.

jc foster... BofA makes a travel rewards MC that's chip and sign. Have used this all over Europe w/o problems. Sometimes I even need to enter the PIN, and it seems to work.

AMEX may be less universally accepted but I have a few with chip and sign technology that I've used in Europe as well.

JP Morgan Chase makes a chip and signature card as well... Can't remember the precise name but I have one for backup that I will ditch soon, as I haven't needed it in years.

banditoo... tell me about it! It used to be a real pain. Luckily the chip and signature cards work in most cases.

but Congress has continued to allow the banks and retailers to screw the American public.

I support chip n pin all the way but how has the consumer been screwed?

My card (chipped) has been compromised twice in the last 4 months. It has cost me $0.00. It has cost Citibank 1000's.

My only expenditure has been my time talking to the CC rep to get a replacement card on the way.

IOW, no one is out any $$ for fraudulent use except the issuing bank.

JP-

We also have the BofA Travel Rewards VISA card (just received with our upcoming trip in mind). Got it as it has no FTF. It is chip and sign. With it we also got a 4 digit PIN that indicates that it would be used for Cash Advances (I think any it could be used at any "Cirrus" ATM). I do not plan to use it for cash unless for some reason our ATM card was compromised.

Am I correct to understand that you have been able to use that PIN # when making purchases with that card instead of signing?

Thanks,

Bruce

JP-

We also have the BofA Travel Rewards VISA card (just received with our upcoming trip in mind). Got it as it has no FTF. It is chip and sign. With it we also got a 4 digit PIN that indicates that it would be used for Cash Advances (I think any it could be used at any "Cirrus" ATM). I do not plan to use it for cash unless for some reason our ATM card was compromised.

Am I correct to understand that you have been able to use that PIN # when making purchases with that card instead of signing?

Thanks,

Bruce

Yes, many times. Every gas station in Iceland has pay at the pump technology, and they only take chip cards with PINs. The card worked every time.

I have also used it at unattended kiosks throughout England, France, Switzerland, and Germany to buy innumerable train, tram, and Metro tickets. Usually the transaction doesn't require a PIN, but on the occasions that it did, my PIN has worked there too.

And yes, they say that the PIN is only for cash advances at an ATM... But I have not found that to be the case.

When purchasing items at a retail store or restaurant, from a human cashier, it defaults to Chip and Sign.

This has become my go-to card for foreign travel when AMEX isn't accepted. And, it is a Visa, not a MC as I incorrectly put in my last post. Thanks for catching that...

Edited by jpalbny

I spent a week on Vancouver Island last summer. Everywhere I went they were able to swipe my mag card and take my signature. They are much more efficient about credit card payments than we are in the good old(fashioned) USA. Each waitress in a restaurant carries a terminal and I just swiped, added the tip and signed on the wifi connected box and was given a printed receipt.

I thought it was much simpler and more efficient than we do it here. And the card never left my presence.

I spent a week on Vancouver Island last summer. Everywhere I went they were able to swipe my mag card and take my signature. They are much more efficient about credit card payments than we are in the good old(fashioned) USA. Each waitress in a restaurant carries a terminal and I just swiped, added the tip and signed on the wifi connected box and was given a printed receipt.

I thought it was much simpler and more efficient than we do it here. And the card never left my presence.

In Canada there are a large number of terminals in most stores, restaurants and hotesl which are swipe/tap and pin enabled. The debit/bank cards are now chip enabled with pins. Alot of Canadian banks are going to paypass which is tap and go, if your purchase is under 25.00 you don't have to input a pin or sign a statement.

In Canada there are a large number of terminals in most stores, restaurants and hotesl which are swipe/tap and pin enabled. The debit/bank cards are now chip enabled with pins. Alot of Canadian banks are going to paypass which is tap and go, if your purchase is under 25.00 you don't have to input a pin or sign a statement.

That isn't true. I use tap and go on purchases up to $500. It depends a lot on the merchant.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

That isn't true. I use tap and go on purchases up to $500. It depends a lot on the merchant.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/credit-cards/visapaywave/questions.html

2. How does Visa payWave work?

In addition to a chip and a magnetic stripe for traditional transaction processing, your new RBC Royal Bank Visa card includes a small radio antenna. This antenna allows you to tap your card at Visa payWave readers to pay for small purchases – typically under $25.

Each merchant has its own maximum limits for Visa payWave transactions and a signature or PIN may still be required in some instances. In the event that your Visa payWave transaction cannot be completed, swipe or insert your card to complete the transaction with a signature or by entering your PIN.

http://www.interac.ca/en/interac-flash/interac-flash-for-consumers

nterac Flash®, an enhancement of Interac Debit, allows you to pay for everyday purchases quickly, securely and conveniently.

What is Interac Flash?

Interac Flash, the contactless payment functionality of Interac Debit, has all the benefits of Interac Debit but it allows you to pay for smaller purchases faster and easier. When making a purchase for less than $100, you can choose to use the functionality by simply holding your card in front of a supporting reader at check out. Your purchases will be deducted instantly from your bank account. The transaction uses chip processing and relies on the same secure network as your Interac Debit card. No need to insert your card or enter your PIN. No more searching for bills or waiting for change. With Interac Flash instead of cash, it's like you're ready with the exact change every time.Your spending limits

There are transaction limits for purchases made using Interac Flash, which are set by your financial institution. A single transaction can’t exceed $100. If your purchase is above this limit, you will be prompted to insert your card and enter your PIN.

As an added layer of protection, there may also be a cumulative spend limit for Interac Flash transactions. This is the sum of all contactless transactions made with your card since the last time you entered your PIN. When this limit is reached, you will be asked to insert your card and enter your PIN. This will reset your limit so you can continue to use Interac Flash.

Edited by gentlemancruiser

I got a replacement Capital One Venture platinum with chip & sign. Letter said that "they want to make it easy so no pin to memorize". Apparently they think we're all idiots. Yesterday I got a new Wells Fargo debit wwhich is chip & pin. Some banks are starting to issue them.

It's got a replacement card from USAA; old one was not chipped, this one is a chip. It took a phone call to them to get a pin added. I just hope I run across a pin terminal before we head off to Europe so I can test it.

It's got a replacement card from USAA; old one was not chipped, this one is a chip. It took a phone call to them to get a pin added. I just hope I run across a pin terminal before we head off to Europe so I can test it.

I just got off the phone with USAA and they charge a 1% foreign transaction fee! This is less than Visa and M/C but still not free like Cap One. :(

I just got off the phone with USAA and they charge a 1% foreign transaction fee! This is less than Visa and M/C but still not free like Cap One. :(

I have been with USAA "forever." The few bucks their ftf costs me is more than offset by their willingness to increase my credit limit immediately when I needed it. We don't charge much on our travels as room and most meals are prepaid.

Yes, many times. Every gas station in Iceland has pay at the pump technology, and they only take chip cards with PINs. The card worked every time.

I have also used it at unattended kiosks throughout England, France, Switzerland, and Germany to buy innumerable train, tram, and Metro tickets. Usually the transaction doesn't require a PIN, but on the occasions that it did, my PIN has worked there too.

And yes, they say that the PIN is only for cash advances at an ATM... But I have not found that to be the case.

When purchasing items at a retail store or restaurant, from a human cashier, it defaults to Chip and Sign.

This has become my go-to card for foreign travel when AMEX isn't accepted. And, it is a Visa, not a MC as I incorrectly put in my last post. Thanks for catching that...

That's good to know. When you buy with a PIN in Europe, does the CC company treat it as a charge or as a cash advance, with a cash advance service fee?

I am working with my VISA provider to get my mag stripe card replaced with a chip and sign card. I will request a PIN before my trip this August. I'm pretty sure they charge a fee for ATM withdrawals(which require a PIN). I just want to know in advance if they will treat a PIN transaction at a merchant as a cash advance and charge me a fee.

That's good to know. When you buy with a PIN in Europe, does the CC company treat it as a charge or as a cash advance, with a cash advance service fee?

They have always treated it as a charge. No additional fees.

I am working with my VISA provider to get my mag stripe card replaced with a chip and sign card. I will request a PIN before my trip this August. I'm pretty sure they charge a fee for ATM withdrawals(which require a PIN). I just want to know in advance if they will treat a PIN transaction at a merchant as a cash advance and charge me a fee.

If you use your credit card to withdraw cash it will treat it as cash; if you use it for a credit charge with a merchant it is credit. Doesn't matter whether you use your chip tap, chip and pin or the old fashioned mag strip and signature....or the old carbon copy and signature. :eek: So many options for parting us with our money! ;)

If you use your credit card in an ATM and withdraw cash, you have just transacted a "Cash Advance" with all the fees and charges. Use a Debit Card for a cash withdrawal from an ATM, not a CC. Though for a true emergency go for it.