Dive Cozumel or Isla Roatan?

The_Graphic1

Better Place to Dive:  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Better Place to Dive:

• Cozumel
    • Mahogany Bay, Isla Roatan

I'm a new diver, as in I'm going to my 1st open water certification class tomorrow. We are going to be cruising with Carnival in January with another couple and while the wives are shopping or laying on a beach us husbands are going to dive. We're trying to decide the best place to dive and are looking at either Cozumel or Roatan. I've snorkeled in Cozumel once last August but that's the extent of my experience.

If you were choosing one, Cozumel or Roatan, which would it be? Or, is it a situation where either is going to be great? If you would choose one over the other, why?

Both have great diving. I would dive at both, but I realize that may not be a valid option with non-divers in your party.

Roatan is not a place that you're going to have much fun just walking around the port and doing things on your own. So it may be a place all of you want to do some excursion together. However, it may be a place for the non-divers to go on an excursion while the divers dive, then everyone meet back at the ship for he afternoon.

Cozumel is somewhat the opposite. There's lots to do there that doesn't require an organized excursion.

Again both have great diving. In both spots I've had better experiences booking diving on my own, rather than through the ship's excursions.

Harris

Denver, CO

Roatan is great diving.... and much easier diving than Cozumel. Nice pretty reefs, lots of fish, and very light current. Much better for new divers.

Cozumel is world-class diving, but it is drift diving and not necessarily the best for a new diver. A new diver can enjoy the diving, but it may be stressful.

I would pick Roatan. After you get more dives under your belt, you will enjoy Cozumel. I have lots and lots of underwater photos and videos from both destinations. We've been diving both places for 15+ years on land-based vacations.

First, let me say this... daily conditions determine which side of the island is best for good visibility. That aside, I'd try to get everyone to West Bay Beach on Roatan. The wives can either lay in the sun, or go to a Tiki bar while you guys dive... at the fantastic reef right there (pictured below).

You may enjoy Cozumel too, but it won't allow you to keep the group together. On the other hand, you may just want to ditch the wives, and that would be unavoidable (for good diving) in Coz. ;)

Westbay.jpg

Agree about the current and drift diving aspects of Coz with regards to new divers. Seen plenty of new divers there and they have coped so I reckon the situation depends upon your confidence, training, and skill levels. Personally, I'd get a few ocean dives in a less challenging environment before dealing with the currents of Cozumel. I don't mean to scarify but the current can be an issue for some folks.

• 2 weeks later...

In Roatan, we went to the Maya Prince resort. We did diving and snorkeling. The boat took us out, and back to the resort/beach. It was very pretty, nice corals, and lots of fish. Afterward we just enjoyed the beach.

For Cozumel, because you are drift diving, the divers (and snorkelers) that get on boat, will end up at a different location. You'll have the logistics of getting back together.

In Coz you can see larger fish/rays, etc. But because it's drift diving, you cannot try to stay and watch something you like, you'll drift away quickly. So consider that into your diving.

Both are great locations, and I'd dive both.

• 1 month later...
First, let me say this... daily conditions determine which side of the island is best for good visibility. That aside, I'd try to get everyone to West Bay Beach on Roatan. The wives can either lay in the sun, or go to a Tiki bar while you guys dive... at the fantastic reef right there (pictured below).

You may enjoy Cozumel too, but it won't allow you to keep the group together. On the other hand, you may just want to ditch the wives, and that would be unavoidable (for good diving) in Coz. ;)

Westbay.jpg

Thank you for this picture. That is my favorite spot to snorkel in the entire world!

So glad I found this feed. I'm going to be a first time diver as well. And had watched videos of Cozumel diving. And noticed the drift and the struggle of the divers. But I didn't know that was a thing. And since I'm a heavier guy. I would think my first time diving would be better experienced and a less stressful place. Thank you so much people.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So glad I found this feed. I'm going to be a first time diver as well. And had watched videos of Cozumel diving. And noticed the drift and the struggle of the divers. But I didn't know that was a thing. And since I'm a heavier guy. I would think my first time diving would be better experienced and a less stressful place. Thank you so much people.

Cozumel drift diving is not for everyone.... but, they are not going to take you to a reef with raging current. The current changes day to day, site to site, so they have to keep that in mind and can't guarantee a reef ahead of time. With luck, if you do choose Cozumel, they will give you a nice easy drift. IT IS ALL DRIFT though.

Roatan is the exact opposite...rarely any current on any reef. It is much better for newer divers for that reason. The trip out to reefs is shorter than in Cozumel also, so less time on the boat.

Cozumel drift diving is not for everyone.... but, they are not going to take you to a reef with raging current. The current changes day to day, site to site, so they have to keep that in mind and can't guarantee a reef ahead of time. With luck, if you do choose Cozumel, they will give you a nice easy drift. IT IS ALL DRIFT though.

Roatan is the exact opposite...rarely any current on any reef. It is much better for newer divers for that reason. The trip out to reefs is shorter than in Cozumel also, so less time on the boat.

Completely understand. I was actually coming back to add to my post. I was thinking that. Cozumel is at the end of the cruise. So depending how I feel after my dive experience in roatan. I might book another dive in Cozumel. I need to take advantage of being out there. I won't be doing another Caribbean cruise till late 2018 after this one. But thanks for the explanation. Makes me feel at ease.

I marked Mahogany Bay, but realize that no one in their right mind would dive at Mahogany Bay. Roatan is the place to dive, but you will likely be off the north west side of the island of the reef.

We've gone diving twice in Roatan with Anthony's Key Resort, booked through Carnival. I love Roatan because the water is warm & clear. I've also dove Cozumel & enjoyed it as well. Not much current when we went, but it still can be tiring if you need to go against a weak current - well at least for me. Cozumel is less expensive than Roatan or Grand Cayman. My favorite dives were in Grand Cayman, though.