Smoking on Balconies and Water from Above

Atiyah9369

Last May while relaxing on our forward balcony, we suddenly were sprinkled with "rain" on a lovely sunny day. Lo and behold, looking up and forward we saw the grass lawn on the top deck of the Summit was being watered! As for the blatant balcony smokers, every year we are plagued by the pests. I go directly to Guest Relations and there is a rapid investigation and it is stopped until someone else lights up. I recently made an innocent inquiry here about the frequency of balcony smoking on the Summit over this past winter as we will again be on board in 2 weeks and a number of jokers belittled my concern. I assume balcony smokers believe they are entitled to annoy their neighbors

Last May while relaxing on our forward balcony, we suddenly were sprinkled with "rain" on a lovely sunny day. Lo and behold, looking up and forward we saw the grass lawn on the top deck of the Summit was being watered! As for the blatant balcony smokers, every year we are plagued by the pests. I go directly to Guest Relations and there is a rapid investigation and it is stopped until someone else lights up. I recently made an innocent inquiry here about the frequency of balcony smoking on the Summit over this past winter as we will again be on board in 2 weeks and a number of jokers belittled my concern. I assume balcony smokers believe they are entitled to annoy their neighbors

Grass lawn on Summit? Must be a new upgrade.

Why would washing a balcony at sea be extremely dangerous and risk lives?

Apparently you have not seen the window washers while in cabin waiting for sailaway. When we were in Celebrity Suite, they washed then in port not while sailing rough seas.

And, some of us have tried to provide serious answers to that question. Did you not read them? :confused:

Edited by wwcruisers

Last November we pulled out of Miami and 2 hours later I smelled smoke!!! I stood up and began my hunt for the culprit from my perch of my treasured balcony. He was 2 balconies laterally away. I gave my lengthy warning as per Celebrity rules and that if I caught them again, I would turn them in and they would be fined and/or put off the ship.

That always works.......At 2:30am I am reading outside enjoying the sea air-what do I smell? I stood up and I could see his face with my flashlight. He looked at me as he was egging me on.

Security came, went into his cabin and took care of things. They spoke with me beforehand and told me I should have said something immediately. The smokers paid a chunk of money to clean their cabin due to the smoke inside, according to security. Security also said if the caused the slightest problem to call. They would be put off the ship at the next port.

I have run into a smoker at the beginning of a cruise 3 times, told them the rules extremely firmly and the consequences. They all never smoked again-What a pain! Celebrity makes it so, so clear!

Last November we pulled out of Miami and 2 hours later I smelled smoke!!! I stood up and began my hunt for the culprit from my perch of my treasured balcony. He was 2 balconies laterally away. I gave my lengthy warning as per Celebrity rules and that if I caught them again, I would turn them in and they would be fined and/or put off the ship.

That always works.......At 2:30am I am reading outside enjoying the sea air-what do I smell? I stood up and I could see his face with my flashlight. He looked at me as he was egging me on.

Security came, went into his cabin and took care of things. They spoke with me beforehand and told me I should have said something immediately. The smokers paid a chunk of money to clean their cabin due to the smoke inside, according to security. Security also said if the caused the slightest problem to call. They would be put off the ship at the next port.

I have run into a smoker at the beginning of a cruise 3 times, told them the rules extremely firmly and the consequences. They all never smoked again-What a pain! Celebrity makes it so, so clear!

Wow! Thank you so much, the world is a safer place with people like you on the watch!

We were also on the 4/12-4/19 Silhouette cruise, which was our first cruise. We too had numerous issues with smokers on the balconies. We actually witnessed someone on the balcony directly below us smoking a cigar during the St. Kitts sail-away :O We did contact guest relations who assured us it was being looked into, but in addition to the cigar incident, we smelled smoke on many occasions on our balcony. We also spoke with a few smokers who said the topic of smoking on the balcony was often discussed among smokers in the public smoking areas, and most felt it was perfectly "safe" to do so while the ship was moving, as they were certain they would not get caught, and that the smell was undetectable in the wind. This was one of the few disappointing aspects of an otherwise wonderful cruise.

Apparently you have not seen the window washers while in cabin waiting for sailaway. When we were in Celebrity Suite, they washed then in port not while sailing rough seas.

I'm going to guess it was the cabin steward hosing down the balcony that was above the OP. It happened to me when I was on the Eclipse, though I can't remember if we were in port or not and I was at the railing of my balcony when someone called to me from above and told me to move back. I went back into as I new what was being done as my balcony had been washed a day or two earlier and saw a stream of water that made the front part of my balcony wet. I'm guessing that the steward didn't realize someone was on their balcony when they did that (assuming that is the cost).

Edited by brfan

We were also on the 4/12-4/19 Silhouette cruise, which was our first cruise. We too had numerous issues with smokers on the balconies. We actually witnessed someone on the balcony directly below us smoking a cigar during the St. Kitts sail-away :O We did contact guest relations who assured us it was being looked into, but in addition to the cigar incident, we smelled smoke on many occasions on our balcony. We also spoke with a few smokers who said the topic of smoking on the balcony was often discussed among smokers in the public smoking areas, and most felt it was perfectly "safe" to do so while the ship was moving, as they were certain they would not get caught, and that the smell was undetectable in the wind. This was one of the few disappointing aspects of an otherwise wonderful cruise.

On our cruise, we detected a different kind of smoke that is now legal in certain states. That sweet smell... Then when in port when the ship was quiet, the cigar smokers were at it on their balconies. We could also smell smoke when the ship was moving. I did notice that on the real short cruises, there is a different clientele on board.

Do they really enforce the no smoking on a balcony? I know it is policy but wasn't sure they would be concerned if some people smoked there.

As well as being a health hazard, It's a safety issue, which was brought in after a fire was started by smokers on (Golden Princess / Grand Princess?)

Edited by upwarduk

I don't think it was an ice bucket, it happened too many times and too much water. I actually have pictures to place in my survey to Celebrity Cruise about the issue.

That "mystery water" from above was an odd thing to have happened!

Wonder what it was ... someone emptying an ice bucket .... :confused:

LuLu

Thanks for this suggestion, hopefully I won't run into it again. I called Guest Relations every time it happened and they even sent up the Housekeeping supervisor. My room attendant even told me they left them a note on the bed about the non-smoking policy. I guess they decided to ignore it.

If you don't get a response from Guest Relations regarding smokers on the balcony, call Security next time. They respond immediately and firmly.

Yes, there were balconies above me and next to the smokers. I was shocked no one else had any issues. Maybe they weren't on their balconies as much as I was.

Just wondering, were there balconies above you? Perhaps there were other people as bothered as you by the smoking and whose complaints resulted in no help like yours. Would they have been the source of the water?

We also had the water from above on our balcony on Equinox a couple of weeks ago. I did think it was strange as previously, whenever they are washing down, we've always had a warning letter/note in our cabin :confused:. Nothing was received and it happened on more than one occasion during our cruise. We were on deck 7 if that matters, and our wet shoes were definitely WET (unfortunate as they were left on the balcony to dry) :eek:.

We also had the water from above on our balcony on Equinox a couple of weeks ago. I did think it was strange as previously, whenever they are washing down, we've always had a warning letter/note in our cabin :confused:. Nothing was received and it happened on more than one occasion during our cruise. We were on deck 7 if that matters, and our wet shoes were definitely WET (unfortunate as they were left on the balcony to dry) :eek:.

As I mentioned in a previous post it was likely the cabin steward above hosing down the balcony above yours. This happened to me, luckily I was standing by the railing when the cabin steward on the balcony above mine told me to step back and no there was no notice in the cabin as to how often the cabin stewards do this.