Viking River Cruises to Add European River Sailing for Chinese Tourists

Host Jazzbeau

Interesting. Last year we travelled to Egypt and while there took a river cruise on the Nile for several nights. There were 4 Chinese folks onboard. The guide remarked to us one day that it was odd, as they usually sail on the "Chinese sailings", so I asked what he meant. He explained that the river cruises usually market a sailing/sailings specifically for the Chinese market, as they prefer an experience more tailored to their wants and needs.

He also remarked that the Chinese were a very rapidly growing travel market, and were being heavily courted.

And the reverse is true also, with the Chinese heavily courting tourism. The deals to China in the past 12 months have been nothing short of spectacular, causing us to book a trip to China for next month.

Edited by terry&mike

Travelling abroad without tour guide may be just as daunting to mainland Chinese as it is for most Westerners to travel to mainland China.

What kind of deals Terry & Mike?

There are deals being offered by many of the known tour companies/packagers, (I'm thinking posting their names here is against CC rules, someone let me know if it's okay and I'll post them) at around $1200-$1800 pp for a full package, also, if someone wanted to do it themselves I've seen airfare from Houston on AirChina as low as $470 r/t.

DH and I, along with 2 friends, are going on a package small group tour (12 people total), departing in October that includes international air, in country air, highly rated hotels in Beijing, Shanghai and Xian, all ground transportation, guides, some tours, breakfast daily and several other meals, for $1728 per person. I have wanted to see the Terra Cotta Warriors for a while, so picked this tour as it included them.

There are many different options out there, some with river cruises, some that include Hong Kong, and so on.

One of the local tour guides on our last small ship cruise told us that a lot of Asians are visiting Europe now and that the number of Americans tourists have dropped significantly because of the terrorist attacks that have taken place.

We did a small group tour with ChinaFocus, four weeks including the Silk Road, Tibet, Yangtze River, Li River, Beijing, Shanghai, Xian, Chengdu. Our core group was 6 with 2 more joining us for different sections of the tour. That was 2014, so an "old bargain", definitely cheaper than the tours of large companies.

Such a tour is not for people who need the same tour guide throughout, busses all the time (In addition to our private bus, we took 2 trains.), and can't tolerate Chinese food. I know because one of the 6 was a complainer who made his Chinese-Vietnamese-American wife pre-taste the food. Other than his behavior, the tour was fantastic! Highly recommend it. Remember, the company's focus is China. 5 of us thought it was one of the best trips we have ever taken.

Wherever we go, we notice many Chinese tourists. Even Yosemite National Park. When we were at Neuschwanstein Castle, there were signs in the restroom written in Chinese with illustrations how to use a western style toilet. (No standing on toilet and squatting).

The Chinese guides don't follow western etiquette. It was a huge problem, but I have my ways of preventing others from pushing ahead of me. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Got2Cruise

• 2 weeks later...
I am not surprised that Viking is wooing the Chinese Yen. Just had a report on BBC London local T.V. 270000 chinese visited London last year spending over £600 million.
In case anyone missed the recent story about the Chinese backpacker who lost his wallet in Germany, filled out the wrong form and ended up in a refugee camp.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/worldviews/wp/2016/08/08/helpless-chinese-tourist-ends-up-in-german-refugee-camp-after-losing-wallet/%3f0p19G=e

WOW!

Wherever we go, we notice many Chinese tourists. Even Yosemite National Park. When we were at Neuschwanstein Castle, there were signs in the restroom written in Chinese with illustrations how to use a western style toilet. (No standing on toilet and squatting).

The Chinese guides don't follow western etiquette. It was a huge problem, but I have my ways of preventing others from pushing ahead of me. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I read recently that the Chinese government has recognized that cultural differences in tourist behaviours have caused problems and they are trying to educate their citizens in proper behavior abroad. Hopefully it will be effective!

Last year during our Avalon tour of Versailles we were standing in the hall of mirrors listening to our tour guide, when a man came up behind me, put his hands on my shoulders, and tried to shove me aside. I was shocked! I stood my ground and shoved right back ;)