Ukrainian Unrest - Black Sea Cruise April 25, 2014

bohaiboy

We visit thee ports in the Ukraine. Although current unrest is localized in Kiev, approximately 275 miles north of Odessa, do you think there is a chance it could spread or if the US puts sanctions on the Ukrainian government that it could affect our cruise itinerary?

Yes. It appears to be a very volatile situation. When we went to Odessa, on a wonderful SS Black Sea cruise,last summer, we were floored to hear our two tour guides tell us that they missed Russian " guidance". We rather dismissed this..but now we feel very naive.

So far, the protests have been mostly restricted to Kiev, but, after the Olympics and the world's focus on the games, I am guessing that the Putin gang will more actively suppress all anti Russian expressions, and maybe the Ukraine will be 'off limits'.

There are many other interesting Black Sea ports to visit, especially for first time Black Sea visitors..I'd want to book, take a chance, and be open to new possibilities.

Our world wide theory is more than a bit cynical: GO NOW,. In general, things are going to get worse..with brief, unpredictable hiatuses between coups, protests, insurrections, currency changes..Look at Thailand, look in Africa, consider the EU difficulties with mass immigrations..and then there,are the Middle East tensions and scary uncertainties. We are hoping to take our daughters to Israel, in October, on the Wind. I don't know whether you have to have faith or courage or hopefulness, but , we have decided to muster up a lot of all three. And....GO!

One aspect of this to consider is that historically, the Crimea region is much more closely aligned with Russia than many other parts of Ukraine, especially Western Ukraine which is very pro-European. In fact, prior to WWI, Western Ukraine was part of Poland - thus there remains much sentiment in this region favoring Europe vs. Russia. Chris' parents and grandparents were born there, which is how I know that...

CruisinPashmina, that's why you heard what you heard. Crimea was/is a major port for the Soviet/Russian Navy and as such there's a huge Russian presence there to this day. Sevastopol is still a huge Russian Naval base. Yalta is a huge draw for Russian tourists. Odessa feels much more Russian than Ukrainian. Many inhabitants are from Russia, not Ukraine.

Because of that, one might consider that MAYBE the Crimea region would be LESS likely to express anti-Russian, pro-EU sentiment, and less likely to have violent demonstrations requiring forceful suppression. If one believes that, one might feel braver about visiting there. As tourism is quite important to this region, extra effort may be made to keep these places safe and quiet.

However, predicting the future of this is a bit of a fool's game. You have to do what you're comfortable doing. And what's going on now in Kiev is terrible, and downright scary.

We visit thee ports in the Ukraine. Although current unrest is localized in Kiev, approximately 275 miles north of Odessa, do you think there is a chance it could spread or if the US puts sanctions on the Ukrainian government that it could affect our cruise itinerary?

No one knows how this will end but it isn't going to end well.

Unrest is most certainly not localised in Kiev. Protesters have seized control of government buildings in Rivne, Ternopil, and several others including Zviv. The governor of Volyn has been captured. This is possibly or even likely to become a civil war.

How it will effect cruise itineraries is speculation but I think you should plan on it being a distinct possibility.

My wife (Carolyn) and I are booked on our first Spirit cruise scheduled to depart Istanbul on July 21st for a tour around the Black Sea. Needless to say, I've been looking closely at the unfolding of events in Ukraine. Thanks for starting this thread, and for all the insightful comments.

The closest I've ever come to visiting this region was by studying the defenses the Soviets had in place during the Cold War. I was flying B-52's in the early 70's, and some of our upcoming ports of call were previously known to me as targets. I'm very happy they're still intact, and waiting for us to enjoy. I just hope the current conflict doesn't change that status.

Let me know if you'll be joining us in July.

Bon Voyage,

Larry

Seventeen minutes prior to my sending my last post, I see that the State Department had just issued a warning on travel to Ukraine. I know that some of you are cruising that region in April, but our cruise isn't until late July. We'll have to see what Silversea does with these itineraries.

It's way too early for me to panic and make massive changes, but I am in the process of laying out a "Plan B".

Good luck to all!

Larry

Unpopular as my reminder will undoubtedly be amongst some, some of us are thinking more of the many dozens of innocent unarmed protestors, men women and teenagers, who have been shot through the heart, neck and head by government snipers. This is a terrible situation where innocent people are losing their lives. I'd just like to remind - that's all.

I really hope that the current negotiations just aren't a temporary excuse for regrouping.

My thoughts are with those people.

Our Black Sea cruise on the Spirit sails from Istanbul on 20 August. This is an itinerary we have been looking forward to for quite a while. So we are watching developments carefully. I hope this thread stays active with updates and expert insights.

It is horrible, if not particularly surprising, to see how tyranny seems to have reappeared in that part of the world. Hopefully there will be a favorable solution to this seemingly impossible situation. I can always alter my vacation plans. The tragedy facing Ukrainians may not be alterable (if that is a word.)

Bogey

Very fragile at the moment.

Yesterday many of the bodies were laid out in Independent Square, and it was clear that most had been "sniped" ie head, heart and throat shots. 77 deaths over the last few days and the opposition leader who signed the agreement today was greeted with cries of "traitor" by his own supporters. Lots of new laws passed today particularly forming a power sharing coalition and reducing executive powers of the leader. In parliament both sides started brawling and throwing punches, but it is my take that unless the current leader of the governing side resigns over the next day or two it could all easily kick off again.

Terrible.

Time will tell how this will all play out. Hopefully the latest will lead to a peaceful resolution.

As to whether or not you will visit Ukraine should things break down again you will likely not and a good part of the decision will be with the insurance company that would not allow the ship to visit a place with great risk.

Keith

We too are on the April 25th cruise and like others we are concerned with the situation,but we are fully prepared to go being confident that SS will make whatever alterations are necessary.

Clearly no cruise line would put its passengers,ships or reputation at any risk,so roll on our slightly mysterious cruise

I am sure SS will take care of us, but now the unrest seems to be expanding to Crimea, and is located just 30 miiles from Yalta and 40 miles from Savastopol. The Russian flag has been hoisted as bandits seized government buildings in the capital of Crimea, Simferopol. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/28/world/europe/ukraine-tensions.html?_r=0

Since we are supposed to visit thee cities in the Ukraine, I wonder where else SS might defer us to as there is nothing else really to see in the Black Sea that we are not already stopping at.

I wonder if we would head south out of Istanbul and see some other Turkey sights. Any thoughts? Really wanted o see Yalta and Sevastopol.

I have a very bad feeling about the way this is all going to unfold. I only hope I'm wrong.

Your instincts are correct. This about protection of Putin's home ground. Putin needs to make clear to his own home ground that revolt will lead to appalling armed repression. He will do this by using the Ukraine as a example.

We are due to be on the 20 August cruise, our first SS voyage and so looking forward to it. Chosen specifically for the intinerary so I do hope things settle down - not just for us of course but for the people of the Ukraine.

The Foreign office have just issued the following;

28-02-2014 03:36 PM GMT

Latest update: Summary - the FCO now advise against all travel to the Crimean Peninsula and advise those already there to leave by commercial means.

Not looking good at the moment. Time will tell :(

We are due to be on the 20 August cruise, our first SS voyage and so looking forward to it. Chosen specifically for the intinerary so I do hope things settle down - not just for us of course but for the people of the Ukraine.

The Foreign office have just issued the following;

28-02-2014 03:36 PM GMT

Latest update: Summary - the FCO now advise against all travel to the Crimean Peninsula and advise those already there to leave by commercial means.

Not looking good at the moment. Time will tell :(

It's understandable that people are concerned for both the people there and their cruise. I guess people also planning trips to places (oddley it might seem) like St Petersberg should also keep there eye on things.

Let's hope these poor people find peace.

Link to the Washington Post story developing this morning. I think if Russia moves in militarily, that we can bet on cancellation of Sochi, Yalta, Sevastopol and Odessa.

Where oh where will we go now?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/obama-warns-russia-over-military-moves-in-crimea/2014/02/28/c82780a4-a0d8-11e3-878c-65222df220eb_story.html?wpisrc=al_national