It takes so little to keep us happy!

Montana

We ate all 3 meals in the MDR unless we were in port.

On formal nights, my husband wore his tux, and we ladies wore spangled, sequined dresses with high heels.

Again, this is for the poster who asked, what were the luxuries, that are now cut back.?

There are cutbacks everywhere. Department stores do not have the same service standards, air travel has certainly lowered their standards. I am not sure of the solution. I think one of the main problems is that companies are so into their profit margins that they have laid off workers and frozen hiring. The economy seems to be slowly recovering, so I just hope that companies start to put people over profit.

I have to admit, though, that I was on Celebrity last October and had a wonderful 15 day cruise. I must be easy to please, eh?

I'm married to one... and we seem to finish one another's sentences..

We just think that everyone (well almost) has a point of view that has to be considered creditable based on their experience. Some people who have just had a wonderful cruise may doubt the experience of another whose cruise was not up to their expectations.

On a recent cruise a friend who has also cruised frequently, returned to their room in which the sewage line had broken right above the bed. If that had occurred during the night he would have been covered with the stuff. Now that does not happen to every Celebrity cruiser but it did happen and they were moved to another stateroom. Some would say that with Celebrity's consistent excellent tradition of maintenance that incident would never occur.

Just because "ship" does not happen to us, it may and does happen to others. All of us should give posters with a negative experience a little slack. All one has to do is check the history of the poster to see what their past posts were like.

I truly believe that those who post a negative experience want to let Celebrity know that there is a problem in the hope that their future cruise will be better. There are not that many that come here to say never again on a Celebrity ship. And venting does help.

I'm totally with you, I think everyone should be able to voice their opinion, just as I feel others can disagree with them. I can't tell you how many times, I've been told I didn't know what I was talking about, because I didn't have a problem with something, even though the other posters weren't on my cruises, so they didn't know if I witnessed the same things they did. And during the same back and forth, I kept saying that neither one of us was wrong, we just had a difference of opinion and was still told that I was wrong. Unbelievable, right and that is why I've put some posters on ignore!

I kinda of disagree, I don't think that anyone would come on and say that there could never be an issue, like the sewage your friend encountered. Things happen and I've never seen a cruise that was 100 percent perfect. It is those that complain about minor issues, as if it were the end of the world. Things happen and yes they can be hindrance, but to say it ruined someone cruise.

I don't think most have a problem with those that post a negative experience, when that experience actually happened to the poster. What drives me crazy is the speculation that many on here are doing. One person writes that something could happen and then all the complainers come out and say that that better not happen on our cruise, like it has already happened.

I also doesn't think a person who truly experiences an issue has to have cruised a lot with a line, it could have been their first cruise. I get so tired of some of the posters who try to discount someone's opinion because they haven't cruise as many times as they had. Someone actually told one poster to come back in 5 or 10 years and they would discuss it; that was totally uncalled for and rude. It doesn't matter if someone has cruised once or 100 times, their opinion should be valued at the same level as everyone elses and that doesn't happen on here much with some of the posters.

Enjoy all your cruises and seeing that you are at the Zenith tier, I hope you enjoy all the new perks for that tier, them seem fantastic....I can only dream about them, as I will never make that tier in my lifetime.

Edited by NLH Arizona

We just got off the Connie, service was exceptional everywhere, they knew my name after the 1st day at the Sunset bar. Had a wonderful time with some fellow CC'ers. I am not a seasoned X'er but the ones I talked to had no complaints about the service food etc.

Bathroom is a good bit larger and laid out so well. ;)

The Solstice and the Equinox have the white sofa's. I liked them, not so much for comfort (although I do like firm, but never really sat on it :)) but for the looks. :) They made the stateroom look ultra modern, bright and clean. The main point is that the stateroom is misrepresented online, making you think that you are booking the newer stateroom layout. ;)

I guess because I had been on an M class before and did some reading I knew the new staterooms on 11 weren't going to be as big as the "S" class. Still it WAS a brand new room and had all the amenities of "S" class AQ, just somewhat smaller. We loved 1116, at least as much as our "S" class AQ rooms and would love to be cruising in it again RIGHT NOW!!!:D

perhaps you could give me some degree of supporting detail as to why you believe their complaints are not valid.;)

I'm afraid I can't because I have absolutely no idea whether they're valid or not - that is my whole point. Vague comments that this is no good or that was not up to snuff are of extremely limited value - especially when others have explained why they think those very things were worthy of their praise.

You may think I'm a troublemaker whereas in fact I'm genuinely interested in knowing about material shortfalls in Celebrity's ability to delight. I actually began my stay here on this board with a great deal of skepticism that Celebrity could be as near perfect as some posters claimed - and I (in retrospect, perhaps unfairly) called them out as apologists. My own (albeit limited) experience showed me that Celebrity can deliver a truly outstanding product.

I'm more than willing to accept that sometimes they fall short - but I'd dearly like to understand how in fact that occurs. Vague, unexplained statements of poor service simply create uncertainty. At the same time, simple claims of "Celebrity can do no wrong" are equally suspect - which is the reason I took the time to explain what I thought they did so well when I returned from my cruise - not just give them an unqualified thumbs up.

I'm afraid I can't because I have absolutely no idea whether they're valid or not - that is my whole point. Vague comments that this is no good or that was not up to snuff are of extremely limited value -.

Ian, you have read, sailed, time to just watch, knowing there are 20,000 plus passengers each and every week that continue to enjoy the product Celebrity gives us. Some can not see the forest for the trees.

EW

Ian, you have read, sailed, time to just watch, knowing there are 20,000 plus passengers each and every week that continue to enjoy the product Celebrity gives us. Some can not see the forest for the trees.

EW

Thanks, I suppose you're right. We had such a good time however that I've become passionate about this and something of an evangelist going around convincing non-cruisers to cruise and those that have had a bad experience cruising to try Celebrity. Truly amazing value for the vacation dollar IMHO.

From my point of view whoever is posting a thread or review should be read with an open mind. This is cruise Critic after all. That's what we do

The details I give about my experiences are meant to help other cruisers make decisions about their future cruises and readers can take my advice or leave it. Don't judge the reviewer as misleading when they are relating an uncommon experience. It doesn't matter so much whether I've taken 1 or 100 cruises except that if it is your 1st cruise you don't have some things to compare with other lines

A reviewer must take in the whole experience on the threads and reviews and make a judgment. Falling sewage happened to someone or some other crazy stuff that has happened to me on other lines -- if people discount it as misleading that's fine. But don't shoot the messenger.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks, I suppose you're right. We had such a good time however that I've become passionate about this and something of an evangelist going around convincing non-cruisers to cruise and those that have had a bad experience cruising to try Celebrity. Truly amazing value for the vacation dollar IMHO.

We are in the same line waiting for the same ticket :D 25 years of cruising, over 10 years on CC, and from time to time I try to get involved, but alas this is all about the Emperor has new clothes:rolleyes: mentality.

Sail on and enjoy, we will.

EW & Dana

ps: most are likely to never try another cruise line but want us and Celebrity to think they will. Tinkling brass as it says in the good Book.

Edited by wallie5446

Just returned from a 14 day cruise on the Eclipse, and I have to say that the service, food and staff were just great. Now I have not cruised like a lot here, just my third, but I had an amazing time, I try not to let small things bother me, eg. If I have to walk 20 feet and wait 1 or 2 minutes to get a drink then that's no problem, I'm on holidays. I cruise to relax, soak up some sun, have a cold one or two and meet new people. I guess sometimes people forget,,, cruising is a service, and like most in the service industry and any other industry for that matter in the last several years , they are all having to cut corners, trim some fat while still trying to offer close to the same product.

I hesitate to recommend friends to cruise critic because even though there is a lot of useful info to be obtained here there is also a huge amount of negativity that can turn the most optimistic person from cruising.

And before I get jumped for this, that is just my opinion. :)

Charmed101 I agree don't sweat the small stuff but if you are reading cruise critic you know the cruiselines will be commented on

What bothers me is that the cruise critics, the posters are subject to so much negativity from other posters

If there are changes at celebrity I will check it out and review. I will try to help if someone has a question and I will try not to let the flamers dissuade me from speaking my truth and I do appreciate all that have answered my. ?s and all the reviews I read

If celebrity is slipping why not say so

I had a very nice sailing on Constellation in January. So far so good

Charmed101 I agree don't sweat the small stuff but if you are reading cruise critic you know the cruiselines will be commented on

What bothers me is that the cruise critics, the posters are subject to so much negativity from other posters

If there are changes at celebrity I will check it out and review. I will try to help if someone has a question and I will try not to let the flamers dissuade me from speaking my truth and I do appreciate all that have answered my. ?s and all the reviews I read

If celebrity is slipping why not say so

I had a very nice sailing on Constellation in January. So far so good

Could not agree more - in fact I'd go a step further and say it's ones duty to this community to say so. Having said that, I will stand by my belief that just saying something was no good without offering any detail is of no help to anyone. You used the words in an earlier post "the details I give about my experience"... this detail is essential to ensuring a useful, critical post. Too many posters don't provide anything even remotely resembling detail - such posts are irresponsible and not at all helpful to anyone.

Actually the white sofa's are the older stateroom layout. The newer Silhouette and Reflection have the burgundy sofa's. I think people preferred upholstery rather than pleather.

http://avidcruiser.avidtravelmediai.netdna-cdn.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Photo-Jul-21-6-56-04-AM.jpeg

No, the newer layout is the same on all the Solstice ships. The older layout is that of the Millennium class. It's the colors that have changed for the lastest ships...Sillie and Reflection.

Below was our stateroom on the Equinox.

We just got off the Connie, service was exceptional everywhere, they knew my name after the 1st day at the Sunset bar. Had a wonderful time with some fellow CC'ers. I am not a seasoned X'er but the ones I talked to had no complaints about the service food etc.

Good! Maybe Celebrity is gearing the crew up for the crossing next week, and the Baltic's cruises. On our cruise (ending on April 5th) several of the crew members were leaving after our cruise.

306.jpg.62f8cc0f153199e578d45f353d827c80.jpg

307.jpg.9558bc769266aa04f10ab26e95cd5e5d.jpg

We started sailing on Celebrity in the 90's when Zenith wasn't even a year old! Celebrity was so luxurious and had such amazing service that when we would enquire of a TA about trying a similar level cruise line (i.e. Not, say, Crystal), we would always have them ask, 'what line have you sailed before?' When we told them we'd used Celebrity, they'd give a shrug and tell us that we'd likely not enjoy the others (e.g. RCI, HAL, NCL, Cunard etc.). So we continued with Celebrity to the point where I started to lose count! Moreover, if we did try other

lines, we inevitably could not wait to get back to Celebrity.

Unfortunately, after Celebrity was bought by RCI, we feared that Celebrity was not going to fare well. Indeed, RCI appropriated some Meyer Werft ships destined for Celebrity, sending Celebrity to Chantier de Atlantique... The Millennium a Class ships. They were superficially lovely but their standards of construction were not even close to the German-builds. But Celebrity still had many distinctive and superior characteristics.

Fast forward to the early 2000s, and then we noticed a slow but sure deterioration in any one of several service, food, music or entertainment aspects. And NOW... we have finally reached a point where Celebrity is no longer our cruise line of choice if at all.

I truly believe that we are witnessing symptoms of the relatively soon demise of Celebrity as it spirals down towards reduced service, reduced income leading to more reduced service and ultimately... Bankruptcy! :(

No, the newer layout is the same on all the Solstice ships. The older layout is that of the Millennium class. It's the colors that have changed for the lastest ships...Sillie and Reflection.

You are correct lol I got all caught up in the white sofa/burgundy sofa discussion. I love both layouts for different reasons - more room in the bathroom on S Class and more room in the cabin on M Class

I truly believe that we are witnessing symptoms of the relatively soon demise of Celebrity as it spirals down towards reduced service, reduced income leading to more reduced service and ultimately... Bankruptcy! :(

Ummm... are you aware that Celebrity is owned by Royal Caribbean, which is a multi-billion dollar corporation, and is currently producing massive profits for it's shareholders ? You want to be unhappy with Celebrity's product ? that's your call... but to say they are going bankrupt, is beyond any logic whatsoever.

At any rate, I hope you find a cruise experience that suits your needs.

Edited by Host Andy

We started sailing on Celebrity in the 90's

Fast forward to the early 2000s, and then we noticed a slow but sure deterioration

I truly believe that we are witnessing symptoms of the relatively soon demise of Celebrity as it spirals down :(

We too sailed the Zenith the first time in 1993, fast forward to the 2000s and we are so happy with the deterioration we just booked our first sailing over 7 days, 11 on the Equinox this year.

We truly believe we are witnessing symptoms of the continued spiral upward for the Celebrity product.

Ummm... are you aware that Celebrity is owned by Royal Caribbean, which is a multi-billion dollar corporation, and is currently producing massive profits for it's shareholders ? You want to be unhappy with Celebrity's product ? that's your call... but to say they are going bankrupt, is beyond any logic whatsoever.

At any rate, I hope you find a cruise experience that suits your needs.

Well said! I was thinking the same thing.......you may not like the product...that is certainly anyone's choice...but somehow doubtful X is going bankrupt anytime in the foreseeable future!!!:)

You are correct lol I got all caught up in the white sofa/burgundy sofa discussion. I love both layouts for different reasons - more room in the bathroom on S Class and more room in the cabin on M Class

Really...is the stateroom larger on M Class? :confused: Oh, I feel like there is more room in the Solstice Class staterooms. We like the bed by the balcony, as that opens up the room (as seen in my photos) versus having to go around the bed (as seen in your photo) every time I need to go from sitting area to bathroom when getting ready at times.;) Is your photo of a standard sized stateroom or a CC with one extra foot?

Edited by Iamthesea

I guess I'm glad I didn't cruise Celebrity before.

This way I can enjoy it for what it is now and not be lamenting what it used to be.

Bankruptcy is not in the horizon, the next generation will fill the cabins ;).

The introduction of the 'free bevy' program has brought in a huge influx of new clients.

Now, if they could just fix the website........

I haven't sailed with Celebrity in years, using instead Carnival and Norwegian for their price and or itinerary. But we are booked on the Infinty for Oct 1. I'm posting to list the fond memories we have of Celebrity that have made other cruises seem not quite up to par. I remember

Champagne and a cold damp cloth when returning to the ship from a port.

A person going around and misting people with a cool spray of water as they sunbathed.

Alternately another crew member went around with rolled up cool washcloths that they handed you with tongs so they were pristine.

I remember being addressed as Madam, as in "would madam care for more coffee?"

I remember drinks for $4.50 as liquor was duty free and cheap.

I remember tea time mid afternoon in one of the lounges where they went around with scones, jam and clotted cream.

Free drink were served on many occasions, ie past guest, and captains party

And I am not ancient. I'm 60 and these little luxurious memories are from about 15 years ago. We've been on 5 cruises since and always wish we were back on Celebrity because they do it right. Please, Tell me this Celebrity still exists.[/quote

Not ancient either but fteen years ago was a different era in cruising...but in our opinion Celeb is still a great choice. We recently strayed to a top level all inclusive and felt like past experience on Celeb...

Many of the little touches are no longer....no harpist or guitar or nice music when you board (replaced by loud dj and banging drum on our last cruise) , sparkling drink on boarding is a maybe, no escort to cabins, no afternoon sobet at pool or cooling cloths...more likely loud pool music, loud pool games...maybe they will be gone with less activity staff..general classy ambiance is lacking....does not always feel like a country club at sea like it used to...many lectures tie into shopping rather than learning..

we have embraced the S class ships, Blu and spa amenities but hope modern luxury prevails over becoming a feeding and drinking station for the masses!

,It is still much better for what we are looking for in a cruise compared to other line we tried recently where we felt like we were on a floating mall with mediocre food court...waiters were actually hawking wine aerators etc to guests in specialty restsurants...very tacky

Relatively new Celeb cruisers are often wowed.,....but should not be dismissive of those who recall and report how Modern Luxury is evolving with recent changes..less staff able to pamper guests...and DJ music no longer confined to clubs and discos that can absorb big sound....

newer cruisers may be unaware that in the past there were fewer X ships, they held fewer pax and for those who cruised multiple times each year... each cruise was like meeting up again with old friends and beloved staff We are adjusting to the larger ships and more anonymous experience but pls do not begrudge our comments

Sorry for long post .....

The quote and my commemt did not sep out correctly in above post....sorry

my comment is after the last word QUOTE and starts with " not ancient either"

hope everyone has a great day!

We are in the same line waiting for the same ticket :D 25 years of cruising, over 10 years on CC, and from time to time I try to get involved, but alas this is all about the Emperor has new clothes:rolleyes: mentality.

Sail on and enjoy, we will.

EW & Dana

ps: most are likely to never try another cruise line but want us and Celebrity to think they will. Tinkling brass as it says in the good Book.

I guess I am somewhere in between the seasoned cruisers and the newbies. I only discovered Celebrity in 2009, and sailed on (what I didn't know then) was the oldest and smallest in the fleet, the Century. I fell in love. I have since sailed on the newest, the Reflection, and many in between. Every experience has been enjoyable. Yes, some things have changed, but maybe some have changed for the better? I am a restaurant operator; I know and expect great food and service. My last visit on the Connie, just a few short weeks ago, delivered both. Dh and I are always very friendly with staff and maybe that affects how we are treated?? We understand long hours and demanding clients, and we always want the staff to know that we appreciate them. We got optimum service, always with a smile, from every staff member we encountered. Our dinners in Blu were great, and we LOVED the new vibe of the Martini bar; it was so much fun! As far as activities, trivia, etc., we did not partake, nor will we miss. We socialized with many from our roll call and planned activities with them on a daily basis. We also enjoyed quiet time in the spa. In all, it was another great vacation. I was on cruise, after all, and booked 2 more for 2015!!