Half portion in MDR

Marlster

I am not a big eater (except dessert) LOL. Can you order a half order of items on the menu. I always find the regular order too much for me but of coarse I am then onto the dessert menu, never too full for that. I always feel bad leaving food on my plate and turn around and order 2 desserts, maybe not really feeling bad just embarrased. Marly

My mother always orders a smaller portion of main courses that have the option. I know she can't get a smaller portion of prime rib or bone-in chicken dishes, but I think it's an option for everything else. After the second or third night, the waiters remember she likes smaller portions and beat her to specifying that.

Just ask your waiter, they'll know what can be served as smaller portions.

I just cut everything in half and leave the rest. It is embarrassing that the waiters make a federal case out of it when they should just remove the plate without comment. If the meal is especially good I may eat more but half is my general rule.

In shore restaurants my husband and I just order one meal and split it. Sometimes I swear we could feed a third person.

Edited by sapper1

On a recent cruise (this month) it was obvious that HAL had significantly reduced portion size from the norms of the recent past. Few meat portions exceeded 4 ounces, and were accompanied by one or two small pieces each of selected vegetables. A refreshing development.

That sounds promising. It literally takes my appetite away to be presented with a lumberjack sized portion of food. The portions on HAL aren't quite in that category but I'm sure you get the picture.

On a recent cruise (this month) it was obvious that HAL had significantly reduced portion size from the norms of the recent past. Few meat portions exceeded 4 ounces, and were accompanied by one or two small pieces each of selected vegetables. A refreshing development.

I would agree. On our recent NA cruise the entree portions were smaller then in the past. Not a bad thing in my opinion as it allows you to do an appetizer or salad and an entree without feeling stuffed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That sounds promising. It literally takes my appetite away to be presented with a lumberjack sized portion of food. The portions on HAL aren't quite in that category but I'm sure you get the picture.

In this era of cutbacks across the cruise industry, are any lines still serving "lumberjack" portions in the MDR? ( Self-serve buffets obviously a different matter.)

Hard to imagine cutting HAL portions in half. Lately, with many dishes, they have already done that for you :). It appears that HAL, in an effort to cut costs, has reduced portion sizes in a major way...especially when it comes to dishes with more expensive ingredients. One certainly gets more then enough to eat by ordering multiple courses, but no concern about too much on any one dish. As to ordering small portions, folks need to understand that this just puts an extra burden on the wait staff and also costs them valuable time while they wait at stations in the galley while staff has to specially plate smaller portions. So the real impact of asking for special orders is to slow down service to your table (and every other table handled by your server).

Hank

In this era of cutbacks across the cruise industry, are any lines still serving "lumberjack" portions in the MDR? ( Self-serve buffets obviously a different matter.)

If you read my post again I did say that the lumberjack portions did not apply to HAL. I was speaking of the food service industry as a whole.

I had gastric bypass surgery three years ago and can really only eat small portions. I just ask the waiter to give me the smallest plate out of the ones he brings to the table. I explained to him why and they have always been really good about it and don't question the leftovers on my plate.

We should add that HAL also imposes a lot of portion control in the Lido. Most of the dishes (with the exception of the salad bar and a few other things) are portioned-out by servers. It is very easy to ask them for more, but apparently most folks do not ask for more.....whereas if they were to dish out their own portions they would take more. Even at the sandwich bar (in the Lido) they will make a sandwich with a relatively small amount of meat/cheese unless you specifically ask for more.

Hank

You are allowed to order a second entree serving.

igraf

I've enjoyed the traditionally smaller portions on the cruises I've been on. There is always plenty of food --- I almost always start with HAL's fruit soups!-- by the time the meal is done, and I think that's one reason I have only rarely gained weight on a cruise. Of course, I don't drink, so that help's too. Plus I've found that the wait staff is always very accommodating to unconventional requests, such as an appetizer for a main course, etc. One advantage of fixed dining is that the waiters get to know one's preferences for all sorts of things.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I will the first night order like everyone else and see how big the portion is.

On our Alaska cruise last year one night they had crab legs as an appie loved it, so on the way back I ordered 3 orders of that same appie and made it my main.

I dont blame them for cutting back the portions. I guess in the buffet the food is served to you, is that right? That is what I liked on Oceania, they served you. I have seen so many times over the years the people in the buffet use those large plates and pile them so high, and I am sure they eat like that 3 times a day YIKES. Marlene

A few years ago I was on board for our Canadian Thanksgiving and I felt honour bound to order Turkey etc., but other entrees looked more interesting. I asked if they could do an appetizer-sized plate of the traditional stuff and I was served "the works" on the smaller plate.

HAL cut main portion sizes quite a while ago. I'm now noticing big cuts in appetizer, soup, salad and dessert size. Dinner is more of a tasting event which is OK as the food is generally good, but not great. Someone mentioned turkey, I think this is HAL's best dish, I always look forward to it. Their beef dishes haven't been good in quite a while, endless versions of tough strip loin.

Edited by sammiedawg

I feel that the portions have been radically reduced in the MDR. In the Pinnacle Grill, the portions are somewhat larger and the sides are wonderful.

I never feel over-served in the MDR. Dessert is OK and normal in size.

I came back from this most recent cruise at almost the same weight as I started and today I am actually down a few. :p