TSA pre-screening?

blythe

How much of an advantage, in time and convenience, is it to get the pre-screening? Does it save much time and hassle?

It depends on the airport and the time of day. And how the moon and stars align. 9/10 times it speeds me through quickly. But once in a while there will be so many people that the PreCheck line is bother longer AND slower than the regular line. This has increased as random, often inexperienced travelers are given PreCheck for their trip.

I love it. It's usually great. But there are problems sometimes. Also, my home airport has very limited PreCheck - not every airport has it, and not every checkpoint has a PreCheck line.

My problem with Precheck, and both my DH and I have it, is that often one of us has our number come up for the random check. And because in some airports( such as Dulles) the two lines are not next to each other we both end up going through the regular line so we are not separated. Thus no time saved!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When they were handing out PreCheck at random I got it and my wife did not (same PNR) so I went on the regular line. At the TSA Document Check the TSA Agent pointed this out to me and I explained I'm staying with DW. The agent then wrote Pre Check on hers and sent us over to the Pre-Check scan area where we didn't have to do the entire disrobe take out routine.

Only happened once and now the PreCheck line at T8 JFK (AA) they are doing chemical swipes on everyone in line BEFORE the document check so I don't know how much time that is adding to the process.

FWIW

I have PreCheck as part of Global Entry.

As others have said, for the most part, it is a real time saver. Every once in a while the PreCheck line(s) are slower than the regular lines, but that doesn't happen too often.

I think the best advantage is not having to take your darn shoes and belt off!

What are chemical swipes? We last flew in March and I don't remember those.

They are little white dry pads that are used to swipe your palms. Then they are put in some kind of machine, presumably to detect any residue on hands from explosives I imagine. They aren't used all the time.

Thanks for the info. We have never been subjected to the chemical swipes before. My husband wants us to get the pre-screening to make things a little easier. The only time we ever fly is when we cruise and it has gotten to the point where I really detest everything associated with flying. I love to cruise so would like to develop some strategies that would make the flying part a little less repulsive. Also, with the Ebola threat, I don't think things will get better.

Then they are put in some kind of machine, presumably to detect any residue on hands from explosives I imagine.
Yes, it's usually used as an explosives residue detector.

It's not just for hands. Airport security often swabs to test bags and contents. And I regularly get my car swabbed to test for this when I drive to one of my local shopping centres.

Thanks for the info. We have never been subjected to the chemical swipes before. My husband wants us to get the pre-screening to make things a little easier. The only time we ever fly is when we cruise and it has gotten to the point where I really detest everything associated with flying. I love to cruise so would like to develop some strategies that would make the flying part a little less repulsive. Also, with the Ebola threat, I don't think things will get better.

The application fee for PreCheck is $85 and Global Entry (which also includes PreCheck) is $100. For the extra $15, you might want to consider Global Entry.

Both programs are good for 5 years.

They are little white dry pads that are used to swipe your palms. Then they are put in some kind of machine, presumably to detect any residue on hands from explosives I imagine. They aren't used all the time.

They will detect glycerine used in some hand lotions/creams and soaps. Also, be sure you do no gardening before you leave - traces of fertilizer will be detected!!!

If you are willing to pay for Pre-Check, spend the extra few dollars and get Global Entry. It gets you Pre-Check, expedited Immigration and Customs processing, and a nice Government-issued ID with no PII on it to use anywhere you are asked to show an ID.

What are chemical swipes? We last flew in March and I don't remember those.

I work behind security at NY Airports and have only noticed this at T8 at JFK. The PreCheck line after the rent a cop checks your boarding pass for precheck or whatever you get in line for it. At the first turn in the queue they have two chemical detection machines and two officers swiping one hand of anyone in the precheck line. You are asked to wait until the machine processes the wipe then you procede to document check by TSA Agent then to the XRay, body scan etc.

I bring a lot of electronic equiment thru TSA including a laser printer. All the bags are subject to being wiped down for this test but that is after the x-ray. First time I ever saw them do it before.

The old backscater machines (that's the one showing body image in another room they don't have anymore) I left my wallet in my pocket. I was required to have the chemical test done on my hand or the choice of a body pat down. I took the chemical test, real quick.

I'm also 6'8" so my head in the current body scanner is out of range of the sensor and alarms (I do not work for the Airport/Airline/Shops so I can't go thru the metal detector). That's when you get a yellow square on the body image after you exit. About 1 out of 5 times they ask to touch my head, most of the time I'm waved thru. When they do ask to touch my head depending on my mood I'll ask them to reglove first. The reactions I get would be a whole other topic thread.

FWIW

Our home airport is Atlanta and PreCheck is generally fast. But two things to note - I read an interview last week with one of the head honchos from the TSA and he said they were planning to ramp up TSA enrollments --- encourage more people to get TSA PreCheck. That's going to make the lines longer.

My second point is more of a gripe. A few weeks ago we were moving along smoothly in the security line until the woman in front of me had to stop to undo the five straps on each of her spike heeled shoes. I reminded her that she didn't need to take off her shoes, but she said they had steel heels so they had to go through the scanner. She said they were her most comfortable travel shoes. She held up all of us while she slowly undid all 10 (total) straps. My point is, as another poster noted, TSA PreCheck can be slowed down considerably by those who don't know what they're doing (or who insist on wearing ridiculous shoes :roll eyes: ).

Edited by JanineM

Our home airport is Atlanta and PreCheck is generally fast. But two things to note - I read an interview last week with one of the head honchos from the TSA and he said they were planning to ramp up TSA enrollments --- encourage more people to get TSA PreCheck. That's going to make the lines longer.

My second point is more of a gripe. A few weeks ago we were moving along smoothly in the security line until the woman in front of me had to stop to undo the five straps on each of her spike heeled shoes. I reminded her that she didn't need to take off her shoes, but she said they had steel heels so they had to go through the scanner. She said they were her most comfortable travel shoes. She held up all of us while she slowly undid all 10 (total) straps. My point is, as another poster noted, TSA PreCheck can be slowed down considerably by those who don't know what they're doing (or who insist on wearing ridiculous shoes :roll eyes: ).

I would have just walked around her.

I would have just walked around her.

I did that once at DCA when I was behind a woman who was in full business attire, not experienced in pre-check and began taking everything off. Just went around and she looked at me like she wanted to punch me in the throat.

• 2 weeks later...
Does the Global work on domestic flights as well as international?

Thanks for any help. A

Yes, GE DOES work for getting in on the TSA Pre-Check lotto. I've used it more times for domestic travel than international lately. Just put your GOES number in the "trusted traveler" field of the PII field of your airlines' website.

The GE card comes in handy for me as my "federally issued ID" when I travel - no need for prying eyes to see my address, etc...

There is no immigration and customs for US domestic flights. Global entry is for returning from international flights.

Not true. It works with the expedited GE Kiosks on return with international flights AND it gets you TSA Pre-Check. Done both for a few years now!!!

Edited by slidergirl

Not true. It works with the expedited GE Kiosks on return with international flights AND it gets you TSA Pre-Check. Done both for a few years now!!!

Sorry, not clear what your point is. If you have Global Entry, you are eligible for TSA precheck if you are flying on a participating airline. It never guarantees you pre check.

I said GE was good only on international flight returns to the US, and that's correct. You don't use GE for domestic flights.

Edited by 6rugrats

Sorry, not clear what your point is. If you have Global Entry, you are eligible for TSA precheck if you are flying on a participating airline. It never guarantees you pre check.

I said GE was good only on international flight returns to the US, and that's correct. You don't use GE for domestic flights.

I said in the one previous message that it gets you into the Pre-Check lotto ;)

Trust me - GE works on domestics flights. Your GE card has a GOES number on it. That is what you enter on your airline site as your "Trusted Traveler" number. You don't have a GE Kiosk - yes, that is just on international returns - but you have the number. Works just fine for the 3 years that I've had GE.

They will detect glycerine used in some hand lotions/creams and soaps. Also, be sure you do no gardening before you leave - traces of fertilizer will be detected!!!

If you are willing to pay for Pre-Check, spend the extra few dollars and get Global Entry. It gets you Pre-Check, expedited Immigration and Customs processing, and a nice Government-issued ID with no PII on it to use anywhere you are asked to show an ID.

My son got flagged because he participates in Civil War Reenactment and rolls his own cartridges using black powder. Residue got on his backpack and lit up the machine like a Christmas tree. Or at least that's what we think, we never entirely figured it out, as they wouldn't tell us what they were looking for as they patted him down and searched every nook and cranny of his backpack. Glad it contained a change of clothes, a notepad and pencil, a travel toothbrush and paste, and deodorant, and nothing else. They kept looking and looking, and there was nothing to find. It actually got kind of comical.