Help with Hotel in Galveston.

audcc77

We are having trouble getting a decent hotel for a decent price. I would like something on par w/ Hampton/Hilton. I like them b/c they wash ALL bedding btwn guests. I just finished paying $160 grand total for a night’s stay in Baltimore (includes 7-days parking) & that seemed very reasonable.

It looks like Galveston is ridiculously expensive even though I’m looking to book almost 1 year in advance. We’re spending 18 hrs on the road so will arrive at 8 p.m. the night before the cruise so will have no time to do anything once there b/c it will be dark. I wouldn’t mind arriving a day or 2 prior, but at $250/300 per night, that’s not worth it.

Should we stay in Houston, leave our car @ the hotel & get a shuttle service? If I’m paying $$ for my family of 3 on the shuttle, then I may as well spend $200-$250 for a room even though all we will do is sleep there & leave.

I've been on almost 15 cruises & always paid a little under $200 for the hotel, cab fare, parking, breakfast - grand total. Am I missing something here ?

Please share your experiences.

Thanks.

As others have said short stop in Webster, fiendswood , Texas city .

When are you cruising? It may be that your need is on a special events weekend, or you are trying to book too far out.

Galveston is a destination and has two convention centers and many special events. It can be a fun town on a coastal island !

Edited by ssb

We used to stay in Galveston before cruise but prices doubled and most good hotels now require a 2 night stay, so now we book something around Hobby airport about 45 mins away, many good hotels about 100, we will be at a doubletree in 11 days

I suggest Texas City. With the idea of just staying for the night (and NO frills), you can get a hotel in the $75 range, maybe a little more, then pay the $75 for a week's parking at the port and come out ahead of the $300 per night on the island. Texas City to the Port is 15-20 minutes by car.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Even though our cruise is April 2017, the Hilton website says that it is all sold out. After calling Hilton Honors, they say that is b/c it is too far out. (IMO they should just say "not available yet" or something rather than all sold out.)

At any rate, I guess we'll spend the night 20-30 away & then park at the port.

That does make better sense in the long run.

Thanks again for the great ideas.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Even though our cruise is April 2017, the Hilton website says that it is all sold out. After calling Hilton Honors, they say that is b/c it is too far out. (IMO they should just say "not available yet" or something rather than all sold out.)

At any rate, I guess we'll spend the night 20-30 away & then park at the port.

That does make better sense in the long run.

Thanks again for the great ideas.

You can always get rooms short stopped, you could keep calling honors and hotel direct as you go along in time until it opens up.

You can always get rooms short stopped, you could keep calling honors and hotel direct as you go along in time until it opens up.

We are Honors people and have stayed there a couple of times but now can only get it with a 2 night stay and double the old price

Most hotels don't open booking greater than a year out

We have found as it gets closer to cruise, we have found the 2 night limit to be lifted at some properties

Also if you check 3rd party sites, sometimes you find single nights available

BUt YES prices of hotels on weekends can be ALOT MORE EXPENSIVE than cruising out of other ports

Edited by jonbgd

We have stayed in Galveston, Texas city, kemah, etc. cheaper to stay right outside of Galveston and drive in. We live in Houston and drive in to Galveston that morning of thr cruise. You could try some chains further down on the strip like Hampton, best western, Laquinta, etc to get rates and they are closer but will save tons more by staying in the next suburb over.

We live in Texas, and have attended weddings in Galveston before and will be sailing out May 1 this year. We have dealt with this issue before. First, you're absolutely right- Galveston is an expensive place to stay hotel wise. What we've done both times with success is use priceline 2-3 weeks prior. I just did this for our upcoming cruise, as well. We have successfully gotten 3* hotels (Hilton once, Springhill suites by Marriott another) for $140-$150 a night. This is what I would suggest. You can also book in towns such as Texas City, which are only 15-20 minutes from the port for much less and use a parking lot other than port (for $47-60 for a 7 day cruise).

Houston is the 4th largest city in the country...there are thousands of hotel rooms within an hour drive of Galveston. There really is NO reason to worry about a hotel room this far out. If need be you can stop north of Houston and get in earlier 6pm or so and have a nice dinner, get a good nights sleep, wake up have breakfast and leave by 8 or 9 and STILL be on the island in plenty of time to make your cruise. Plus you wont have to pay Galveston prices.

I understand the brand loyalty. Consider Doubletree also a Hilton Brand, etc. All other major brands will wash sheets as you indicated, if that is your issue.

Not knowing your dates I cannot tell if there is a convention or festival in Galveston. Hotels will hold rooms for festivals and conventions as they are booked in blocks at least 330 (airline maximum) days out.

As others have indicated, consider getting back on the mainland is your best bet. I recommend some distance away from Hobby, but the Webster, Texas City, Kemah area will offer better pricing. Check your hotel locations on a map and use a car/limo/shuttle service to get to the port. Try to get to the port no earlier than 11:30 to allow previous cruiser traffic to thin out for best travel experience.

I booked a room at the Tremont House (a Wyndham property) through hotels.com for August at $160 a night. It appears to be an "historic" hotel, but from the website (and reviews) it looks very nice. Best of all, it's just a block or two from the terminal. Hotels.com reviewers give it a 4.6/5. Admittedly, I haven't stayed there yet, but I'm looking forward to it. BTW, there were cheaper rates, but I wanted to be able to cancel if I needed to. The cheaper rates were non-refundable.

There is a new Days Inn in Galveston on the West side. We have stayed there several times and it is available a year out for around $89+ - free cancellation. It is clean, free breakfast and wifi, only complaint - the walls are a little thin, ask for the top floor. We park at EZ Cruise Parking for $48 - $54 a week if booked on line - cost depends if you want to use the shuttle or walk the couple of blocks.

Carla

Edited by golfpccc

There is a new Days Inn in Galveston on the West side. We have stayed there several times and it is available a year out for around $85+ - free cancellation. It is clean, free breakfast and wifi, only complaint - the walls are a little thin, ask for the top floor. We park at EZ Cruise Parking for $48 - $54 a week if booked on line - price depends if you want to use the shuttle or walk the couple of blocks.

Carla

There is a new Days Inn in Galveston on the West side. We have stayed there several times and it is available a year out for around $85+ - free cancellation. It is clean, free breakfast and wifi, only complaint - the walls are a little thin, ask for the top floor. We park at EZ Cruise Parking for $48 - $54 a week if booked on line - price depends if you want to use the shuttle or walk the couple of blocks.

Carla

That's where we stayed before our cruise last week. It was nice. I have it booked for next year also.

The trick to getting good prices is checking as soon as they start taking reservations and when the rate goes down reserve it. We only get rooms that we can cancel without penalty.

Edited by mistshar

If you are open to going down a couple of days before maybe look into getting a condo. We are leaving on Carnival Liberty on June 27, going down on June 25 and got a condo for $377 for 2 nights from vrbo.com.