Oil Prices Down why are flights so high?

SweetCheeks Cruiser

Won't it be funny if trans Atlantic ship travel becomes less costly (assuming you have the time) than flying? Ocean liners have much better amenities than anything with wings and for what you pay - are a bargain. Talk about going full circle ;). Are blimps in our future :)?

I feel you lol going from SoCal to FL in Feb is a nice sticker shock :) but in the end, I am watching 2 flights right now and so far price is holding steady. What I did was switch my days. I originally was going to fly in the day before but then my hotel was astronomical so I looked at a redeye the day before landing early morning of cruise day (like 6am) and then stay extra night on the end which lowered my hotel cost by at least half... Made no sense LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am flying fromLAX to MIA infeb......and the price is only $150 pp eachway on United or American coach...........that's pretty darn cheap.. what do you consider expensive???

not flying Feb 19-24 for presidents ......But but everyone knows that holiday fares are always hacked up I am flying 12 and 23 darn cheap....

These are the cheapest fares I have seen in years !!! Expensive?????I don't see it.

As to charging more...it is a business...and for the past decade all airlines have been loosing tens of millions per month.... many bankruptcy filed..... I cant blame them for wanting to make some money back....

Won't it be funny if trans Atlantic ship travel becomes less costly (assuming you have the time) than flying? Ocean liners have much better amenities than anything with wings and for what you pay - are a bargain. Talk about going full circle ;). Are blimps in our future :)?

you can get a NY to London ship for under $2400 each way a business class air fare cost $5254 one way I always take cruises that have a trans pacific or Atlantic destination so air is cut in half and if your careful you can get a free coach for 35,000 or a lie flat business seat for70,000 miles ( except fromUK who charges people who use ff miles to flyfrom UK a whopping $150 incoach and $325 in business, departure tax!!!!

Thanks for all the replies. Still watching prices....currently the cheapest would be Southwest out of Minneapolis (no baggage fees) for about $450.00 per person. It hasn't changed much over the past couple months. We always fly in a couple days prior and will fly home on a Saturday when the ship comes back to Port. Even if we waited until Monday it still doesn't come down much.

Because $450 rt from a non major hub is pretty good. If I fly LA to MIA ist 150 or 300 rt UAL/ American ( no baggage fee)but If I fly Palm springs to MIA same dated its $536 rt....

CruiserBruce, I've done over 1.5 million miles on commercial airlines flying in everything from DC-3s as a kid to over the pond trips on Concord while working. I'm happily not a business traveler any more :D. I'm sick of airlines, airports and figuring out all the different prices one could pay for the same seat to avoid getting screwed by overpaying :mad:. Unfortunately my wife isn't an 'at sea day' ship fan due to motion sickness problems if the seas get angry. That means we still need airlines to start a trip.

Traveling with my parents as a kid on the big liners to Europe will never disappear from my memory (boy, those were the days) but my wife would rather stick a finger down her throat for four days than sail from New York to England by ship. Long short, we're still spending 'years' in airports trying to catch flights on planes with seats designed to hold a folded road map :mad:. You almost have to pay double what a coach seat costs to be in the Business Class section of a long haul flight these days (that's the section where you actually have enough room to take your folded legs out of your hand carry and travel like a human). Putting all those FF Miles to work is no treat either.

• 2 weeks later...

6-8 yrs ago they always threatened and followed through that if oil prices were about $70/BB there would be a surcharge. Why, since its less than half that price it doesnt show a DROP in prices?? Crappy cruise companies...dont trust them at all!

Edited by RBoy

One man's greed is another man's profit. Many of us have investments that we hope will fund our travels, and guess what? The more profit companies make, the greater the value of our investments. You can't have your cake and eat it.

One man's greed is another man's profit. Many of us have investments that we hope will fund our travels, and guess what? The more profit companies make, the greater the value of our investments. You can't have your cake and eat it.

You don't need greed in order to make profits and treat shareholders well. Might help to read some business articles :D

• 3 weeks later...

i was able to change the flights that I purchased from Southwest for my Fort Lauderdale arrival in the first week of March. Prices much cheaper, more Wanna getaway fares opened up this week, and now I have all nonstop flights for less than what I initially paid!

Not to worry....he'll vote for Bernie, who will just issue executive orders mandating low prices and no baggage fees. It'll be great till they all go out of business.

Hey Raider: How come you make so much money? Is the company you work for so greedy they can pay you more than the guy flipping burgers?

(Just for illustration...one man's greed is another's [fill in the blank])

Love your post.