Digital Boarding Passes

kelkel2

How do they work? I have the Delta app and will have the basic wifi plan on our cruise so I will be able to check in.

On our last cruise we flew southwest so I actually got online and printed out a boarding pass and it ended up taking so much time, effort, and money too.

I guess I am a bit traditional and I like having the boarding pass in my hand, but on this cruise I refuse to waste time and money printing something in the internet cafe. I'll just check in on my app.

So what is the process of the boarding pass when it's digital? I'll be checking my spouse and I both in, but he doesn't have the app, does he need it and does he need to check himself in? Maybe I'm over thinking this. When you get to the airport to check your luggage do they print you a paper boarding pass?

I have used United's, but not Delta's. If similar, all you need to do once you get cell coverage in the port is go onto the app, and download the digital BP. Then, at the airport, a scanner reads the little bar code like thing (don't know it's official name) right off your phone. Works very well- important point, tho- how wide spread are Delta's readers?

The same code will be read at the TSA stop. You will have BPs for all in your party, so it may take a minute to switch between people, as they compare with your ID.

Again, this is how United's works. I would think it would be similar with Delta.

Bruce is correct, Delta's (and Southwest's) work similar. I have found that after checking in and having the boarding pass on my screen (with the QR code-that's the official name according to my friend google of the bar code square) I take a screen shot (on my iPhone6, I click the on/off button and the home button at the same time). That way I don't have to have wifi to pull it up at TSA or the gate. DH saves his to "Passbook" which is a built in app on Apple just for that purpose.

I'd suggest that if you did the same with both your and your spouse's boarding passes, then it would make it easier at TSA and the gate.

Have a great cruise!

Clay

DH saves his to "Passbook" which is a built in app on Apple just for that purpose.

Now called "Wallet"

Yes, do it for eachother because several times I've been stuck behind people who can't figure out the where all the BPs have gone for the one device. Grrrr

How do they work? I have the Delta app and will have the basic wifi plan on our cruise so I will be able to check in.

When you get to the airport to check your luggage do they print you a paper boarding pass?

I fly Delta all the time. 1) You don't need to worry about having the ship's wifi; just wait til the ship docks and you have regular cellular coverage and you can check in then and get your mobile boarding pass. 2) If you prefer a paper boarding pass, then you can ask the check-in agent when you check your bags to please print them for you, or you can go to a kiosk and do it yourself.

Then, at the airport, a scanner reads the little bar code like thing (don't know it's official name) right off your phone. Works very well- important point, tho- how wide spread are Delta's readers?

Delta's mobile boarding passes are read by the same exact scanners that read the paper boarding passes and they are at every gate, so it doesn't matter what kind of boarding pass you have.

Thanks guys...

I'm trying to understand the benefit. It sounds messy, like if there were just one person, it would be easy but with me checking my spouse and I both in, it just sound like unless he has the app as well it's just easier to do paper. I will however do the check in from my phone. Let me make sure I have this correctly so I can make sure I do this the fastest most efficient way possible.

If I check in online and have luggage to check in, do I need to go to the check in counter? Can I just curbside check in my bags and then proceed to the kiosk, print paper boarding passes and then go to the security line? We will be going through FLL after our cruise and have an 11:35 flight so I want to waste no time.

Also I'm assuming I can do this on the way to the cruise in midway as well? We will for sure have paper boarding passes as I am checking in at home.

We have used mobile boarding passes for years now. You need either cell service or wifi to check in. Then you have the airline email or text you a mobile boarding pass. In foreign countries I always take a screenshot of the mobile boarding pass " just in case". Never had a problem yet. We have done this with domestic and international airlines, both large and small. Just be sure you have the barcode showing on your pass.

Edited by Viv0828

Let me make sure I have this correctly so I can make sure I do this the fastest most efficient way possible.

If I check in online and have luggage to check in, do I need to go to the check in counter? Can I just curbside check in my bags and then proceed to the kiosk, print paper boarding passes and then go to the security line?

You can check in online, as soon as you have cell service, or via the ship's wifi. To check your bags and/or get paper boarding passes you have 3 options:

1. curbside check-in, if available. They can check bags and IME can print BP's as well

2. check in counter- check bags and print BP's,

3. Kiosk- print BP's and indicate that you have bags to check, after which you get in a separate "bag check line" which is one of the counter agent's designated to just check bags for people who already have a boarding pass and don't need any other assistance.

We have used mobile boarding passes for years now. You need either cell service or wifi to check in. Then you have the airline email or text you a mobile boarding pass.

Actually, if you have the Delta app, as the OP said she does, you can bring up the BP (once checked in) directly from the app, via the option to "view boarding pass."

Edited by waterbug123

Recently the TSA scanner wouldn't read my paper boarding pass and I needed to use the one on my phone, so I carry both for the opposite reason!

One time at EWR UA's TSA scanners were not working and everyone was sent back to the counter to get printed tickets. A total mess. Worse the non-TSA document checker at the beginning of the TSA line didn't tell anyone. You had to get all the way up to the TSA document/ID check before being sent back.

That was a fun line.

One time at EWR UA's TSA scanners were not working and everyone was sent back to the counter to get printed tickets. A total mess. Worse the non-TSA document checker at the beginning of the TSA line didn't tell anyone. You had to get all the way up to the TSA document/ID check before being sent back.

That was a fun line.

I can't even imagine what a hot mess that was! I'm sure there were some missed flights that day!