Bit of a Blog : Oasis of the Seas : B2B : Barcelona – Rotterdam : September 18th '14

For those of you new to my blogs I’m a lady of uncertain age with an addiction to cruises. I have 3 grown daughters, a son-in-law, two little grandsons and a granddog. I booked this B2B on the 9th April….. when the itineraries were released…. That’s in 2013….. so 527 days out…… whilst I was on the phone with my TA the prices were going up……. Originally I booked the same inside room (L) on deck 12. After final payment, with various price drops in play I am in a D2 Oceanview Balcony, same room for both legs, for less than £150 extra including my Diamond discount.

I’m flying in the day of the cruise with BA from Heathrow. I’m usually adamant about allowing at least one day pre cruise but I decided to tighten my belt a tad this trip. I’ve pre-booked a transfer to the port with Resorthoppa. Coming home I’ve pre-booked a cab to pick me and some roll call members up; I’m taking the train from Rotterdam Centraal Station to Brussels then Eurostar to London, my home town. I love train rides! In Rome and Naples I am with roll call members with RomeInLimo. We are going to the Vatican City and the Colosseum in Rome with pre-purchased tickets for entry, and Pompeii/Sorrento/Positano in Naples. I’ve been to Ravello for a long weekend previously and love the area.

For the first cruise I’ve booked 150 Central Park for the first night, Solarium Bistro the 2nd night and Giovanni’s table for the last sea day evening. I have the Royal Replenish Package pre-reserved for both cruises. For the 2nd cruise I’ve booked MTD each night at 615pm….. the system wouldn’t allow me to just book the first night as I’ve done previously. I’m happy to wing the other nights but find the first night MDR scrum difficult. I believe muster will be 530pm and sailaway 7pm. We’ll see. I know which MDR menus I like and will happily dine elsewhere including WindJammer. I had thought about not using the MDR at all for dinner on either cruise…. I just love the rack of lamb….. rare….

We had to wait a long time for show reservations to go live on the planner. I’ll be seeing Hairspray, the last performance on the 2nd cruise. ‘Oasis of Dreams’, ‘Come Fly With Me’ and ‘Frozen in Time’ also for the 2nd cruise. I have Headliner tickets for both cruises but I’ll decide on the day if I’ll go. And a ticket for the Stand Up Comedy Show.

I’ve been posting the occasional teaser about this blog being different to the previous ones.

This is where you come in. I’ve never sailed Oasis class before. It’s down to you to tell me where to go and what to photograph to prove I’ve been there, done that. I will NOT be going on the Flowrider (replaced hip). As well as writing the blog I will be compiling an Oasis guidebook for free distribution here. I’m aware that post-drydock there will be changes and hope to enlist the help of people on the TA and after to fill in the gaps. I expect to find out as much as I can about what is definitely happening as I know the anticipation is great.

I have a friend I had hoped to visit in Malaga but she’s going to be visiting in the UK then; my favourite shop is in the main shopping district unless you can come up with something more exciting. Another friend, met on CC then on a cruise, was on the Oasis TA coming over. I am also putting myself in your hands as to what to do in Vigo. I’ve been there before and went to the beach, toured the town in a taxi and watched my eldest daughter eat oysters. Tell me where to go / what to do. I’ll do it / eat it / wear it. There is a budget of €50 for each day.

So here’s the deal. I will post info as previously. Whether you’ve been on Oasis or not you HAVE to set me tasks. I’ve avoided as much info on Oasis as I can so it will all be new. Be creative & imaginative and give me a super 12 days.

Since my return from Legend 11 weeks ago I have lost 19lbs. On purpose. I am less camera shy. Let’s do this!

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Hi Linda

Hope you have a great cruise

Wanting to follow you along for this one.

One for you, can you sneak a peak at cabin 11240 port side mid-ship just forward of the CL.

Also confirm if you can enter CL from Deck 11 and Deck 12

And a photo of the pinnacle lounge, before it is converted;)

Cheers me Dears'

Happy Days!

Linda, is the Zipline a possibility?

Yeap. ;)

Hi Linda

Hope you have a great cruise

Wanting to follow you along for this one.

One for you, can you sneak a peak at cabin 11240 port side mid-ship just forward of the CL.

Also confirm if you can enter CL from Deck 11 and Deck 12

And a photo of the pinnacle lounge, before it is converted;)

Cheers me Dears'

Happy Days!

Not got my notebook sorted yet!! Bet get it out and start taking requests! Something for turnaround day.....

Hello excited to read your blog, I am new to cruising first cruise on SplendourOTS next year.I have booked through a well known Internet TA and received free flights to Venice.Is it still worth ringing my TA for price drops?

Will be following this blog...Hi Linda

hmmmm

photo of the large Central Park balconies deck 11 next to the Living wall and speaking of the Living wall some photos of that.

I would be interested if you can find out what they will do with the plant life in Central Park for the Atlantic crossing...leave it alone, remove them??

Oh yes have a wonderful time.

Hello excited to read your blog, I am new to cruising first cruise on SplendourOTS next year.I have booked through a well known Internet TA and received free flights to Venice.Is it still worth ringing my TA for price drops?

Well..... you need to check for price drops yourself THEN call the TA..... hope you've confirmed with them that there won't be an issue with this as quite often they book a group rate and will quibble about a drop application....

I have to go head to Boots for some last minute shopping.... soooo excited!

Linda when in Vigo you may want to try this restaurant out.

El Mosquito!! They do not bite and great sea food.

All fresh and the selection is amazing. If you are a sea food lover:)

From the port head west on Avenue Beiramar.

Was a few years ago we went there, from recollection, about 2 miles from terminal and was I think €5 or thereabouts.

Here is the map and website for you to look at.

http://www.elmosquitovigo.com/restaurante_en.html

imagejpg1_zps70339db9.jpg

Had another idea Linda. Please take a photo of the obstruction on deck 7 aft that prevents passage between the aft elevator lobbies.

Bob,

Just off Oasis TA and that obstruction caused me a bit of a surprise on boarding day. Our cabin, 7666, was located at aft stairway, but I took port side elevator that first evening and my cabin was so close, but so far away:) Clear plexiglass partitions separate port from starboard elevator lobbies on each side as it is an open story to the entrance to the Boardwalk below.

But, alas, no photo.

Hi Linda!! I am going to be following along and can't wait for you to experience one of my favorite ships! Can't wait to see it through your eyes! I will be on the western TA on October 14 out of Rotterdam. I am excited to see what they change.

Had another idea Linda. Please take a photo of the obstruction on deck 7 aft that prevents passage between the aft elevator lobbies.

I can answer this question, because I have stayed starboard side oceanview aft on deck 7. The entrance to Boardwalk on deck 6 is two stories tall and that prevents a walkway from the starboard aft elevators to the portside aft elevators on Deck 7 We would just go up the stairs or down the stairs one level if we wanted the elevators on the other side.

One thing we thought was really fun about being on that deck aft was that we could walk all the way to the back of the ship and there was a door that lead out to the Aqua theatre area and a stairwell that we could take one flight down to the Boardwalk area. We were pretty far aft, and this came in really handy when we wanted to go to Johnny Rockets for breakfast!

Edited by breeezy

Subscribing.

Looking forward to any intel you can get on the "new" concierge lounge and dynamic dining changes. I know there is a prevalent rumor that the old CL will become Coastal Kitchen. Fingers crossed. Also what Seafood Shack will become.

Thank you any tidbits you find. Have a wonderful cruise!

Bob, here's a photo showing 2 story Boardwalk entrance. Though barely visible, the plexiglass is at top left and right on 7. Guess I should let Linda get a better picture:)

image.jpg.48ed2b9e183b555d4a2813d9da0f5602.jpg

Bob, here's a photo showing 2 story Boardwalk entrance. Though barely visible, the plexiglass is at top left and right on 7. Guess I should let Linda get a better picture:)

Thank-you Paige. We've been on Allure, but just never wandered back to that area of deck 7. Many people ask about that obstruction, so I thought it would be nice to have a photo.

Oh boy this is going to be fun. We are doing our first B2B on Oasis, after she comes back from refit. So I am very eager to read all about your adventure.

I have a fun suggestion while you are checking out the ship. Look for the "Small Wonders":

"Guests will marvel at the Small Wonders – a program featuring 42 surprise natural wonders, positioned throughout the ship and designed to delight guests while creating the feeling of being on a scavenger hunt! Larry Kirkland presents 23 pieces of tiny wonders in “hand forged interior-lit bronze microscopic vessels… placed randomly throughout” the ship. "

If this seems too large a task, just look for the 23 bronze microscopes.

Enjoy yourself...I know I will have a great time following along!

Excited that I can say I will be sailing with you this time.

Have a safe journey and I will see you on the Oasis of the Seas tomorrow.

We are leaving home at 3am.

Heather

Hi Heather. Leaving 4am here...

Go get a fortune reading from Zoltar!

Have a great time and ENJOY!! I'll be watching from here... knowing my turn is coming soon! ;)

I will so long as there's a giant keyboard for me to play chopsticks on...... or is there really a Zoltar machine? :cool: