Noise cancelling headphones or earbuds

midwestchick

Does anyone have either one of these? I'm hoping to get something that will cancel out the noise on flights. DH reminded me how cranky I can sometimes get on flights, especially when there are screaming babies.

Thoughts and opinions appreciated.

I usually can't sleep on flights but I'm hoping something like this will help on our upcoming flight. It would be nice to be somewhat rested when we arrive in France.

I too have the Bose noise cancelling headphones and find them invaluable on long distance flights. They, along with an eye mask, inflatable neck pillow, comfy silk blanket and a glass of wine;) allowed me to sleep for five hours on our flight home from South Africa last year. Now I just need to find a good, compact seat cushion:)

Another helpful forum for air travel is FlyerTalk. You might find something there. I sympathize with you. I am a very light sleeper and have searched high and low for something to block out everything, to no avail. I use the Bose headset while listening to some very relaxing and unobtrusive instrumental music, New Age stuff. That pretty much blocks out everything except a baby shrieking. You could try Mack's ear plugs. Lots cheaper, less bulk, but not as effective. Sorry, I haven't tried the ear buds.

Another helpful forum for air travel is FlyerTalk. You might find something there. I sympathize with you. I am a very light sleeper and have searched high and low for something to block out everything, to no avail. I use the Bose headset while listening to some very relaxing and unobtrusive instrumental music, New Age stuff. That pretty much blocks out everything except a baby shrieking. You could try Mack's ear plugs. Lots cheaper, less bulk, but not as effective. Sorry, I haven't tried the ear buds.

Thank you. I'll check flyer talk...never heard of it before. Strange part is, I only have a problem when I fly. Normally I literally crash when I go to sleep.ii

Nothing totally blocks out all sound. Bose headphones work well, but you still will be able to hear crying babies, announcements, etc. through them.

Absolutely. Noise canceling headphones do NOT block outside sounds, such as babies crying, loud talking, etc. They simply muffle them a bit. If you think they are going to cut off all outside sound, you will be very disappointed.

I have Bose noise canceling headphones and also have the Bose QuietComfort 20i earbuds. They were expensive, but I love them and prefer them over the headphones. They are the first earbuds which actually stay in my ears, they are comfortable (don't make your head sweat like the headphones and are easy to sleep in), and they block a lot more outside noise than the headphones. Plus, they take up only a tiny amount of space in your carry on.

Edited by grandma*knows*best

I was involved in the early days of noise-cancelling headsets, have followed their development and used several pairs. To set your expectation, no product on the market will deliver "home bedroom quiet". They do a very good job with low frequency noise (e.g. the rumble of the engines) and this is what causes much of the fatigue after a long flight. They do very little to cut out high-frequency noise like shrieking infants or the "ding-dong" fasten seat belt chimes.

The "over-the-ear" type with a cup that totally encloses your ears are far and away the most effective. Earbuds are a distant second, and "on-the-ear" are worst of all.

Caveat...noise cancelling headsets cause nausea in 1-2% of people. Be sure there's a good return policy or another family member can use them, just in case you're affected.

FlyerTalk has information from actual passenger experience, and check out the reviews and forums at http://www.head-fi.org/

Edited by kenish

The "over-the-ear" type with a cup that totally encloses your ears are far and away the most effective. Earbuds are a distant second, and "on-the-ear" are worst of all.

FlyerTalk has information from actual passenger experience, and check out the reviews and forums at http://www.head-fi.org/

I have real life experience on many, many flights with both over the ear Bose noise-cancelling headphones and the new in ear headphones (BoseQuietComfort 20i earbud) and the earbuds win hands down for the amount of outside noise blocked. They are the best headphones I have tried.

I currently have a pair of Bose QC-15 over-the-ear headphones. Love 'em. They have helped me drown out the noises of Economy class flights and get some quality sleep on many a long flight.

Before I got the Bose, I had a nice pair of Shure E3c earphones. Really excellent sound isolation, not just noise canceling. There is a specific way to put them in your ears and if you don't follow that, you don't get the proper fit and noise will get in. The Shures are what you see a lot of the musicians wearing - you can get a custom-ear-fit piece if you want to pay for it. Shure doesn't make these anymore, but they do have newer versions. Expect to pay $200+ for them.

Many thanks for everyone's great advice. As much as I dislike shopping at Wal Mart, I'm heading over there today to see what they have. The best thing about them is their return policy. Most places only give you 14 days for returns and I won't know until after we've returned from vacation.

I'll check out the link on the flyer forum.

Although yesterday when I looked at that site I read there is a strike at the airport :eek: and also read about a lady who still doesn't have her luggage from Alitalia after 20 some days. :eek: :eek:

I have real life experience on many, many flights with both over the ear Bose noise-cancelling headphones and the new in ear headphones (BoseQuietComfort 20i earbud) and the earbuds win hands down for the amount of outside noise blocked. They are the best headphones I have tried.

Thanks for the tip

Looking at getting some for

My next flight

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So far, nothing here. Wal Mart was a joke and those young kids know nothing. They then referred me to the sporting goods dept. where they have those HUGE earphones for cancelling out gunshot noise.

Went to Radio Shack and they had a pair of Auto Technica. I tried them on and could hear my husband talking...and I'm hard of hearing...LOL...and he speaks softly. They did have a 30 day return policy though.

I'm going to do a search and see what I can find. I'm not sure where I can find a store that sells the Bose earbuds and it's almost too late to have them shipped to me.

My bad...I should have started shopping for them sooner. :o

I used my Able Planet headphones on a recent trip in economy on Icelandair. They significantly reduced the engine buzz. I purchased mine from Amazon but the best deal is at BH http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/712192-REG/able_planet_xnc230w_xnc230_extreme_foldable_noise.html

Edited by Alaskanb

I used my Able Planet headphones on a recent trip in economy on Icelandair. They significantly reduced the engine buzz. I purchased mine from Amazon but the best deal is at BH http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/712192-REG/able_planet_xnc230w_xnc230_extreme_foldable_noise.html

Not sure what to do....maybe just buy some earplugs. The Boise ear buds are $299....quite a bit more than I care to spend. I may just have to suffer through a long flight and try to bear it. One thing I thought of with the headphones...they are a little large for my head and they were adjusted to the smallest size. :rolleyes: I have the same problem with hats.

I invested in a pair of the Bose earbuds and love them. I don't like the over the ear ones when I'm trying to sleep because they press against my head. The bud block out enough for me. I'm not a super light sleeper but need something approaching quiet.

I looked at them as an investment, as I'm flying more and more these days. Plus I got some Best Buy gift cards for Christmas, so they didn't really cost that much.:D

Do you have any kind of rewards credit card? If so, perhaps you could redeem points at a store for them. That's how I got my iPad a few years ago.

Not sure what to do....maybe just buy some earplugs. The Boise ear buds are $299....quite a bit more than I care to spend. I may just have to suffer through a long flight and try to bear it. One thing I thought of with the headphones...they are a little large for my head and they were adjusted to the smallest size. :rolleyes: I have the same problem with hats.

Check out the Sennheiser brand. Before I got the earbuds I had a pair of those and they worked quite well. The are the "on ear" type, but I still found them effective, just not very comfortable.

Don't know how soon you are travelling so this may be to late. OH has on ear Bose and I have in ear. I love mine wish I had bought them years ago. I got them at the airport and Duty Free so a good price. Stay put, sound fantastic, keep put, most noise cancelled especially if playing. They are also available direct from Bose in line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So glad that I saw this thread. I am also interested in noise cancelling headphones as I will be flying this year to FLL and then next year overseas. I have pretty much always flown business class overseas so they give you the Bose headphones but next year I will be in coach so I will need to buy a pair. I see where everyone really likes the ear buds but my problem was that they hurt my ears and fell out. I am going to research and see what I can find. I still have 7 weeks till my domestic flight so I have plenty of time to find a pair.