Tuxedo Rental through Princess

BiogirlSarah

Does anyone have any experience with the 3rd-party formal wear rental that Princess offers? How is the quality and is there a tailor on board if something doesn't fit right?

Also, how far in advance of the sail date can you submit a reservation for this?

Not sure how far in advance to order; likely the order 'form' will state that.

DH has rented shiny shoes before (owns a tux) but they were kinda tight/uncomfortable so may want to order up a half or full size. He would have preferred shoes a tad too big vs. ones that hurt.

He did rent a dinner jacket from them once, just to see if he'd want to buy his own. It was rather a cream color than white but it didn't seem to be intentionally cream but due to myriad cleanings, it had yellowed a bit. It didn't look bad but next to our friend's white jacket, DH looked a little dingy.

As for fit, his jacket was fine but I think the ships do have someone who can make minor alterations; may want to get the local tux shop to do all the measurements for you so you can be (maybe) a little more sure of fit.

My huubyhas Rented a tux through princess several times

he had positive experience

get accurate measurements and you will be fine

in case tux is too big or too small it is possible to turn it in for a different size on the ship if it is available

renting is a whole lot better than packing one as it arrives in your room and you leave it there when the cruise is over

tuxes look great on guys so go for it as your wife or partner will love it!

https://www.cruiselineformal.com/cf_pages/?c=pcl

Link found on the Princess FAQ page, all you need to know about renting a tux.

For Port Everglades the deadline is one week before your cruise, other locations vary.

I rented the Deluxe Package with Calvin Klein vest a few years ago and it was fine. The trousers and vest are well adjustable, you don't need perfect measurements nor will have to consider alterations unless the size you ordered was truly way off.

The microfiber shirts in that package were quite sheer; I would have preferred the standard cotton shirts that come with the less expensive tuxes.

Do not rent a package larger than you need for the number of formal nights on your cruise under the assumption you can use it as separates on non-formal nights. The tux is picked up by your steward the morning after the last formal night--you do not get to keep it the entire cruise as the reply above incorrectly stated.

Edited by fishywood

I have rented a Tux 5 different times and always was happy with the Tux and shirts that were hung in the Cabin the first day.

What I did was to find a local shop that sold/rented Tux's. Told the Clerk up front that I wanted to be measured for Tux so I could rent one on a Cruise.

After she was done I gave her a nice Tip to compensate her for time and effort.

Yes, on one size larger shoes. I found that out the first time.

Yes, there is a Taylor on board. One time I needed a button sewed back on. I called the Passenger Service Desk and they gave me time and location to meet the Taylor. Took just a few minutes and I was headed back to the Cabin.

Renting leaves more room for the Wife's Fancy dress and stuff. :D

Bob

Edited by 4x4bob

Sorry fishywood is wrong

hubby has rented tux 4 separate times for our 2 and 3 week cruises and tux is always delivered at beginning of cruise and turned in last day before you dock.

He had tux for the entire cruise each and every time.

Edited by dandonna

Sorry fishywood is wrong

hubby has rented tux 4 separate times for our 2 and 3 week cruises and tux is always delivered at beginning of cruise and turned in last day before you dock.

He had tux for the entire cruise each and every time.

Interesting as the FAQ on the cruiselineformal website seems to back up fishywood's statement as below:

12 Q. How does the program work? Will the order be delivered to my stateroom? How do I return the formal wear?

A. The formal wear rental will be delivered to your stateroom by the cabin steward on the day that you sail. In order to avoid any additional charges for unreturned or lost items, please re-package all the garments in the bag provided and personally return it to your cabin attendant the day following the last formal evening of the cruise.

The one time I used them the tux was in my cabin when we checked in. The shirt size was too small and a phone call got me the right size in about 20 minutes. The morning after the last formal night the tux was gone.mOverall a good experience.

I love the idea of renting DH a tux, but WHEN are they going to start offering Ladies Formal Gowns for rental? Hmmm????

I don't cruise often enough to justify the cost (oh, and my size keeps changing...). But I would love to select from something like Rent the Runway without having to pack it, too.

I love the idea of renting DH a tux, but WHEN are they going to start offering Ladies Formal Gowns for rental? Hmmm????

I don't cruise often enough to justify the cost (oh, and my size keeps changing...). But I would love to select from something like Rent the Runway without having to pack it, too.

They do offer formal wear, but the last time I checked it was a long skirt and sparkly top.

DH hasn't rented one in a couple of years, but we were always more than happy with the tuxes he got on past cruises. He's a big guy, and they fit fine. Once the jacket sleeves were too long, and they fixed them quickly. Another time the shirts were huge, and they were replaced quickly.

It's best to try it on as soon as you board in case things aren't right.

The tuxes have always been in the closet when we board. Pick up varies. Sometimes it's right after the last formal night, and other times it was as late as the last day of the cruise.

It's best to try it on as soon as you board in case things aren't right.

I definitely recommend this too...... I have rented about a half-dozen times to save schlepping my own from Australia all around the world. Most times it has been fine but once what was in my cabin was a disaster lol. The shirt was nearly threadbare and had a button missing, the pants leg lengths were uneven and the shoes looked like they were about 20 years old :eek:

But a call to our cabin steward and everything was replaced/altered with acceptable quality items by the next morning.

The items are rental quality - so don't expect a beautifully cut designer fine cool-wool suit - but they are adequate and definitely convenient if saving space in your luggage is a necessity.

I rent the tux, carry my own clips, cummerbund and tie and I wear black boots. Hate shoes! I have rented 4 times and turned them in at the end of the cruise when we left the cabin by leaving them in the closet. Never been charged. Your mileage may vary.

• 1 month later...
We will have 2 formal nights on an upcoming Princess cruise. Do you get 2 tuxedo shirts with the basic black tux package? If not, who pays to launder the shirt between the formal nights?

Thanks!

You will get 2 shirts for the cruise. On longer cruises with 3 formal nights, you will still get

2 shirts. Keep them clean.

We will have 2 formal nights on an upcoming Princess cruise. Do you get 2 tuxedo shirts with the basic black tux package? If not, who pays to launder the shirt between the formal nights?

Thanks!

According to the website, it looks like you only get 1 shirt. I'm assuming if you want it laundered you have to pay for it yourself. There is the option to rent additional shirts for $15 each. I think my DH will be bringing his own shirt with him.

You get 1 shirt, tus jacket, 1 pr pants, cummerbund, shoes tie and clips. The ship cleans them for free or did last time I rented one. You may call the ships tailor and ask when you get aboard. I have my own shirt, cummerbund and tie. To elaborate, my wife is a fashion expert and says I need a cream colored shirt, white makes me look dead. However, I am allowed to wear white Ts with print on the front.

Edited by WupperAV

Tux rental may not be a great idea! We just got back from a 17 day TA on the Caribbean Princess. To save space my husband rented a tux. I suggested he try everything on before we left Southampton, but you know men. First formal night came and so did the surprises. The size 12 shoes were 13 wide. The pants adjustable feature at waist was broken. The shirt had a stain on it. And the cumberband was smaller than the waist of the pants.

Les struggled into it and made his way down to dinner. The shoes flapped like Clarabelle. The pants kept falling down. As soon as he ordered he went back to the room to change into his own shoes, pants, white shirt and no cumberband.

We laughed and laughed. After almost 50 years of marriage it takes more than a clothing malfunction to ruin our evening!

Les contacted the front desk the next day and they did their best to piece together a more acceptable outfit. It will be a formal night we will remember forever.