Here goes another drink questions

My wife and I are not heavy drinkers. we are wondering if it would be worth it to get the premium drink package. I thinks is $65.00 per day.

Can anyone give me an idea of what your typical glass of wine costs?

also you typical drink?

If anyone has a picture of a drink menu with prices it would be fantastic.

Thanks

If your not heavy drinkers I would just go with the premium package. It covers drinks up to 10.00 which we never saw a normal over that and wine up to 12.00 which covers the Chandon champs and the Charles Krug Merlot which was 12.00 a glass. Now if u like coffee, not from Starbucks then the big package is better.

65 x 2 x 1 week cruise = $910. If you are not a heavy drinker just order what you want when you want it. There is convenience and then there is absurdity.

I agree I can't imagine spending $900 on booze during a cruise. Especially since you're in port for a lot of the time. So you're not even on board to do the drinking. I always purchase an all inclusive beach break in Cozumel at Mr Sancho's. It costs $50 but unlike cruise line I can have as many drinks as I want and I'm not limited to just 15. And it includes food, a beautiful beach, and beach toys. If the cruise lines allowed you to purchase their drink packages only on the sea days it would be a better deal.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Edited by Jana60

One thing to remember is to factor in the cost of a soda package (I want to say it is something like $6 a day) which is included with this package, as well as any non-alcoholic cocktails and bottled water, if these are things you would be consuming as part of the package. People often say "I wouldn't drink that much per day", but it is not JUST alcohol. :)

One thing I would like to know, because I've never seen it on any of the menus, is how much is a bottle of water? On my last (first) cruise, I originally had a soda package (the "old" one) and a bottled water package (8 insanely large bottles of Evian, of which I consumed about half...never again), and switched to the "new" Premium package on Day 2, so I did not ever purchase water. I'd like to stock up on bottles here and there through the cruise to take on excursions and to have in the room at night. (Yeah, I know, ship's water is supposed to be fine to drink, but still.)

Edited by fluffysue

65 x 2 x 1 week cruise = $910. If you are not a heavy drinker just order what you want when you want it. There is convenience and then there is absurdity.

I guess it is all in the presentation. That must be why RCI doesn't present the package anything at all like you did!:D

I agree I can't imagine spending $900 on booze during a cruise. Especially since you're in port for a lot of the time. So you're not even on board to do the drinking. I always purchase an all inclusive beach break in Cozumel at Mr Sancho's. It costs $50 but unlike cruise line I can have as many drinks as I want and I'm not limited to just 15. And it includes food, a beautiful beach, and beach toys. If the cruise lines allowed you to purchase their drink packages only on the sea days it would be a better deal.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Royal does not limit the # of drinks per day, that would be Carnival

The premium package is $55/day. Including the tip. You really only need to drink 6-7 drinks a day to break even. That is just alcohol. That doesn't include water or soda. That is not that much to drink!

If you sat by the pool for 3 hours and had 1 drink an hour you would just about be half way there. A couple drinks with dinner and then one or two at night with the shows you have now paid for the package. That didn't include and bottles of water or glasses of soda that you might consume during the day too.

The package isn't for everyone, but it definitely isn't just for really heavy drinkers.

My wife and I are not heavy drinkers. we are wondering if it would be worth it to get the premium drink package. I thinks is $65.00 per day.

also you typical drink?

Thanks

Looking at your prior posts, it looks like you are going on a 4 night cruise with only one port. With the premium package, you are talking $220 pp, $440 total. I know we don't drink that much alcohol on a 7 night cruise, let alone a 4 night. Even factoring in the cost of 2 soda packages, we wouldn't do it.

Since your cruise is not port intensive, you would have a better opportunity to get your money's work. You would have to be a heavy drinker, 6-8 drinks per day, to really make it work. I would just work the numbers and then decide.

Enjoy your cruise.:)

The premium package is $55/day. Including the tip. You really only need to drink 6-7 drinks a day to break even. That is just alcohol. That doesn't include water or soda. That is not that much to drink!

Really? I think 6-7 alcoholic drinks per day is heavy drinking. Nothing wrong with that if you're doing ok, but it is heavy drinking.

We just did the premium package-for one of us. When I would go to the bar and get to drinks for two, the bartenders would put the least expensive one on our bill and the other on the package. So between several alcohol drinks a day, several bottles of water a day, soda, tips included, plus you didn't have to sign slips for your drinks, I found it worthwhile. Didn't really keep track but Im sure I about broke even, which Im sure that's what RCCL has figured out anyway. It was just very convenient

Really? I think 6-7 alcoholic drinks per day is heavy drinking. Nothing wrong with that if you're doing ok, but it is heavy drinking.

In my real life I have probably 1 or 2 drinks a month. Not because I don't want to drink, but because I work long hours and don't really have time to drink!

When I go on vacation I like to relax and have a good time. 6-7 drinks between the hours of 9am and Midnight (most nights later) is less than 1 drink every 2 hours. I don't consider that heavy drinking!

An alcohol package is worthwhile for some people. Some people it isn't! Luckily they don't force you to purchase one if you don't want to!

I created an Excel worksheet from posted drink menus with drink prices then added gratuity. Since I would personally drink mimosas, martinis and frozen drinks, plus some soda/flavored water from he Freestyle machine (on Jewel) plus bottles of still water throughout the day, the $55/day premium package (gratuity included) is a deal for me. Calculated to be 5 of my preferred drinks per day along with soda and water and gratuities cover the $55/day. And, since I'm on vacation. I plan to enjoy some fun drinks :-)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think it depends on timing. I love to have a mimosa or two with breakfast when I am on vacation, so that's 2 drinks before lunch. Ditto my husband with bloody Mary's. I like to have 1 or maybe 2 cocktails during the hours of 5-7 before dinner. I likely have a glass of wine, maybe 2, during a long dinner. If we go out after dinner, I would likely have 1 more cocktail. So that is 6- 7 drinks, spread out. I never felt even slightly drink on Allure at that pace.

As for value, it's important to keep in mind that the package includes gratuity, and also soda and water. Taking into account tip, you only need to drink $48 worth to break even. 3 of my daily drinks are likely to be martinis which are $10. Ditto 1-2 glasses of wine about $10 each. Right there is $50.

For these reasons, I felt we got good value out of the package. Only day that I did not get value was in Cozumel because we also paid for an all inclusive. Also paid for the Prohibition Party ($35) which I would not do again. The experience was just ok and I feel like there should be a price break for those with the package. Otherwise you are paying twice for drinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Am I the only one who is amazed at how many virtually identical "is the drink package worth it" threads there are here?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

:)

I like them, though. You always find a different way of looking at it.

Heck, we've done Replenish, I didn't get my money's worth from it (nor did DH), and we're now in a situation where he still wants to get it for himself and I don't want it for myself (just a water package and lattes out of pocket).

But just now this thread made me think about the Premium for a minute. But...I could get what I want from Replenish and then would still have to drink around $35/day more of booze (to make up the cost from Replenish to Premium). NOT going to happen. Especially since I drink mainly beer when I drink, it's just not going to get to that dollar amount for me.

So we've done the plans, had our experiences, come out with differing opinions on what we like...and even I will still obsess about maybe thinking about getting something that I already know won't work for me. Is it any wonder newbies to the packages are wondering about it, too? :p:cool:

also you typical drink?

Thanks

Not Heavy Drinkers = No Drink Package

It couldn't be simpler.

One thing to remember is to factor in the cost of a soda package (I want to say it is something like $6 a day) which is included with this package, as well as any non-alcoholic cocktails and bottled water, if these are things you would be consuming as part of the package. People often say "I wouldn't drink that much per day", but it is not JUST alcohol. :)

One thing I would like to know, because I've never seen it on any of the menus, is how much is a bottle of water? On my last (first) cruise, I originally had a soda package (the "old" one) and a bottled water package (8 insanely large bottles of Evian, of which I consumed about half...never again), and switched to the "new" Premium package on Day 2, so I did not ever purchase water. I'd like to stock up on bottles here and there through the cruise to take on excursions and to have in the room at night. (Yeah, I know, ship's water is supposed to be fine to drink, but still.)

A normal bottle of water (not Evian) was $2.95AUD.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Forums mobile app