Anthem - Many Questions

I've been reading the live threads, reviews, and tips, and I keep coming up with more and more questions.

This is my second time posting this since the first time it bombed after I clicked the required Captcha and I hadn't thought to copy and paste the post. :( This time, I'm writing it elsewhere and copying it in. I hope I can remember all of my questions.

Background - I am an anal planner who usually starts over a year out and we booked this one with only 75 days to sailing. We are a family of 4 (51, 51, 25, and 23). Our last RoyalCaribbean cruise was the Explorer in 2009. This was also the largest ship we have ever been on. We usually go for smaller ships, but the kids wanted to do a newer big ship.

We are doing the 5day itinerary to Bermuda on May 20th.

1) How does MTD work on the Anthem?

1a)We made reservations for most nights for the four of us (across 2bookings). Will we get a table for 4 or possibly a larger table to share with other people?

1b)Are the menus the same in all of the main dining rooms?

1c)Is there a possibility of getting done in less than two hours if we express an interest in having dinner move faster?

2) If I like being as high as possible on the ship and have an unobstructed view to take photos, where is the best place for sail-away? We have interior cabins, so our balcony isn't a possibility.

2a)Does anyone know the clearance below the Verrazano-Narrows bridge and the ship? I know it depends on the tide, but… I'd like an estimate.

3) Where is your favorite place to eat lunch on embarkation day? Obviously, this will be AFTER we head to the theater to try and book all the things we missed out on because we booked our cruise only 75 days out and it took me two days to find things in the planner.

4) How does theRoyaliQ app work? I installed it. It looks like from the planner that you have to pay extra to communicate with others in your party on the ship, but what does it offer for free. Princess allowed you to leave messages for fellow passengers for free, but it was flakey and didn't alert you when there was a message. You had to open and look. Is the extra option worth the money?

5) Where are theFreestyle coke machines and how do they know who gets free sodas? Do you have to carry your cup around?

6) How does JohnnyRockets work?

6a)Does dessert come with it?

6b)If you have a soda card, are the sodas free?

7) How does theEmergency Drill work? Are most of the locations inside or out? Do you take your jackets with you? We are deck 9forward if that matters.

8) How much do the WOW bands cost?

I can't remember the last question from my first post, but I'm sure there will be many more to come as I prepare. I appreciate any and all help!

Edited by alwalaska
spaces didn't copy correctly.

The WOW bands cost $4 or $5.

Johnny Rockets is per item pricing. Soda is included if you have a beverage package.

You must use the special cup to get soda fromt he Freestyle machines.

The WOW bands cost $4 or $5.

Johnny Rockets is per item pricing. Soda is included if you have a beverage package.

You must use the special cup to get soda fromt he Freestyle machines.

Does anyone have a menu with pricing for Johnny Rockets?

Some more answers. Menus are the same in all 4 dining rooms. The free Solarium Bistro is a different menu with upcharge lambs chops for $10 and Maine Lobster for $20. A good compromise between free MDR and expensive specialty restaurants.

On embarkation day the cafe 270 is usually an oasis of relative sanity. Solarium Bistro would be another choice.

Emergency drills are located in inside venues.

1) How does MTD work on the Anthem? Same as on the Explorer.

1a)We made reservations for most nights for the four of us (across 2bookings). Will we get a table for 4 or possibly a larger table to share with other people? Table for four unless you ask for a larger table when you arrive at the dining room.

1b)Are the menus the same in all of the main dining rooms? Yes.

1c)Is there a possibility of getting done in less than two hours if we express an interest in having dinner move faster? Definitely.

2) If I like being as high as possible on the ship and have an unobstructed view to take photos, where is the best place for sail-away? We have interior cabins, so our balcony isn't a possibility.Deck 16

2a)Does anyone know the clearance below the Verrazano-Narrows bridge and the ship? I know it depends on the tide, but… I'd like an estimate. I swear that you can read the license plates. LOL

3) Where is your favorite place to eat lunch on embarkation day? Obviously, this will be AFTER we head to the theater to try and book all the things we missed out on because we booked our cruise only 75 days out and it took me two days to find things in the planner. Cafe Two70

4) How does theRoyaliQ app work? I installed it. It looks like from the planner that you have to pay extra to communicate with others in your party on the ship, but what does it offer for free. Princess allowed you to leave messages for fellow passengers for free, but it was flakey and didn't alert you when there was a message. You had to open and look. Is the extra option worth the money? Cruise Compass. Reservations for activities, dinners, shows.

5) Where are theFreestyle coke machines and how do they know who gets free sodas? Do you have to carry your cup around? Sorrentos, Windjammer, a couple other places :) The cup has a chip in the bottom that activates the machine. You can get soda at a bar, but only a few varieties.

6) How does JohnnyRockets work? all a la carte pricing - I posted a pic

6b)If you have a soda card, are the sodas free? Sodas are included EVERYWHERE with the package.

7) How does theEmergency Drill work? Are most of the locations inside or out? Do you take your jackets with you? We are deck 9forward if that matters. ALL inside. You don't take your life jackets to muster drill on any RC ship anymore.

8) How much do the WOW bands cost? $4.95 I love mine. They are reusable.

I can't remember the last question from my first post, but I'm sure there will be many more to come as I prepare. I appreciate any and all help!

2epix06.jpg

Thank you all. Merion_Mom, you and 138East, you both have helped me on previous cruises. Thanks again.

Does the dining room do lunch on embarkation day? It never gets mentioned.

On sea days, what is the least busy breakfast time at the Windjammer? What other breakfast locations are good? I saw the Solarium Bistro has breakfast when Googling the lunch menu.

138 East, I'm looking at a hotel on Staton Island not too far from the port. Any comments? I know you are an expert on the area too. I need to get something booked. I am hoping to use points but not go too far away since we asked for a 10:30 checkin time.

Thank you all. Merion_Mom, you and 138East, you both have helped me on previous cruises. Thanks again.

Does the dining room do lunch on embarkation day? It never gets mentioned.

On sea days, what is the least busy breakfast time at the Windjammer? What other breakfast locations are good? I saw the Solarium Bistro has breakfast when Googling the lunch menu.

138 East, I'm looking at a hotel on Staton Island not too far from the port. Any comments? I know you are an expert on the area too. I need to get something booked. I am hoping to use points but not go too far away since we asked for a 10:30 checkin time.

No MDR is open for lunch on Royal Caribbean on embarkation day.

I don't eat breakfast. :D

I just saw a blog about the stowaway piano man. Is he still there?

Alas, no. :(

I'm not currently keen about Staten Island because of the intermittent and unpredictable Bayonne Bridge closures. I'm assuming you know you will have to pay a $15 toll to get from NJ to Staten Island.

What route are you coming in from Ohio? I80, I78, or NJ Turnpike? You are 4 adults - how many rooms and bed configuration? What kind of points do you have. What would be your hotel budget/room.

4) How does theRoyaliQ app work? I installed it. It looks like from the planner that you have to pay extra to communicate with others in your party on the ship, but what does it offer for free. Princess allowed you to leave messages for fellow passengers for free, but it was flakey and didn't alert you when there was a message. You had to open and look. Is the extra option worth the money?

It works ok. Can be slow and buggy.

For free, it is a digital cruise compass. You can see all the activities, and you can check off the ones you like - ie, like a highlighter. You can then load a calendar that ONLY shows the things you checked off. I think you can also make reservations on it.

I did not pay for the chat features.

You need to carry the cup around to access the freestyle machine. There are 2 in windjammer, 1 on the promenade, 1 in the seaplex, and 2 for teens only.

If you dont have it, you can go to any bar and get a soda refill if you have a package, but youre limited to 4 or 5 fountain choices.

If youre staying in SI check in advance for Bayoone Bridge closures. It is frequently closed for entire weekends.

what are the hours of JRs?

those burger prices posted above are better than my local mcdonalds. is the quality better?

The burgers are easily better than Mcdonalds, but then again, McDonald's is a low bar. I'm a bit of a burger snob and I found JR's to be average at best. Better than any legacy fast food burgers (hardees, mcdonalds, burger king, wendys etc), but these days counter service burgers are getting better (try Bobby's Burger Palace if there's one near you, its Bobby Flay's fast food burger place).

I also know that a burger is offered for a price at Michael's Pub. I didn't get a chance to try it, but if its like any of the other menu items, it should be amazing.

No MDR is open for lunch on Royal Caribbean on embarkation day.

On our Liberty cruise a year and a half ago, we were pressured to go eat in the MDR for lunch LOL. As soon as you boarded, we were told to go have lunch and when we approached the elevators near the dining room, we were asked again to come in for lunch.

I will say it's the first time I have ever experienced the MDR being open for lunch :confused: I was sort of hoping it would be a new thing so that folks could eat there, but apparently not? I'm going on Anthem this Fall so at least I'll be prepared for no lunch in the DR.

On our Liberty cruise a year and a half ago, we were pressured to go eat in the MDR for lunch LOL. As soon as you boarded, we were told to go have lunch and when we approached the elevators near the dining room, we were asked again to come in for lunch.

I will say it's the first time I have ever experienced the MDR being open for lunch :confused: I was sort of hoping it would be a new thing so that folks could eat there, but apparently not? I'm going on Anthem this Fall so at least I'll be prepared for no lunch in the DR.

The only time I've seen the MDR open for lunch on embarkation day was for back-to-back guests.

I think most of your questions have already been answered, but since I just got of Anthem last Sunday, I'll take a shot at it and offer my own perspective.

I've been reading the live threads, reviews, and tips, and I keep coming up with more and more questions.

This is my second time posting this since the first time it bombed after I clicked the required Captcha and I hadn't thought to copy and paste the post. :( This time, I'm writing it elsewhere and copying it in. I hope I can remember all of my questions.

Background - I am an anal planner who usually starts over a year out and we booked this one with only 75 days to sailing. We are a family of 4 (51, 51, 25, and 23). Our last RoyalCaribbean cruise was the Explorer in 2009. This was also the largest ship we have ever been on. We usually go for smaller ships, but the kids wanted to do a newer big ship.

1) How does MTD work on the Anthem?

There are 4 MDRs on Anthem, Deck 3 has Grand and Chic these are for Classic Dining and you simply walk in at your designated time (5:30 or 8:30), but some nights had a small line for people wanting to come in from MTD and they were accommodated with available space from no-shows

Deck 4 has Silk and American Icon, These are for MTD. Two lines are in front. One for people with reservations and one without.

We ate Early seating Classic in Grand so I have no idea how the lines were moving, but the few times I walked through, the people in those lines did not seem anxious or impatient so I assume they moved OK.

1a)We made reservations for most nights for the four of us (across 2bookings). Will we get a table for 4 or possibly a larger table to share with other people?

Probably just 4

1b)Are the menus the same in all of the main dining rooms?

Same menus in all 4 MDRs and part of the menu changes every night. There is a Classic section on the menu and those items are there every night.

1c)Is there a possibility of getting done in less than two hours if we express an interest in having dinner move faster?

We had some meals that lasted more than 2 hours, and one night our group of 12 told the servers we had a show booked at 7 and we were out by 6:30

2) If I like being as high as possible on the ship and have an unobstructed view to take photos, where is the best place for sail-away? We have interior cabins, so our balcony isn't a possibility.

I would guess the Northstar Bar is probably a good spot for forward photos. Easy access to side views and aft would be by the Flowrider. These locations will be very busy pending on weather. Our group got cought by suprise in the Solarium. The bridge come up faster than anticipated. We saw the bridge coming but were in line at the bar in Solarium thinking we had lot of time, but ended up watching the bridge go by over our heads from the solarium. The crown went WWWOooooooooWWWwww, and that was it. Still impressive but a little underwhelming from what I anticipated it would have been link had we made it to the top level.

2a)Does anyone know the clearance below the Verrazano-Narrows bridge and the ship? I know it depends on the tide, but… I'd like an estimate.

I guaranty the North Star will be parked in it's lowered position. Or else some passengers in a car is in for the surprise of their lives.

3) Where is your favorite place to eat lunch on embarkation day? Obviously, this will be AFTER we head to the theater to try and book all the things we missed out on because we booked our cruise only 75 days out and it took me two days to find things in the planner.

Don't stress too much about this. I am also a cruise planner addict. But we cruised with 7 families, and only my family had pre-made reservations for iFly. But all the other families that wanted to book iFly were able to. Only the Escape room was more difficult to find a spot. We did do the Escape room and if I had to choose between the 2, iFly is by FAR the winner. The Escape room was OK, many in our group really liked it. If I had been smart, I should have given up my spot to someone that are more into it than I am. That being said, we completed the puzzle in 45 minutes and I did enjoy myself.

On embarkation day, I had lunch at the Dog house.... Yes... Dog house. I had a Hot dog. It was OK and it is not really my thing, but I had read that the Bumper cars are open and that it is a good time to go because it is not busy. My kids went 3 times with hardly no wait times. The dog house also had no wait times;)

The Texting feature costs $7.95 per device and it activates for the entire cruise. I had to go to guest services because for some reason, even if we had setup his account so he could make purchases and charge to the account, it still would not let me charge the 7.95 for the texting feature on his phone. But there was no line at all in GS and only took about 30 seconds and they reset his account and tried his phone right there and it worked. This also happened to another family and they fixed it the same way. The RoyaliQ app worked most of the time for most people. You must leave it running, and many issues were resolved if you put your phone's clock in 24h mode. I'm in Canada and always have my phone in 24h clock anyway and I had almost no issues at all except a few times I stoped the RoyaliQ app and re-launched it and that fixed it. Others had to do this many times and the 24h trick seemed to help. We felt it was worth every penny. Especially that we were a group of 7 or 8 families.

5) Where are theFreestyle coke machines and how do they know who gets free sodas? Do you have to carry your cup around? I still had my Soda glass wrapped in plastic when I disembarked. I had the Delux Bev Package and never had a single soda.

6) How does JohnnyRockets work?

Anthems JR is A la Cart Pricing

?

6b)If you have a soda card, are the sodas free?

Yes, if you are Gold, you get a Buy one Milk Shake get one free loded on your sea Pass Card

7) How does theEmergency Drill work? Are most of the locations inside or out? Do you take your jackets with you? We are deck 9forward if that matters.

All locations are inside, Don't bring life jackets. We were deck 8 forward and we were in the Royal Theatre.

8) How much do the WOW bands cost?

$4.95 We bought 4. Each my kids got one, I gave mine to my wife so she had 2. We had 2 rooms and her room was where the kids set up, so her Band opened the kids room, and my band opened our room. But then I always kept her Sea pass card on me, so I could get 2 drinks (Happened lots):D, or she could get 2 drinks (That never happened):rolleyes:

We had a great time and I hope you do too

I'm not currently keen about Staten Island because of the intermittent and unpredictable Bayonne Bridge closures. I'm assuming you know you will have to pay a $15 toll to get from NJ to Staten Island.

What route are you coming in from Ohio? I80, I78, or NJ Turnpike? You are 4 adults - how many rooms and bed configuration? What kind of points do you have. What would be your hotel budget/room.

Thanks. I had no clue on the closures or costs. Our map program says either 70 to 76 or 80 to 76. Either way, it looks like we'll be hitting Bayonne from 76.

I have points on Hilton or Marriott for a fee night. We need 3 sleeping surfaces, so Residence, Embassy, Springhill type places are best. Or something low points and 2 rooms.

I think we will do the offsite parking location someone requested, but will drop luggage at port first. My main hotel criteria are close to the port and comfortable. Free breakfast is nice, but I'm Maariott Platinum and Hilton Diamond, so most places have free breakfast for at least 2 of us.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate traffic and road warnings too.

I think most of your questions have already been answered, but since I just got of Anthem last Sunday, I'll take a shot at it and offer my own perspective.

We had a great time and I hope you do too

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forums mobile app

Thanks. I had no clue on the closures or costs. Our map program says either 70 to 76 or 80 to 76. Either way, it looks like we'll be hitting Bayonne from 76.

I have points on Hilton or Marriott for a fee night. We need 3 sleeping surfaces, so Residence, Embassy, Springhill type places are best. Or something low points and 2 rooms.

I think we will do the offsite parking location someone requested, but will drop luggage at port first. My main hotel criteria are close to the port and comfortable. Free breakfast is nice, but I'm Maariott Platinum and Hilton Diamond, so most places have free breakfast for at least 2 of us.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate traffic and road warnings too.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forums mobile app

Could you be more precise about your driving directions? I76 is the Pennsylvania Turnpike which feeds onto the NJ turnpike, all toll roads. I78 would feed into the north side of Newark Airport where you would gave easy access to Soringhill Suites, Courtyard Newark, Fairfield Inn, and the Doubletree.

I'm not a big fan of the offsite port parking operation, but if you feel you must use it, I wouldn't waste my time to go into the port to drop luggage off, leave the port to park the car, and take a shuttle back into the port.

Could you be more precise about your driving directions? I76 is the Pennsylvania Turnpike which feeds onto the NJ turnpike, all toll roads. I78 would feed into the north side of Newark Airport where you would gave easy access to Soringhill Suites, Courtyard Newark, Fairfield Inn, and the Doubletree.

I'm not a big fan of the offsite port parking operation, but if you feel you must use it, I wouldn't waste my time to go into the port to drop luggage off, leave the port to park the car, and take a shuttle back into the port.

I found some of the hotels you were talking about on the north side of the airport and will take a look at those.

There seem to be several places by the Mills at Jersey Gardens. Is that also a good option?

I can't seem to find the Springhill on the map. Is it right by those others?

Thank you for your patience with me. Is there a reason why you aren't a fan of the offsite locations? For half price, it seems worth it, but if it is a known problem, I'd rather avoid the frustration.

As far as the drive goes, I haven't driven to this area in 8 years, so I am clueless. AAA and Google maps are giving similar (yet different) options. I 80 across PA and then 287 to 24 to 78. I think this is the route we took in 2009, but we stayed all the way out in Parsippany at the Fairfield Inn, but I would like to stay closer in this time.

The other option is I-70 to I-76 to I-78 near Harrisburg PA, then in. I think I prefer the northern route to get to NJ. The PA and NJ turnpikes both have bad memories of major traffic jams from my past. ;), but I really don't know what they are like currently.

Since both routes put me on 78 by Springfield Twnship, I guess it doesn't matter how I get to that point

Thanks again. I'll go check out your other thread that the other Carol pointed me to for more general info on the area.

There is 5 ft clearance, so the Anthem takes on water, to increase clearance.

I just read this recently.

Cool! I can't wait!

Thank you to EVERYONE for all of the great info. I appreciate all of the different opinions on things.