World Cup Fever

Hi. We will be on a Rhine River cruise during the final week of the World Cup. Will be in Amsterdam during the final. Is there any special etiquette that I need to know about while watching the game at local establishments? Wouldn't want to offend anyone inadvertently. 😄

You know that "U.S.A, U.S.A, U.S.A." thing? Don't do that :)

Depends who is playing, of course - cheering for t'other side if Holland are in the final might not go down tremendously well - but generally just enjoy it. All fans will unite against the referee, so that's usually a good line to take!

In case The Netherlands will reach the final expect a city colored in orange with a lot of noise in the streets with each goal.

I posted this question on the River Cruise forum as well. We are actually starting our river cruise down the Rhine from Amsterdam the afternoon of the 13th. So the World Cup final will be taking place as we are cruising that first evening. Has anyone been on Uniworld's ships(especially the SS Antoinette) and know if any of the matches have been televised on the shop via ESPN or other. It will be interesting if Germany is in the final and we are cruising through Germany whether any special arrangements will be made for a stop somewhere to watch if no available on board

Hello from Germany,

yes, I like it that Germany has gone through. Room for improvement, though, as regards tactics and play. :) We will see how they fare against France. Need to be a bit diplomatic on Friday with my neighbour. A cheerful "Vive La France" will hopefully do the trick. :D

I do not fancy a Netherlands - Germany final. In football that is not a good combination. Cheering with a sligthly fierce note. Do not cheer for the Netherlands in a large German audience!

I feel for the Suisse. I was told the players were heartbroken when they lost so close to the end of the game. Did not watch the match.

Congratulations to Belgium, although I have developed a soft spot for the "football underdogs" USA, with our very own Jürgen Klinsmann as coach. :)

If you are in a port it is easy to watch the match in a pub. Or if the weather is good opt for a beergarden. Lots offer open-air screens. We call it public viewing. Or, if you like crowds, see if a town offers that "public viewing" in a large square. The atmosphere is amazing.

You can buy German flags and lots of other stuff in the national colours in many shops.

Oh, and be prepared for an "Autokorso". This basically means people driving round in their cars, tooting their horns and going a bit crazy. Only when their team has won, of course. ;)

notamermaid

Flying out this evening, so this will be my last post until I return. Have my orange packed, you never know. :) I hope to be watching the match in the airport lounge waiting to board.

Thrilled Germany is still in it, hope to see some Germany craziness when we are in Germany the day of the semi-final match.

I am hoping at least one European team makes it to the final. My daughter who is a much bigger fan than me and more knowledgeable is rooting for Brazil.:D

It's all good. Enjoy!

Hello Got2Cruise,

what a game! I feel sorry for the Brazilians. Images of shock and utter disbelieve during and after the game.

After the first goal of Tony Kroos, I saw a goal being scored and thought "this is a replay", then a few seconds later I realised it was actually his second goal that I saw!

I am still speechless.

notamermaid