Breakaway to Bermuda...rough seas????

palmtree99

Hey all. Just got off a Royal Caribbean ship yesterday that went to Bermuda. The cruise was great, however, we hit very rough seas coming back. The captain said in an announcement that this was typical for Bermuda and they always have seas like that coming back.

I'm thinking of taking the Breakaway in July 2015 to Bermuda, wondering if anyone else has and if they had rough sea days.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hey all. Just got off a Royal Caribbean ship yesterday that went to Bermuda. The cruise was great, however, we hit very rough seas coming back. The captain said in an announcement that this was typical for Bermuda and they always have seas like that coming back.

I'm thinking of taking the Breakaway in July 2015 to Bermuda, wondering if anyone else has and if they had rough sea days.

Thanks!

I've had rough seas sailing to and from Bermuda and I've had seas like glass. It can go either way or anything in between.

That said, in my 9 cruises to Bermuda, the majority of the time we had smooth sailing.

What RC ship were you on? Modern ships like Breakaway handle rough seas better than older ships. On our sailing to Bermuda, we had some rough seas (there was a tropical storm nearby), but I've experienced more movement in the Caribbean.

Thanks all! I was a little thrown when the captain said it was typical. I was on the "grandeur of the seas" which is a pretty small ship, not sure if that played a part in it. Thanks for the input!

Thanks all! I was a little thrown when the captain said it was typical. I was on the "grandeur of the seas" which is a pretty small ship, not sure if that played a part in it. Thanks for the input!

Grandeur is definitely not a small ship. It is on the larger end of the midsize category, and should have a smooth and calm ride. Granted, I have sailed on ships significantly smaller through 40' seas, so your mileage may vary.

A small ship would be Regent Seven Seas Navigator, which is only 28,000 GRT.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We went July 13th on breakaway to Bermuda and had very calm seas. Probably the smoothest sailing I ever had on a cruise.

We were on the July 20th sailing - just like you, we had the smoothest sailing ever. A few times I actually said to my husband... are we stopping? It was such a slow, smooth ride. The trip back home is one day shorter, and you can see that you're going faster, but again...no problems. We were in aft-facing balconies, and it was still smooth like buttah!

Edited by VickiD59

We were on the norwegian dawn the same time your ship was in bermuda this week. We too hit rough seas. The captain said it was because of tropical storm Bertha.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Thanks!

Could be rough or smooth as glass, no one knows.

Our July 6th sailing was in the wake of Hurricane Arthur and it was a bit rough on our way to Bermuda. I would say 8 ft. waves. But the ship was fine. We liked the motion of the ocean. Breakaway handled it just fine.

Coming home was a piece of cake, even doing 21 knots.

We had a blast. Loved Breakaway and Bermuda!!!!!

Hope to sail her again next summer :)

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Thanks!

Just curious as to the wave height you experienced - thanks

going to Bermuda in may 2015

Just curious as to the wave height you experienced - thanks

going to Bermuda in may 2015

I really don't know the height of the waves. I had an interior cabin and I only left the room once. Went up to lido to try to eat something around 2ish, passed a guy throwing up on the stairs. Got upstairs and saw a woman throwing up. I went to the buffet to get some soup, found a seat, and then saw the man at the table next to me start throwing up into a bag. It was awful! I was sick allll day. 6 cruises and this was my first time getting sick. I couldn't keep any food down. The next day was totally fine, just one horrible day. The captain said soothing like "typical when a cold front meets a warm front.." Going back to Bermuda on the breakaway next July. Hoping to have smooth seas!

I was on the Breakaway in May 2013 and we had smooth sailing there and rough seas on the way back.

We had 27 foot waves and the crosswinds were bad so some of the decks were closed. I was on the sailing where some of the front balcony dividers were broken off.

I took Bonine and wore PSI bands and I was good to go. Most of the ship must have been sick because we didn't see many people out and about all day.

I was on the Breakaway in May 2013 and we had smooth sailing there and rough seas on the way back.

We had 27 foot waves and the crosswinds were bad so some of the decks were closed. I was on the sailing where some of the front balcony dividers were broken off.

I took Bonine and wore PSI bands and I was good to go. Most of the ship must have been sick because we didn't see many people out and about all day.

If you cruise frequently enough, this becomes regular. ;). Wife and I have had seas like that sailing AK waters, and sailing the med between barcelona and the balearic islands. Fortunately we have yet to take bonine.

Today, most cruise ships use stablizers during rough seas, which help keep ships on an "even keel."

My first cruises to Bermuda were on the NCL Majesty, and we felt the seas much more than we did on the Dawn, which is a much larger ship. Our cabins were mid ship, lower decks on both ships for the Bermuda runs. Being in that area, we never felt ill.