No money for excursions-advise please

Cruizenintoport

Hi all-

I've been enjoying all of the information on here- so Thank you!

I've splurged on a NCL Breakaway cruise for myself and my kids(21,19,19 and 12). I have nothing left over for excursions but will be in port for three days. I know we will have to get a travel pass for each of us and plan to spend some time on the ship itself while it is empty.

We want to do a beach for sure. I think the Harbour Night Festival and will roam around the Dockyard. What else can we do that is free or cheap?

Thanks for the suggestions. We sail from NY on 5/15.

Hi all-

I've been enjoying all of the information on here- so Thank you!

I've splurged on a NCL Breakaway cruise for myself and my kids(21,19,19 and 12). I have nothing left over for excursions but will be in port for three days. I know we will have to get a travel pass for each of us and plan to spend some time on the ship itself while it is empty.

We want to do a beach for sure. I think the Harbour Night Festival and will roam around the Dockyard. What else can we do that is free or cheap?

Thanks for the suggestions. We sail from NY on 5/15.

I would tell the "kids" they will be handling the excursions and costs associated.

I would tell the "kids" they will be handling the excursions and costs associated.

My thought exactly.

can have the kids pay for the bus pass ( around $40 / pers).

You can get a lot of culture with that.

Also......... have them bring student ID card.

museums are free or a few dollars for students.

can you recommend a few stops?

St. George, it is a World Heritage Site. Gibbs Lighthouse, they ask,for a $3 donation, note....donation. Hamilton, has parks, buildings, Fort Hamilton is free. Walk from Warwick Long Bay to Horseshoe Bay. It is a beautiful walk.

Thank you so much!

The bus pass is a ferry pass as well. The ferry ride itself is a great ride back and forth to Hamilton or St. George. Just remember if you do St. George don't do it on the last day. It is far away and you have to be very careful about making the ferry. I have seen ferries leave early in Bermuda when they full........that same advice goes for Hamilton on the last day. If your ship leaves at five do not play around and make sure to get back to the port by 3:30. Don't take anything later than the 2:30 ferry the last day.

I would recommend a full day at horseshoe bay....its free and you can get there easily with your pass. You do not need to rent chairs but bring larger towels from home or something big to sit on.

The gibbs lighthouse was a great idea as well and its accessible by the same bus that goes to horseshoe.

There is another beautiful beach near St. George called Tobacco Bay. You can walk there from the ferry....its a bit of a hike but worth it. It is also free.

Also, NCL will let you bring soda on the ship and bottles of water. And if you drink wine you are allowed to bring wine on and pay a $15.00 fee per bottle. If you buy a relatively inexpensive bottle you can save that way....I have brought as many as 8 bottles on and have only been charged for four bottles.....so that was a nice unexpected gift:)

I'm never charged for all the bottles....although if you get Super Security Guard you could be charged for all of them......

The ride to Hamilton is nice, but is so expensive there......so you could ride back and forth :)

In the dockyard itself there is a glassblowing place that demonstrates...that is one of the coolest things......and at the same place there are free samples on rum cakes.

I know they are broke...but summer is here and hopefully they will mow lawns or something to get some money together.......the 12 year old not so much.....but it is nice to have a little spending money on vacation even if its birthday money from grandma or something like that. Its yard sale season....have a family yard sale get them involved helping and share the money as a vacation fund!!!!! Your from Long Island...so am I...you can sell anything at a long island yard sale.....

Finally there is a place right near the ship called snorkel park......don't get roped into this place!!!!

The ship sells an excursion to this place for 50 bucks.......it is beyond robbery.

It used to be five bucks to get in.....at one point it was free.

If you had a bunch of three year olds I would say its ok...because its feet from the ship and toddlers get cranky on busses....

But for your kids....go to horseshoe...or Elbow or Tobbacco........

If it happens to be afternoon and they are not charging admission...which sometimes does happen....its ok to go in there and hang around....but do not pay money to go there.......its nothing compared to real bermuda beaches........

Edited by cherylroslyn

While I haven't been to Bermuda yet, I've been doing a lot of reading. I came across a website for Tom Moore's jungle. It looks very interesting and its FREE! It has a jungle you walk through on your own, caves, mangroves and swimming holes. I think your kids would enjoy it. Check out their website.

Like you, life has me spending all my money! So alas I had to cut my budget down for Bermuda even more!

The suggestion of Tom Moore's Jungle is a good one, and you have the right start with the transportation passes (though they did go up to $19 a day recently as the only way to buy them from the Dockyard).

If you don't mind walking there is a lot you can do for a small amount (I know it raises since you will have 5 of you though. Thinks like some of the forts, the Zoo/Aquarium, Lighthouse can all be done for >$5 pp after the bus pass. I have budgeted a total of $200 now including bus passes for 3 of us for 3 days on the island and am pretty sure I will fall well below that at this point :D

Another thing that you might want to think about is food for lunch while you are in Bermuda. Personally to me, spending $50 on some burgers for the 3 of us, just isn't going to happen! And I know I am not going to want to go back to the ship for food than go back out. Look into some pre-packages snacks/foods that are light and easy to throw into a backpack. I plan on taking things like granola bars, poptarts, and those pre-made tuna snacks with crackers. Sure it isn't the best and healthiest lunches in the world, but paying $4pp/pd and carrying it with us is a much better option IMO.

Another suggestion I have since there is 5 of you, hit a store before you get to the pier and get a case or two of bottled water. Then just have everyone grab a few bottles before heading out for the day. Saves $$ instead of buying a Coke every time someone is thirsty! Many will say just use a reusable water bottle but for $7 per 24 bottles, it would be a lot easier than trying to find a way to fill that bottle again while out and about in Bermuda when it is empty!

• 4 months later...
How long is the ferry ride (time wise)? Generally, is the ride rough? (October). Thinking of taking my DW and DD to St. George.

It is 45 minutes by ferry to St. George's. Generally it is not a rough ride. Been on that ferry many times and never had a rough ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ive read through this thread and appreciate the free/cheap suggestions. just wondering if anyone has any more to add or if OP can update us

Walk from tbe dockyard to "Glass Beach", it's a nice little spit with lots of beach glass and some unique artwork. Also has awesome snorkeling. I suggest by a cheap snorkel kit from Amazon and a pair of Water Shoes.

Another amazing location is "Tom Moore's Jungle" it's a free nature park with some decent hiking trails. If you're adventurous at the Blue Hole (where the little wooden overlook is) there is a path that leads to two seperate cliffs that you cam jump off of into the water. You'll have to swim over to the awooden overlook and climb out, again wear water shoes because the rocks are jagged. If you're really, really adventurous from that location walk to the clearing by the bay, on your left you will see a picnic table, walk to the picnic table and look at the water's edge.

Also, NCL will let you bring soda on the ship and bottles of water. And if you drink wine you are allowed to bring wine on and pay a $15.00 fee per bottle. If you buy a relatively inexpensive bottle you can save that way....I have brought as many as 8 bottles on and have only been charged for four bottles.....so that was a nice unexpected gift:)

I'm never charged for all the bottles....although if you get Super Security Guard you could be charged for all of them......

NCL no longer allows you to bring soda and water on the ship as of July 15, 2016. They do still allow wine with a $15 per bottle fee. https://www.ncl.com/faq/liquor-beverage-policy

Google each port. You could have each kid research a different port. Search Tripadvisor..com and BERMUDA for reader reviews. Have a family meeting, alerting them how any of their purchases are to be handled. Such as $6 cokes etc. Those sea passes are essentially credit cards which someone has to pay for. Same with cabin phones. Have heard of uninformed kids running up hundreds of $ in billings.

here's the ferry schedule and map..to me seems like 19 for all day riding this and the bus could be a tour on it's own.

http://www.seaexpress.bm/Documents/Ferry/Summer%20Schedule%202016_FInal%20Web.pdf

Thank you, so much for posting this! We are heading to Bermuda 10/21/2016. We usually just buy tokens as a 3 Day pass is over kill for us. We usually just go to Horseshoe Bay one day and only need transportation to and from.:D

Walk from tbe dockyard to "Glass Beach", it's a nice little spit with lots of beach glass and some unique artwork. Also has awesome snorkeling. I suggest by a cheap snorkel kit from Amazon and a pair of Water Shoes.

Another amazing location is "Tom Moore's Jungle" it's a free nature park with some decent hiking trails. If you're adventurous at the Blue Hole (where the little wooden overlook is) there is a path that leads to two seperate cliffs that you cam jump off of into the water. You'll have to swim over to the awooden overlook and climb out, again wear water shoes because the rocks are jagged. If you're really, really adventurous from that location walk to the clearing by the bay, on your left you will see a picnic table, walk to the picnic table and look at the water's edge.

Are there signs to direct you to glass beach? Thanks :)