Timing flt to USA from Copenhagen Disembark?

carolbookaholic

We have a chance to book air using FF miles leaving Copenhagen on Delta at 10:45 AM. Our Regent cruise ship arrives Copenhagenat 7AM on a Mon. Anyone know how long it takes to get ship cleared in Copenhagen and for people to disembark?

I have found posts saying airport is about 45 min away from port, just not sure about getting off the ship early enough to arrive at airport with 2 hours ahead of flight, assuming that is what we need

I have flight held so must decide SOON.

Don't have enough miles to go next day as price goes up 35,000 FF miles for 2 tickets on a Tuesday departure.

Thanks in advance for any help or sharing your experience disembarking in Copenhagen...

Carol, South Carolina, USA

Carol, I would check with the cruise line to see the earliest time.

7:00 AM sometimes means the arrival but sometimes means disembarkation.

If it is the arrival then the flight is too early.

Assuming you were off at 8:30 AM the airport is about 45 minutes and precise time does vary. That puts you more like 9:30 AM given that you have to claim your bags, etc.

A 10:45 AM flight is too early for that.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

thanks, Keith...

You have expressed my concerns so well AND I posted same query on Tripadvisor (Copenhagen forum) and had 2 replies there saying what you've said.

Guess we have to add to the budget for buying the airmiles we need, meals and a night in hotel for staying until the next day!

Goes against our frugal nature....

Thanks again for the reply.

Carol

We did a 10 a.m. flight from Copenhagen to Prague after disembarking the Norwegian Sun this past June. It was on a Monday. We walked off the ship and got into a taxi. It was more like 20 minutes to get to the airport.

Recent experience in the Copenhagen airport has shown that we need more than 2 hours arrival ahead time just to get through all the security to the USA. Flights to other destinations (especially within Europe) require far less screening and standing in line.

The time to airport can vary by the location of the dock ..there are 2 places the ships dock Langelinie is closer to the airport

Having said that we did a cruise last year on Insignia that docked at Freeport & the line for the taxi queue was very long

I would stay overnight or take a later flight

Lyn

• 1 year later...
Recent experience in the Copenhagen airport has shown that we need more than 2 hours arrival ahead time just to get through all the security to the USA. Flights to other destinations (especially within Europe) require far less screening and standing in line.

Hi PennyAgain - did you attempt to leave the ship as early as possible? If so, what time and how long did it take?

Hi All - in a pinch for award travel availability, I had to book a 09:20am flight out of CPH. If we get with the purser and tell them of our situation, I am hoping we can get off the ship quickly and still get there in time (we only have carry-ons, are flying intra-Europe, and I have airline status for the priority lines). We would also arrange to have a hired card waiting for us.

Tight, I know... but doable?

Edited by b8b

I would NEVER even attempt it. I would be way too stressed the entire trip just thinking about this. Woah.

I hear you, but it's done, so I will be attempting it ;)

After reading this post, and others like THIS, if we take our own luggage, I think it's quite possible:

We were on the Sun last June doing the Baltic and were flying to Prague at 10:20 a.m.

We were docked at Langerlien Pier. We chose what time we wanted to disembark. Still had the cruise line take our bags the night before. We walked right off and into a cab and was at the airport no less than 20-25 minutes later. I want to say we left the ship about 8:10 a.m. We actually sat around the airport for a while.

If we handle our own luggage (we travel light, just a couple carry-ons), and let the purser know about our situation, we should be some of the first off and can take a taxi directly to the airport. We'll see, but I am hopeful.

Anyone else have any experience with this?

Edited by b8b

I hear you, but it's done, so I will be attempting it ;)

Do you have a back up plan???

I would make sure you have a pre booked taxi or private service the taxi line took us quite some time & we were on a small ship

Good Luck

spend a day in Copenhagen and leave the next day if possible. Copenhagen is a wonderful city. Tivoli gardens is the original amusement park. The day we first went they had a band playing "wonderful wonderful Copenhagen. We were eating lunch at NyHaven(New harbor) and two women were sitting next to us and I kept telling my wife I know them...she says yeah sure and I was positive and we did. They were Celebrity employees from our cruise the previous year through the Panama Canal and the ship was in the Harbor that day...it is a small world.

While it may be possible, I hate worrying the whole trip if I will miss my plane and it never hurts to spend another day somewhere. With the cost of airfare(even FF miles) what is the rush to leave someplace you may never get back to(I have been to Copenhagen 4 times)?

Do you have a back up plan???

I would make sure you have a pre booked taxi or private service the taxi line took us quite some time & we were on a small ship

Yes: beg or pay a fee to change the flight once at the airport :o

Then why did you even ask?

Guess I was hoping for a little encouragement by hearing first-hand stories from people who got off the ship first and just had hand luggage...

If you are asking would an early flight like that be doable I would say likely not.

If this was me I would have taken the flight the next day.

In the meantime I will give you the same advise I gave in 2011 if you read the thread. Get with the cruise line now to see what is the earliest flight they recommend.

Also each cruise line operates differently and each arrival can be different even at the same port.

For example, take a cruise arriving to the Port of Los Angeles. I have been on a cruise when i was off the ship and to the airport by 9:30 AM. Other times best I could do was 10:30 to 11:00 AM. So should I base all my decisions based on arriving that one time at 9:30 AM. To me, no way. I know of people who don't stop at stop signs and never seem to get a ticket or get into an accident but is that what you want to do because of that one person.

I would get with the cruise line but if it was me there is no way I would take such an early flight and I am very familiar with Copenhagen's port, city and airport.

Keith

Also each cruise line operates differently and each arrival can be different even at the same port.

I would get with the cruise line but if it was me there is no way I would take such an early flight and I am very familiar with Copenhagen's port, city and airport.

Thank you, Kieth. I agree completely, I just made the reservations before I realized that 7:00 disembarkation doesn't necessarily mean that. I'm in a pinch, and will hope for the best, and will just have to deal with the change fees if I can't make it.

Since I will have to attempt this anyway, should I take a taxi all the way to the airport or to Nørreport Station and take the metro from there to the airport?

My guess is stay in the taxi... finger's crossed.

I obviously made a mistake (first cruise in 10 years!), and I could get all worried about it, but I figure I might as well try since I'd have to pay a change fee either way (now or later) and at least later I might be able to find a more direct flight anyway. Sigh...

We did a 10 a.m. flight from Copenhagen to Prague after disembarking the Norwegian Sun this past June. It was on a Monday. We walked off the ship and got into a taxi. It was more like 20 minutes to get to the airport.

Here's hoping we have the same experience! =)

Here's hoping we have the same experience! =)

Keep in mind that flying to Prague is different than flying to the US. You will have to go through immigration and, possibly, additional security for a flight to the US...neither is necessary for the flight to the Czech Republic (same immigration zone as Denmark). So, that will add time.

Edited by Zach1213

If we handle our own luggage (we travel light, just a couple carry-ons), and let the purser know about our situation, we should be some of the first off and can take a taxi directly to the airport. We'll see, but I am hopeful.

Keep in mind that many people will be wanting off the ship ASAP and you get no special treatment.

Be standing where the line will start about midnight so you are first in line to exit.

• 4 weeks later...

I made it to the airport via taxi (50 Euros!!) by 7:40 AM with plenty of time to spare, having second breakfast in the SAS lounge now... The only thing I'd do differently is have the taxi take me to the nearest metro station so if save some $ on the transfer.

BTW: There's no such thing as luck, life is what you make of it.

I made it to the airport via taxi (50 Euros!!) by 7:40 AM with plenty of time to spare, having second breakfast in the SAS lounge now... The only thing I'd do differently is have the taxi take me to the nearest metro station so if save some $ on the transfer.

BTW: There's no such thing as luck, life is what you make of it.

Thanks for letting us know. Hope you enjoyed your cruise.

• 2 years later...

Hi, I'm hoping to get info from people who have flown out of Copenhagen more recently.

I am on the NCL Star and it arrives in Copenhagen on July 4 at 7:00am. We will have already spent a couple days in Copenhagen prior to the cruise and would like to get out of town and spend our next couple days elsewhere in Europe. Problem is almost all the good, cheap flights leave a little early for our comfort. Actually I'm a bit of a risk taker...I almost missed our flight out of Shanghai because I had to go back for more dumplings. My wife is more on the other end of the spectrum and would probably be fine sitting around the airport for 3 hours just to be on the safe side. So, I'm looking for an idea of what is the earliest flight we could book out of Copenhagen and still be married at the end of the trip.

We would walk off with our own luggage and take a taxi directly there. Destination would be somewhere in Europe. We expect hightened security due to recent threats made for the month of Ramadan. I don't think July 4 in particular is an elevated risk in Europe, but thought I'd mention it just in case. Anybody done this recently?

Edited by belgiantuesday