Norwegian Sun stateroom 0326

jg51

Good day, all.

I realize that the Sun is one of the least-well-known ships in NCL's fleet to the CruiseCritic crowd. Nevertheless, I am hoping that someone will be able to give me a report, good or bad, about stateroom 0326 (which, I guess, could be called 10326).

It is aft on the Norway Deck, directly below the Pool Deck -- and thus very convenient to the buffet restaurant and other important locales.

My concern is that this stateroom is extremely close to, if not right up against an elevator shaft. It is two decks directly above stateroom 8333, which once got a terrible CC review. (People in it were permitted to move because the elevator was noisy and caused a lot of vibrations.)

Can anyone tell me if 0326 is OK in that regard? If not -- i.e., if the three or more staterooms in the same tier (8333, 9nnn, 0326, etc.) are all plagued by the elevator against which they are situated -- why would NCL keep booking people into them? Wouldn't they be risking terrible P.R.?

If I decide to stick with 0326 and it turns out to be bad news, what are the odds of being unable to move? Do cruise lines intentionally leave several staterooms empty, in order to accommodate dissatisfied passengers?

Many thanks for helping me to learn. ;)

Have you gone onto NCL.com for your sailing and looked to see if there are any other cabins in your catagory available?

You didn't say when your sailing was so I couldn't check up on your cruise...my dh and I didn't like our assigned cabin (to close to the elevator) so I just kept checking on my sailing until other cabins opened in our catagory and called my agent to have them switch us. It was no problem.

If there are none in your catagory you could always go up or down one for a better location.

Do cruise lines intentionally leave several staterooms empty, in order to accommodate dissatisfied passengers? ;)

Well I can't help you with your cabin question, but as to your second, NO.

The cruise lines do not keep cabins open to accommodate dissatisfied pax. There are a few threads where the ship is at capacity and someone who was unhappy with their cabin for whatever reason was unable to have it changed. You might luck out that one or two cabins have not been sold prior to the sailing, if there is a problem, but I would never count on it. :cool:

Our last cruise on HAL was full to capacity but over the 33 days several people died so a few cabins did open up so people were able to move - this was on the Rotterdam which was having issues following a major drydock and we know of at least 1 couple that was moved to a different cabin 2/3rds of the way through the cruise.

I asked a similar question about this same cabin before, and while nobody gave me any definite answers, no one screamed at me to change my cabin immediately. I'm in this cabin beginning June 13, 2011 (Yay, Baltics!). Here is the thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1203672

It was weird seeing my cabin number on someone else's thread . . .

--Michael

Edited by numberguy

(1) Thanks for the warning, "Sauer-Kraut." I'll have to hope to have luck finding an empty cabin (if I need one).

(2) I won't count on anyone kicking the bucket, "iflyrc5."

(3) Thanks, "Cruise NH." Yes, I thoroughly scanned the deck layouts at ncl.com. I chose stateroom 0326, even though several others were available, because of its time-saving location (so close to the aft stairs, which I want to use a lot, and elevators) and isolation (no staterooms next door). I appreciate your suggestion, however, to look at the next higher category. I may be tempted to see if a good stateroom is available and if I can afford it.

(4) Hello, "numberguy" Michael. Yeah, that is very interesting about our both wanting (and worrying about) the same cabin, isn't it? My cruise would be later in 2011 than yours. Thanks for pointing me to the 2008 thread about #0326. When I was choosing that cabin, I did take a look at the thing that concerned "Sea Hag" (namely, what was directly above "our room"). My impression, however, is different from hers. I suspect that it's not really part of the open area of the kitchen for the buffet, but more likely a passageway or a storage compartment. Keep your fingers crossed. ;)

• 6 years later...
  • 10 months later...

We were in cabin 0266 (aft balcony) on the Sun in February (not sure how close this is) and we had no complaints of noise. Only issue was that on a couple of days (of a 2 wk south america cruise) we had black ash rain down on the balcony. It was cleaned up but, not without have a couple of souvenir black spots on our pants.;)

. Only issue was that on a couple of days (of a 2 wk south america cruise) we had black ash rain down on the balcony. It was cleaned up but, not without have a couple of souvenir black spots on our pants.;)

This is a reoccurring issue with After section balconies on the Sun.