What to do in Mykonos for the day??

Kiwi_cruiser

We have never been to Mykonos before.

I was wondering what is their to do there?

What do you do when you go there?? :)

Is there any private tours you would recommend??

Any tips/advise/ideas are very welcome. :cool:

Wander. get lost. Have a beverage of choice sitting 'on the ocean', find the windmills. Take 100 pictures of boats, blue roofed churches and windmills along with whitewashed alleys. Adventure with history? Take the water ferry over to Delos. (Plan ahead, ck times online before going) Walk the ruins, stop in the tiny museum. Lovely Mykonos.... Have one of the best days of your entire cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just as s1amblue says - Wander. Get lost - then find yourself in Little Venice at lunchtime and eat in one of the restaurants right beside the sea. Drink a glass of two of the local wine and eat some of the local delicacies and perhaps you might be joined by Pedros, the local star attraction!!

(He's a pelican!!)

Yes, find the windmills after wandering through the maze of narrow whitewashed alleyways, visit the myriad of tiny little shops and cafe bars.

Your few hours in Mykonos town will pass in a flash.

Chill out and enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Adventure with history? Take the water ferry over to Delos. (Plan ahead, ck times online before going) Walk the ruins, stop in the tiny museum.

Another vote for Delos. I find a couple hours in Mykonos town is plenty for me. But I could spend several days at Delos. Don't miss it if you like ancient history. Delos was long a sacred islands (to the Greeks) and a center of commerce -- especially the slave trade -- for the Romans. Lots to see there. Ferry ride to the island can be done with or without a tour.

Wander. get lost. Have a beverage of choice sitting 'on the ocean', find the windmills. Take 100 pictures of boats, blue roofed churches and windmills along with whitewashed alleys. Adventure with history? Take the water ferry over to Delos. (Plan ahead, ck times online before going) Walk the ruins, stop in the tiny museum. Lovely Mykonos.... Have one of the best days of your entire cruise!

Exactly!!!

When we were there last year, we took the first ferry over to Delos and spent the morning there. We really enjoyed it and the views from the top of the "mountain" were spectacular. We really liked just being able to explore on our own (I had the Rick Steves' guidebook and the map they gave us when we bought the tickets so we knew what we were looking at).

Then we came back on the 12:30 (I think?) ferry, had lunch in Mykonos town, wandered around, and saw the windmills/pelican (he is surprisingly large!). Then we headed back to the ship. It was a very nice day!

Another vote for Delos, a wonderful place to wonder around. Or if you like to swim, there are some excellent beaches nearby. You can take the local

bus and spend the day. A good hotel, with private beaches and chairs, does cost, but well worth it.

Spot on.Their are several winding streets of shops where you can browse at leisure without being hassled by shop staff.

Usually listed as a tender port and tenders deliver you into town but if berthed at the new port then a free shuttle bus takes you the mile or so from ship to bus station then it is a short walk on past the "red fishing boat" to get to town.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When we were there it was listed as a tender port, but we docked at the new port (It's probably a mile from town). I didn't see a free shuttle. We took the water taxi. It wasn't very expensive and was very convenient especially if you are intending to hop on the ferry to Delos.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

The first time I visited, the only choice was the shuttle run by the town, and it wasn't free. The second time I was on a more "all inclusive" line and they put on a free shuttle service for us. It's likely if you're on a more mass market line the shuttle will have a small charge (worth it to avoid the long walk into town).

Plus there is now the water shuttle, which is also a good option.

• 2 weeks later...

Wander the streets, get lost, enjoy some local Greek food, gelato, we saw Pedro the pelican and the windmills. Our ship was anchored so we tendered in, this was great because you come straight to the centre of town. On of my children's favourite ports.

More information in my cruise review here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/showthread.php?t=2506253

Hope that helps.

Lou

We docked at the port which was quite a distance from Mykonos town. We took the ship's shuttle which was $10 pp if I remember correctly. Where the shuttle drops you off is still quite a walk from the town. Along the sea we happened upon a restaurant where we had some great Greek food and had a bottle of wine. We met some friends that told us a better transportation option to get back to the ship was a water bus right from Mykonos town to the dock.. It was 2 or 3€. After lunch we wondered the streets and did a little shopping, olives, olive wood utensils, framed prints, some unique handmade jewelry items. It was a fun relaxing day. The temperature that May day was quite warm so I imagine the summer is hot hot!

Not to forget some very good shopping opportunities for modern jewelry with a Greek twist. Some very funky pieces. A wide range of prices. From a few Euro to tens of thousands.

And some very good ice cream. Last time we found a little place that did a sensational olive oil sorbet....

There is plenty to do in the village and immediate vicinity. No real need to go on any excursions further afield, with the exception of Delos, if the ferry itineraries suit.

Mykonos is one of our favorite Greek Islands for a beach day. There are lots of beaches scattered around the island and many of them can be accessed by using island buses. We sometimes will take a bus from the bus station located near the windmills (there is another bus station on the other side of town) over to Paradise Beach. Sometimes we will just spend most of the day on Paradise (there are facilities) or we might grab a boat from Paradise over to nearby Super Paradise (this beach is less crowded and developed).

Mykonos Town does have some cute shops and decent cafes....so we will usually head back to town in time to spend a couple of hours browsing and having a drink along the small harbor.

Hank

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We took a cab to SuperParadise. We were some of the first ones there. Front row lounge chairs were 2 (with umbrella and towels) for 40E. They got cheaper as they went back. The front row, even though more expensive, filled up quick since they offered an amazing place to sit and enjoy the water. The crowds didn't start coming for about an hour or 2 later and the place filled up as the day went on but we really enjoyed having the beach to ourselves in the morning. It was a windy day in Mykonos but we didn't know that until we went back to town. It was absolutely beautiful on the beach. They have clean bathrooms and places to change and also decent priced food. We took a cab back to the windmills in the afternoon and enjoyed walking around and stopping for lunch overlooking the water. Celebrity docked and we were given a free shuttle bus to and from town.

Did anyone take a tour of Delos or did it on their own? I see a tour for $59.00 and its about 32 euros for the ferry and admission, so around $38.00.

Also I saw a catamaran/cruise that includes lunch, snorkeling, etc, but seems expensive at $110.00.

Anyone do any sort of tour?

Did anyone take a tour of Delos or did it on their own? I see a tour for $59.00 and its about 32 euros for the ferry and admission, so around $38.00.

Also I saw a catamaran/cruise that includes lunch, snorkeling, etc, but seems expensive at $110.00.

Anyone do any sort of tour?

For Delos, the ships generally offer a tour at a not-too-terrible price, or you can do it yourself by going over on the ferry, which has a limited number of back-and-forth trips during the day. If you buy your own ferry tickets you can decide whether or not you want the guided tour, which is a few euro more per person. Unless you come prepared with a guidebook and notes, it may be worth having the tour. (I've done it both ways...)

Warning -- Delos gets very hot as there is little protection from the sun. There is a small museum onsite that's worth a visit and has bathrooms, if I recall correctly.

Info on the ferries and tours here: http://www.delostours.gr/en/

Could not agree more!!! Mykonos is one of my most favorite cities in the world!