cheap flights?

JABrown104

Originally we wanted to drive to port, but the cruise we found that we want to take is leaving out of Miami, and that's an 18hour drive from stl!

And unfortunately the cruise is thanksgiving week 2015. Is there a cheap time to book flights for this week? or tips to save money on a flight!

Thanks!

the earlier the better... SWA is going to release their schedule for Nov -> Jan around May 19. And looking at their pricing, Tue/Wed/Thur are (usually) the cheaper rates.

As an alternative, you can also fly into FLL (Fort Lauderdale) since it is not very far from the port of Miami.

Steve

Play around with the days of the week if you have some leeway as when you can fly. You can take a look at prices on comparison sites like:

http://www.kayak.com or matrix.itasoftware.com

I look at them just to see prices and then book on the airline's own site.

I don't know who flies from your closest airport but sometimes driving to another nearby airport also saves money. You can put in "nearby airports"to search on matrix to see if that makes a difference.

The only airline you might not see is if Southwest is also an option for you. They only show up on their own web site.

the earlier the better... SWA is going to release their schedule for Nov -> Jan around May 19

Not necessarily. Historically speaking, when dates go on sale they start at a certain price, increase, and then they dip again (around the 45 day mark). Statistically, the 45 day mark is when you're most likely to find a good deal.

About Southwest, they are not the price leader they once were although they still benefit from that past claim to fame. They do release a VERY limited number of deeply discounted seats when a date initially goes on sale, but usually within 24 hours, their fares are just as expensive (if not more) than other air lines (and their itineraries and frequency tend to be more restrictive). We used Southwest last summer and we had to add 2 days to our vacation in order to take advantage of the most inexpensive fares.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

And unfortunately the cruise is thanksgiving week 2015. Is there a cheap time to book flights for this week? or tips to save money on a flight!

Thanks!

The short answer is no. Thanksgiving week is always a peak period for air travel and rates tend to be high. If there was a set time that was cheaper to book everyone would book then, the airlines would see that demand rose during that time, and in response they would raise prices for that time period. Economics 101... the laws of supply and demand.

If you like driving and if it is only adults (no kids) I would consider driving.

We drove from Ontario to Texas in 2005 with my sister and BIL and enjoyed it immensely (in November as well). Two nights in hotels down and also two nights in hotels on the way back. We were in no great hurray. Stopped in Graceland on the way back!!! Awesome place. Great way to extend that vacation if you CAN!!

For south Florida -- Monday evening, Tuesday , Wednesday and before noon on Thursday are the best chances of better fares. The huge cruise ships come in Sat morn and Sun. morn and often "others -- not the 7 day ships" also come in the weekend period. If an extra and large ship comes in mid-week then prices will reflect that. Lots of cruise schedules have planning to take in the Thanksgiving holiday so it is likely to be even higher than high season norm. In my experience (family lived there since 1950's) the only higher price week to travel is the week between Christmas and New Years and depending on bowl schedules up to the 6th of Jan. (my DGD has her birthday this week and I have paid big time to get to her party)!

Also consider when planning that hotel rooms at this time are also at there very highest! High Season + and really no deals -- they don't have to. I would say that the high prices at Thanksgiving cover most of the state! MCO (Orlando) is out because that is THE MOUSE's 2nd busiest week of the year. Tampa maybe but it is several hour drive to Miami. Jacksonville worth a try but all day drive. West Palm Beach -- bet others know about that shorter drive though. Smaller airports usually larger prices.

Hey good luck but you have picked one of the highest periods of the whole year and prices DO reflect that. One last tip -- check out to see what is going on in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale -- big events +cruisers make for very high prices. I leave for FLL on Thursday for family event -- Thurs to Weds. ticket down $17 (points from last Christmas $900 roundtrip) and back at $89. Even the rental car is a couple of hundred less than in Nov/Dec/Jan.

I looked at non-stop roundtrip flights from Chicago to Fort Lauderdale for my March 2015 cruise and the cost is outrageous (American $600+ and United $700+)!:eek: Why are the prices so high this far out?

Sometimes you can find a sweet spot for flights, but holidays will always be higher.

For instance, I am constantly watching El Paso to Houston flights. I found the sweet spot for those flights is 5 to 6 weeks out for non holiday flights, booking on a Tuesday late night or early morning Wednesday. Never booking (as in making the booking, not actual flight days) on a weekend.

We cruised over Thanksgiving last year and same flights cost us $400 more than flying next month (flying out Saturday, returning Monday following week). I booked those flights about 8 weeks out. If you fly SW like we do, and get their

Wanna Get Away fares, and find it cheaper at some point, you can call, rebook and have that extra $ credited for future flights.

Also, SW, Jet Blue, etc won't often show up on Priceline, Expedia, etc...you have to go online and check them out. I watch SW constantly...I mean all the time for price drops. :cool:

Sometimes you can find a sweet spot for flights, but holidays will always be higher.

For instance, I am constantly watching El Paso to Houston flights. I found the sweet spot for those flights is 5 to 6 weeks out for non holiday flights, booking on a Tuesday late night or early morning Wednesday. Never booking (as in making the booking, not actual flight days) on a weekend.

We cruised over Thanksgiving last year and same flights cost us $400 more than flying next month (flying out Saturday, returning Monday following week). I booked those flights about 8 weeks out. If you fly SW like we do, and get their

Wanna Get Away fares, and find it cheaper at some point, you can call, rebook and have that extra $ credited for future flights.

Also, SW, Jet Blue, etc won't often show up on Priceline, Expedia, etc...you have to go online and check them out. I watch SW constantly...I mean all the time for price drops. :cool:

Just FYI, you don't have to call them to rebook on the cheaper flight. You can do it completely online with just a few clicks. Go in to your current reservation, click to change a reservation, click which legs you want to change (one or both), choose the new dates (if applicable), choose the new flights, and boom. Takes about 90 seconds and a few clicks of the mouse.

Be aware that you rebook and the money saved is actually a credit for a future flight -- funds must be used in about 18 months. So your money is tied up but it is great that you get the price break in any way! One reason I use SWA for domestic -- still usually cheaper and DING! me -- you have hope of it going cheaper. Tomorrow's flight to FLL is a credit from a BWI to LAX flight which dropped in price by $97. Works for me!:D