Gloves For Taking Outside Photos in Cold Weather

We are taking a cruise of the Northwest Passage next year.

It will include a lot of time outside and in the cold weather.

Does anyone have suggestions on gloves that can be used while I take photos outdoors?

Thanks,

Keith

I bought a pair of Aquatech gloves just for this purpose when we went to Antarctica. They are warm gloves that let you poke your index finger and thumb out to control your camera. I used them, but mostly they were a pain in the you know what, and I just took one glove off a lot, or kept a thin glove liner on.

Some of the birders had mittens that let them fold the whole flap back and expose four fingers.

Edited by Turtles06

When I went to Alaska I bought a pair of very cheap fleece gloves cut the fingertips off the thumb and fore finger and it worked great. You can buy the gloves made for shooting or photography but they are more than I want to spend.

John

I wore fingerless gloves when we went to Alaska and they worked just fine. No special brand, just inexpensive woven fingerless gloves. I like John's idea of cutting the fingertips off a pair of fleece gloves ... that would work well, too!

Go to a skiing store (or similar) and ask for some glove liners. They'll be thin yet warm, and clingy so they won't flop around and you can still use your camera just fine. See Alaska Sampler-170 and Alaska Sampler-174 for yours truly in action - I kept those gloves on for hours and kept shooting just fine. Almost unnoticeable.

On our last Alaska trip, I just used a pair for inexpensive knitted stretch gloves ($5 at Target). They were thin enough to allow for adjusting controls and while not warm enough for really cold weather, I wasn't uncomfortable in the mid-thirties we encountered during a Tracy Arm glacier tour.

Dave

I use these:

http://smile.amazon.com/Hot-Shot-Sentry-Mittens-Oatmeal/dp/B0057XA2KS/ref=sr_1_29?ie=UTF8&qid=1435202481&sr=8-29&keywords=photography+gloves

They're like mittens where the top flips down. Mine are fleece rather than knit. I can wiggle one finger out and the rest can stay in the mitten and I can get it in and out one-handed.

You also could put a slit in a cheap glove, rather than cutting the tip off and do the same thing. I find my right index finger is the only finger I need to uncover.

• 2 weeks later...

For various antarctica trips I have used silk liner gloves, cheap cotton fingerless gloves, and an old pair of fleece gloves that I cut the little slit in the index and thumb so I could flip fingers out when required.

More often that not I mostly end up just having the camera hand ungloved but each of the above solutions have been satisfactory.

I have done Alaska aurora photography north of Fairbanks in March. Really really cold.

I used either mittens or gloves with liners inside of the gloves/mittens. When it was really really really cold like negative 30 with a wind, I used mittens, liners, and chemical heating pads that I kept in my pockets or occasionally even inside of the mittens.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

• 2 weeks later...
These are the photo gloves I used in Antarctica: http://www.amazon.com/Freehands-Softshell-Photo-Gloves-Large/dp/B00GYLO2YO

They worked great...loved being able to have only my index finger and thumb actually exposed to the cold.

Thank you for your recommendation.

I ended up getting these gloves and they just arrived.

I am pleased with the fit and hopefully they will work out well for us.

This is for a cruise we are taking next year that will go from Seward through the Northwest Passage and over to Greenland and then end in NYC. We will be on a 1,000 passenger cruise ship which will be the largest passenger ship to traverse this route. Hopefully it will make for a lot of outdoor photos and I wanted to have gloves to be on the safe side as weather is always a variable.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

Thank you for your recommendation.

I ended up getting these gloves and they just arrived.

I am pleased with the fit and hopefully they will work out well for us.

This is for a cruise we are taking next year that will go from Seward through the Northwest Passage and over to Greenland and then end in NYC. We will be on a 1,000 passenger cruise ship which will be the largest passenger ship to traverse this route. Hopefully it will make for a lot of outdoor photos and I wanted to have gloves to be on the safe side as weather is always a variable.

Keith

Oh good! And that trip sounds pretty awesome. I hope you report back here so we can all see! :)

Keith

So glad you're able to do this trip Keith. We had been looking at it since it was first announced but will need to wait until it becomes a bit more mainstream.