Doing our own thing

Jan the City Fan

We are not looking at doing an organised tour in Curacao, we have a few planned for other ports.

We, myself & partner would like to walk over the moving bridge & take a short look around the shops.

We would then like to go to Mambo beach for the day. Are taxi's available in the town , and are there taxi's at Mambo beach to get back to the ship.

Thanjs Jan xx

Last May, when we arrived in Curacao, we walked to the taxi stand just outside the port area and shared a van to Mambo Beach (we asked go be dropped off where the Blvd. Shops are). The cost was $5/person. There was a charge for accessing the beach ($3.50/person and we rented lounge chairs for $3/each). The beach was very clean and so was the water. We had a few drinks at the Tiki bar right on the beach. There are two levels of restaurants and shops at this location, and restrooms.

Last May, when we arrived in Curacao, we walked to the taxi stand just outside the port area and shared a van to Mambo Beach (we asked go be dropped off where the Blvd. Shops are). The cost was $5/person. There was a charge for accessing the beach ($3.50/person and we rented lounge chairs for $3/each). The beach was very clean and so was the water. We had a few drinks at the Tiki bar right on the beach. There are two levels of restaurants and shops at this location, and restrooms.

Thanks

In Curacao, we usually go to the beach in the morning, go back to the ship for lunch and then walk around Willemstad in the afternoon. That way, we

are nearer to the ship in the afternoon.

Also, most of the time, we have had enough sun at the beach after 3 or 4 hours. It can get very warm in Curacao.

Edited by cruiseapril

In Curacao, we usually go to the beach in the morning, go back to the ship for lunch and then walk around Willemstad in the afternoon. That way, we

are nearer to the ship in the afternoon.

Also, most of the time, we have had enough sun at the beach after 3 or 4 hours. It can get very warm in Curacao.

Yeh that may be worth thinking about. Thanks xx

The Curacao Tourist Board sent me a link to a PDF for Architectural Walking Guide of Historic Willemstad that is fantastic:

http://www.curacao.com/en/directory/do/adventures/tours/

Some other interesting info there as well that may appeal to you.

Thanks for that I have been looking for a printed version of the Otrobanda self-guided tour because the guided ones are not available during our port times. I did the other one years ago on our last visit to Curacao but this is a nice description with nice photos.

• 2 weeks later...

This will be our first visit to Curacao. How far a walk is the colorful town from the pier? It seems that there are 2 ports, one on the outside of the island and one past the Queen Emma bridge. Is there a way to find out which pier we will be at? I'm always nervous about getting back to the ship on time.

We would like to walk around and see some of the history, shop a little and go onto the Queen Emma bridge. Does the bridge have a schedule? One place I read was that you don't want to be caught on it - why? Does it take a long time to open and close?

Thanks for any information.

This will be our first visit to Curacao. How far a walk is the colorful town from the pier? It seems that there are 2 ports, one on the outside of the island and one past the Queen Emma bridge. Is there a way to find out which pier we will be at? I'm always nervous about getting back to the ship on time.

We would like to walk around and see some of the history, shop a little and go onto the Queen Emma bridge. Does the bridge have a schedule? One place I read was that you don't want to be caught on it - why? Does it take a long time to open and close?

Thanks for any information.

It is a 5-10 minute walk depending on how fast you walk. When we have cruised there we have been the only ship and ported on the "outside of the island" at the Megapier.

The bridge opens and closes as ships/cargo ships etc. come and go - it the bridge is closed to let a ship through, there is a ferry that is free that will take you across. When we were in Curacao last September for a week, the bridge was closed for maintenance and we used the ferry. It could take a while for it to "open and close" depending on the size of the ship/ boat coming through.