Oceania Exclusive Excursions

winewheels

We thought it was worth the extra $. We went to Masada with a guide who (like most men in Israel) had served in the Israeli army and there were 15 of us. He could not tell us, even 2 years ago, what he had done in the 6 Day War.

He took us to a little area on the top of the mt and described what had happened historically and then from a military/strategic view. If we had gone with the typical bus load he couldn't have done it.

Imagine all of that from the top of the mt---looking around and down--absolutely one of the highlights of our travels.

I asked him a bunch of questions being an old history teacher and the 3 of us had lunch together--amazing guy.

Some areas just lend themselves to O Exclusives and we will take a few of them when we do RTW/2016. Usually we are big on DIY.

Are the Oceania Exclusive excursions really worth the additional cost? What is the average number of people on any standard excursion?

Welcome to Cruise Critic. I see this is your first post.

Many veteran Oceania cruisers (like myself) do not believe that ANY of the Oceania shore excursions are worth what Oceania charges. There is a large contingent of Oceania cruisers who organize their own private tours on the roll calls for this reason. If you have already booked an Oceania cruise, you can join the roll call for your cruise -- by going to ROLL CALLS, OCEANIA ROLL CALLS, [sHIP NAME] ROLL CALLS (and find your sailing) -- where you will find other cruisers on your sailing who are organizing private tours.

There are other cruisers who prefer to take the Oceania excursions (larger groups, more expensive, no control over guide or itinerary) and nothing is wrong with that -- it's a choice they make because they feel it is less risky and there is no chance of "missing the ship." I am sure some of those cruisers will post as well, including some who have taken the "exclusive" excursions.

I take plenty of private tours, and I organize my fair share as well. I also take Oceania’s shore excursions, though never an “exclusive” one. On a recent back-to-back in the Mediterranean, I never counted more than 30 on a regular ship tour. Some regular tours end up being small groups of about 10 anyway; one trick is to pick unusual or eclectic tours that the hordes are not interested in signing up for. I’ve had some extraordinary guides too, on the ship excursions—not always, but often enough.

This past June, after I fell and broke my arm in Portugal, I was truly grateful to have been on a ship excursion. The tour leader immediately called the port agent, who arrived within 10 minutes. She whisked me off to a private hospital, did all the translating, and got me fixed up and back to the ship in time for its early departure. If I’d been on a private tour, it’s anyone’s guess what might have happened.

Was that worth the higher price? You decide.

-Sukey-

We took one of the pricey excursions that mixed time in the Culinary Center with going to a local restaurant (in Greece), helping to prepare a meal and later having one of the best lunches that we have had in Europe. Wine and Ouzo was free flowing. It was an amazing excursion and worth every penny.

We have also joined a small group for a private excursion. It was also lovely.

We take the ship tour's because it just seems a safer bet. The truth they are very overpriced. The last two we were on were on the Mayen Mystery Cruise to see the ruins in two ports. The busses were large, very old, tour busses that were 100% full. In one port we were next to a NCL ship. They had same tour, same busses, parked in same parking lot at ruins, same guides from same company. NCL price 69$. Oceania price 139$. It is what it is.

I take plenty of private tours, and I organize my fair share as well. I also take Oceania’s shore excursions, though never an “exclusive” one. On a recent back-to-back in the Mediterranean, I never counted more than 30 on a regular ship tour. Some regular tours end up being small groups of about 10 anyway; one trick is to pick unusual or eclectic tours that the hordes are not interested in signing up for. I’ve had some extraordinary guides too, on the ship excursions—not always, but often enough.

This past June, after I fell and broke my arm in Portugal, I was truly grateful to have been on a ship excursion. The tour leader immediately called the port agent, who arrived within 10 minutes. She whisked me off to a private hospital, did all the translating, and got me fixed up and back to the ship in time for its early departure. If I’d been on a private tour, it’s anyone’s guess what might have happened.

-Sukey-

FYI -- I have been on two private tours where there were injuries. The private guides not only had first aid kits and administered first aid, but they were prepared to take the injured person to the hospital. Reputable companies take good care of their customers.

We took one of the pricey excursions that mixed time in the Culinary Center with going to a local restaurant (in Greece), helping to prepare a meal and later having one of the best lunches that we have had in Europe. Wine and Ouzo was free flowing. It was an amazing excursion and worth every penny.

We have also joined a small group for a private excursion. It was also lovely.

IMO that kind of tour is an exception because it is linked to the Culinary Center and it cannot be replicated privately.

The last two we were on were on the Mayen Mystery Cruise to see the ruins in two ports. The busses were large, very old

We also took that cruise. I wonder where you had big old busses from port to the ruins. In Belize? Where else?

Belize: All busses were old and rickety as we found out later by talking to other passengers. We switched from our bus to a small river boat (~ 15 passengers) and were almost alone at the Lamanai ruins. The boats had staggered arrival times, therefore few people at the same time.

Mexico's Costa Maya: Again, we were the only ship. Fairly new busses, plenty of them and lots of people at the ruins which were relatively close.

Guatemala's Tikal: Too far from port for private tours. Old but functioning bus from port to airport, two really small charter planes, two new small busses to go to Tikal.

Edited by Floridiana

We take the ship tour's because it just seems a safer bet. The truth they are very overpriced. The last two we were on were on the Mayen Mystery Cruise to see the ruins in two ports. The busses were large, very old, tour busses that were 100% full. In one port we were next to a NCL ship. They had same tour, same busses, parked in same parking lot at ruins, same guides from same company. NCL price 69$. Oceania price 139$. It is what it is.

It sure is what it is.

You don't have to endure it.

Your choice.

For my upcoming cruise in January (Cape Town to Singapore) I have booked 15 private tours for CCers. Everyone of them is spectacular with highly rated guides. Some involve game drives for which Oceania is charging 3 to 4 times what we are paying.

What I often suggest to those who have never taken a private excursion because of the "safer bet" issue is to try to take one in a port where there is a late stay or overnight and "not getting back to the ship" is a non issue. I also recommend that you join a tour organized by someone who has a lot of experience organizing private tours -- someone who diligently researches and vets guides and takes care of every little detail.

Edited by pacheco18

I endure the ships tours because I feel more secure on them than a private one. I also do not want to get involved with a passenger who is organizing a tour who might turn out to be obnoxious and hard to deal with. We are all lucky we have such wide choices on how to spend our vacation dollars.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

I endure the ships tours because I feel more secure on them than a private one. I also do not want to get involved with a passenger who is organizing a tour who might turn out to be obnoxious and hard to deal with. We are all lucky we have such wide choices on how to spend our vacation dollars.

What about the obnoxious people on the ships' tours? With 30 plus you have a greater chance of being with obnoxious people than with a small group of 8 or 10.

On the roll calls you get a sense of how people are. Much better IMO than the crap shoot of touring with 30 + strangers on a big bus.

I agree. Nice to have choices.

This is the first time I have seen a tour where Oceania locks you in (you either take their excursion or you stay on the ship). The excursion is to Laguna San Rafeal (Chile) - and according to the cruise information it's a couple hundred per person for a three hour tour. You don't want to pay? Then you stay on the ship. Has anyone done this tour?

This is the first time I have seen a tour where Oceania locks you in (you either take their excursion or you stay on the ship). The excursion is to Laguna San Rafeal (Chile) - and according to the cruise information it's a couple hundred per person for a three hour tour. You don't want to pay? Then you stay on the ship. Has anyone done this tour?

Sounds like a sea day to me

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Perhaps because the tour does not involve tendering onto land but just visiting the glacier on water in a zodiac.

I She whisked me off to a private hospital, did all the translating, and got me fixed up and back to the ship in time for its early departure. If I’d been on a private tour, it’s anyone’s guess what might have happened.

-Sukey-

And we were on a private tour prior to boarding the ship in Beijing and my friend broke a crown. The next morning our guide whisked us off to a dentist to have it fixed. 30 minutes she was back with us. There were 12 of us and everyone was grateful for this. Do you think 30 people in an Oceania bus would have waited any amount of time for this?? Another story - my husband fell and broke his shoulder when we were in Taiwan in February - on a private tour. The tour guide made arrangements for the paramedics to come and for a taxi to take us back to the ship. Everyone on the bus - all 16 of us - never said a word about the delay. So it all depends on where you are and who your private guide is! Arlene

How secure to you have to be? Getting back to the ship on time. Oceania and all other cruise lines scare people into thinking they are the only ones who get back on time. In all my travels - 18 on Oceania - and dozens and dozens of private tour planning, I can say that I have never been late by one minute to arrive at the ship. And I totally agree with Laraine as to the obnoxious people you can find on an Oceania tour - I'm sure there are many, especially when you have 30-50 people on a bus!! And yes you have very wide choices and if you choose to spend more money on ship's tours, so be it. I'd rather save half and shop!!:rolleyes: Arlene

I think people tend to forget not everyone wants to join independent tours and many dont mind spending the money for Oceanias excursions..everyones safety level is different ..I have taken private and bus tours and enjoyed them all..each can create its own problems as nothing is perfect in travel..not everyone wants to go on private tours as many dont want to go on Oceania tours..its very personal

For the person who has never been late to the ship..she is lucky, I have known many over the years who have missed the ship on private tours..

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz

I have known many over the years who have missed the ship on private tours..

Jancruz1

Jan -- poor planning.

Many people who organize private tours do not take into account the "what ifs", or they book a tour that is too ambitious for the time in port, or they do not leave enough time to get back to the ship well before sailing and book with a company that has no "backup" if something goes wrong. I have never come close to missing the ship nor have any of the folks I know who regularly organize private tours. Reputable companies would go out of business if they did not get you back to the ship on time.

Nice to have choices.

You should be able to figure out in advance if your organizer is difficult or not (as I just noticed that Laraine said as well) just from posts on the roll call. It could be much more difficult to analyze the personalities of the other members of the tour who may not post. And you may well have "better" odds of meeting unpleasant people the more fellow passengers you have. (And NO chance of determining in advance if someone might be difficult if you're on a ship's tour.)

Having said that, while we've encountered some people who could be called "difficult" on both ship's and DIY tours, there haven't been many. (I remember one couple on a Renaissance ship's tour to Delphi that was late returning to the bus at each and every stop.)

The only time we were really late was when the ship's tour bus broke down in the countryside in Chile. We were a good two hours late. We've very occasionally been back on board a little later than the official back on board time, but never worse than 15 minutes. That wasn't planned, but stuff CAN happen.

When I organize a tour I tell the guide we want to be back well in advance of that half hour. We've never had a problem (other than the one guide who got stuck in traffic and averaged about 90mph getting back to the ship). At least we were on a highway and we were going from Jerez to Cadiz which isn't a long distance.

Still, not something I'd care to repeat!

As Jan says, there are people to prefer a ship's tour and people who don't. We don't need to try to convince each other that our choice is the correct one. To each his own. And many of us do both.

Mura

Arlene

We all the money we have saved that's a lot of shopping. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

And how about all the jewelry with the money saved; and all my wine and maybe even a business class seat!!!:D:D Arlene

Larraine, I know thats true of you..but when you on CC and a stranger asks you to join a tour if you do not have the time or inclination to check it out and you accept..you have no idea what you are getting yourself into..many people dont want to take a chance..

If everyone were like you , me or Mura it would be different..we know what we are doing and who we are using..

Jancruz1

You should be able to figure out in advance if your organizer is difficult or not (as I just noticed that Laraine said as well) just from posts on the roll call. It could be much more difficult to analyze the personalities of the other members of the tour who may not post. And you may well have "better" odds of meeting unpleasant people the more fellow passengers you have. (And NO chance of determining in advance if someone might be difficult if you're on a ship's tour.)

Having said that, while we've encountered some people who could be called "difficult" on both ship's and DIY tours, there haven't been many. (I remember one couple on a Renaissance ship's tour to Delphi that was late returning to the bus at each and every stop.)

The only time we were really late was when the ship's tour bus broke down in the countryside in Chile. We were a good two hours late. We've very occasionally been back on board a little later than the official back on board time, but never worse than 15 minutes. That wasn't planned, but stuff CAN happen.

When I organize a tour I tell the guide we want to be back well in advance of that half hour. We've never had a problem (other than the one guide who got stuck in traffic and averaged about 90mph getting back to the ship). At least we were on a highway and we were going from Jerez to Cadiz which isn't a long distance.

Still, not something I'd care to repeat!

As Jan says, there are people to prefer a ship's tour and people who don't. We don't need to try to convince each other that our choice is the correct one. To each his own. And many of us do both.

Mura

You said it better than I could Mura, Thank you!!

Jancruz1