Oceania Exclusive Excursions

winewheels

And how about all the jewelry with the money saved; and all my wine and maybe even a business class seat!!!:D:D Arlene

Would you believe that MANY people can afford ship tours and all that stuff also..LOL

Jancruz1

We did only 4 tours on our recent (first) Oceania cruise and one of them was an Exclusive. To be honest, there was no difference whatsoever. All 4 tours were small in size (6, 8, 18 and 12 - 12 being the exclusive) and there was no discernable difference in the quality of the guides. The 'non-exclusive' tours were amongst the more unusual/expensive ones which may explain the low numbers as suggested in another post.

Would you believe that MANY people can afford ship tours and all that stuff also..LOL

Jancruz1

I can afford them. I can also afford to cruise on Regent for thousands more but I don't. I can afford to pay Oceania for a pre cruise hotel but I would never do it. I can afford on Owners Suite (and I love the posts by a select few who ALWAYS mention that they sail in an OS to try to impress us -- ROTFL) but I think it's a waste of money. I don't think this is about what people can "afford." It's more about what people are willing to pay -- not what they can afford to pay.. Two different things.

As my wonderful mother said, "Anyone can pay the most for something. Nothing to brag about.'"

Why should I pay more money for something that IMO is half as good? LOL

Again, that is how I see it. Others see it differently. I love researching the private guides and connecting with them to plan the itinerary. I love hooking up with fellow cruisers and forging long-lasting personal relationships. I still email some of the guides from time to time. You cannot get that on a bus with 30 - 50 strangers and that bus is often unable to access so many places that a small van or car can go.

Live and let live. Choices are there. People pay what they are willing to pay.

Edited by pacheco18

There is no "correct" answer to O excursions vs. private excursions. Each has positives and negatives.

In our case, we always use O excursions or do shore visits on our own. The key factors for us were the ease of booking and paying for O excursions, the comfort of knowing O monitors these excursions and seeks our feedback, ease in canceling, and larger vehicles (bus vs. van) provide a smoother ride in many cases. With the exception of one mediocre O excursion, we have been very pleased with them.

There is no "correct" answer to O excursions vs. private excursions. Each has positives and negatives.

In our case, we always use O excursions or do shore visits on our own. The key factors for us were the ease of booking and paying for O excursions, the comfort of knowing O monitors these excursions and seeks our feedback, ease in canceling, and larger vehicles (bus vs. van) provide a smoother ride in many cases. With the exception of one mediocre O excursion, we have been very pleased with them.

You have written my feelings on this better than I could. Most of our trips are around places where we get off and just walk around or take a local Taxie around the local town. If we went to places that involved lots to tour to I would go on Regent because all is included and it is just easy. If I really want to see say the holy land or Paris or Egypt I would take a land vacation. I live in NYC, to say you can see it and get a feel for it in one or two days is bull, private guide or big buss

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

I love private tours and join as many of them as I can. But, the only way to assure yourself a spot is to do the organizing yourself, and that is often impossible in ports with limited resources and several organizers. There are only so many top rated guides, the groups are small by design, and unless you agree immediately to every one posted, often without time for consideration, you will find the tour full and you'll be out of luck.

The World Cruise is the ultimate challenge. With a very active roll call of at least 45 couples, private tours have been arranged in many of the over 80 ports. But, with 5 months to go, most are full. If you were on a cruise, or hospitalized or otherwise unable to respond immediately, you don't have a chance.

I'm booked on several, but nowhere near all I want to see on my only chance to go around the world. What's left are ship excursions. One needs a minimum of 25 to get the 25% discount; many of us -- almost all experienced cruisers who love private excursions -- will have no trouble reaching that minimum.

My point is that exclusively advocating private excursions can be an exercise in frustration.

I love private tours and join as many of them as I can. But, the only way to assure yourself a spot is to do the organizing yourself, and that is often impossible in ports with limited resources and several organizers. There are only so many top rated guides, the groups are small by design, and unless you agree immediately to every one posted, often without time for consideration, you will find the tour full and you'll be out of luck.

The World Cruise is the ultimate challenge. With a very active roll call of at least 45 couples, private tours have been arranged in many of the over 80 ports. But, with 5 months to go, most are full. If you were on a cruise, or hospitalized or otherwise unable to respond immediately, you don't have a chance.

I'm booked on several, but nowhere near all I want to see on my only chance to go around the world. What's left are ship excursions. One needs a minimum of 25 to get the 25% discount; many of us -- almost all experienced cruisers who love private excursions -- will have no trouble reaching that minimum.

My point is that exclusively advocating private excursions can be an exercise in frustration.

The World Cruise might be different but if I were on it I'd be organizing 80 private excursions (assuming I'd want a tour in every port -- not likely). LOL In fact, I'd ask Arlene (tanny18) to go so she could organize 40 of them--- making it much more manageable.

I live in NYC, to say you can see it and get a feel for it in one or two days is bull, private guide or big buss

Then again, not every port of call is like NYC - is it? :D

The World Cruise might be different but if I were on it I'd be organizing 80 private excursions (assuming I'd want a tour in every port -- not likely). LOL In fact, I'd ask Arlene (tanny18) to go so she could organize 40 of them--- making it much more manageable.

And I would in a New York minute. Why should you have all the fun booking private tours? You know how to share!! Arlene

Then again, not every port of call is like NYC - is it? :D

Yes, lots of the ports Oceania visits are like NYC in that you can not really see them or get a feel for them in one day.

Yes, lots of the ports Oceania visits are like NYC in that you can not really see them or get a feel for them in one day.

Not exactly.

There are cities that require more than a day (London, Rome, Barcelona, Istanbul, Hong Kong, Beijing, Singapore, etc come to mind) but these tend to be starting or ending ports - one can arrive early or stay after the cruise.

For 90+% of other ports visited a day is sufficient, IMO.

As always, YMMV.

Edited by Paulchili

Mr. Horndorner----how are you feeling, sir? Hope you're doing terrific and have told Mrs. Horndorner how awesome she is!!

Feisty -- which probably indicares healing. Probably not yet terrific, but give me another month and I'll try kick boxing...maybe, but only if I can play the violin.

I played the violin for years, but never tried kick boxing simultaneously. Does one get to use the bow as a weapon?

Glad you're feeling better! Remember... you've got to be able to blog your adventures so those of us that follow you 6 months later will know what to do!

Good idea, but if Cathi or Pam or Barb Or Sally got to the only decent guide before you, you'd be out of luck like the rest of us.

I truly doubt there is only one decent guide at any port. I think you need to be just a bit more flexible.

Edited by CintiPam

On our first O cruise last year (Marina, Sydney to Papeete) I groused about the overpriced bus rides that are often Oceania's "excursions" and someone suggested going to Cruise Critic. First I'd heard of it.

This cruise (Nautica, So'hampton to Copenhagen) we booked a couple of private tours thanks to Roll Call members here who were enormously helpful. Also took some ship tours, also did some DIY.

Personally, I hate bus rides with 40 of your new best friends, many of whom hold up the parade when they can't make it back to the bus on time, and at each destination you see a parking lot filled with other busses and swarm of folks. Yecch.

That said, one of the best tours this past cruise was a 7.5 hour bus ride. I know, I know. It was Hellesylt to Geiranger, which took us overland through some amazing countryside, our on-bus guide was an Italian woman who was nothing short of great, the excursion was well paced with lots of stops for photos and such, a decent lunch was part of the deal. Best O excursion we've been on.

So I guess it's a matter of picking what's best - for you, for the specific port.

We'll do as few ship tours as possible for reasons others have stated, but sometimes they are a fine choice.

Not all ship tours are bus tours. There are kayak tours, hiking tours, hoseback tours, ATV tours, Jeep tours, walking tours, and in Bonaire, I just booked a bicycling tour.

Yep, you are correct. My (admittedly limited) experience has been bus tours, of which I am not a fan. I know the ships sometimes offer these other tours, albeit at inflated rates, I'll wager. Whatever the excursion, I'm in favor of trying a DIY approach first, then looking around at private operators (Trip Advisor is a good research tool) and then you may wind up figuring a ship tour is best for you. Or not.