Brazilian Visa questions help

joiedevivre

I know that answers are available somewhere, but I am a little confused. We live in Miami. No problem to go. When I go to the website for a visa, do I fill out the form on line and send it electronically or do I download it fill it out and take it in? Second, Proof of income: what do you bring in?

Thx

I know that answers are available somewhere, but I am a little confused. We live in Miami. No problem to go. When I go to the website for a visa, do I fill out the form on line and send it electronically or do I download it fill it out and take it in? Second, Proof of income: what do you bring in?

Thx

Each consulate has different rules so can't really generalize. We did ours in Houston and was a piece of cake. We didn't need proof of income but, would expect your bank account showing deposits or your latest income tax 1040 would show your income. Don't forget to blacken out your SSN. No need for them to have that.

Believe we printed our form out and brought it in but, the instructions were very complete and specific. Be sure to read them completely and bring everything they say to bring. A couple ahead of us didn't have their itinerary to show and were sent packing. We were in and out with our visas and passports in about 15 minutes but, think Houston is the only consulate that doesn't require a second trip to pick up your passport with the visa. You have to have separate US Post Office checks among other things. Can't stress enough to read, then re read and then check off what you are bringing against the instructions. They are extremely picky and anything missing, you would need a new appointment and trip.

In NYC we printed out the form and brought it in. Both times I had a wait of about an hour -- two visits were required, one to submit the forms, passports, etc., and a second to pick up the passports with the visas. We had to do this in the later summertime when there may have been more applicants than there would be at another time of year.

I don't recall needing proof of income -- we did need to prove that we had reservations in place to LEAVE Brazil. As Dave said, the consulates in different jurisdictions seem to have different requirements.

Mura

I also did not have to provide proof of income. Although you are not using a visa service, you may want to call one - explain that you're filling out the form and ask what type of proof they are looking for. I'm sure they will be happy to answer your question.

I second everything rallydave said. Read and create a list of things you need. I did so by going to the web page of a company that charges for getting the visa for you; they had a list of items clearly set out.

You do not need to print out the form. You will fill it out on-line and at the end you'll submit it electronically. You will have to print out and sign a form that corresponds to your form number. Printing it out, though, would provide a backup.

In Kentucky we also did not have to provide proof of income, but I heard from others that you may either take your bank statement or just a credit card statement that shows you have plenty of available credit, enough to pay your hotel, food, and other reasonable bills.

My question would be why this policy only affects people residing in Atlanta, Chicago and Miami? Guess that is a question for another place.

The US is divided into regions, with a different Brazilian consulate or embassy representing each region. You must apply to the consulate or embassy that has jurisdiction over your state. And the rules for each vary, not radically but significantly (e.g., some require proof of income and others don't, some allowed mailed applications and others don't). You must check the rules for your particular state and submit your application to the correct location.

I love all of this wrong information. First do not use a visa service.

The consulate warns it can take much longer going this way. If you use the service they will send it to Miami anyway. Since you are local you can submit the paperwork to them directly. It takes 3 weeks after you drop it at their office. (3rd parties take 45 days). Likely it will take 2 weeks.

1) You need to fill out the forms electronically and submit the apllication electronically and via hard copy

2) Make a copy of your drivers license. You need to prove you are a Florida resident.

3) you need a copy of your airline ticket or cruise itinerary (or both ) that shows your entering and leaving Brazil.

4) passport photo pasted on the application. Pay attention to what is valid photo.

5) a letter addressed to the consulate stating that you need a tourist visa for your cruise. Also include your dates of arrival and departure. Attach the ticket/ cruise itinerary to this

6) payment via Postal Money order. That's all they will take.

7) 3 months of bank statements or credit card statements to show proof of financial self sufficiency.

See details. They are also very prompt and friendly in answering mails.

http://miami.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/tourist.xml

Edited by PaulMCO

I love all of this wrong information. First do not use a visa service.

The consulate warns it can take much longer going this way. If you use the service they will send it to Miami anyway. Since you are local you can submit the paperwork to them directly. It takes 3 weeks after you drop it at their office. (3rd parties take 45 days). Likely it will take 2 weeks.

1) You need to fill out the forms electronically and submit the apllication electronically and via hard copy

2) Make a copy of your drivers license. You need to prove you are a Florida resident.

3) you need a copy of your airline ticket or cruise itinerary (or both ) that shows your entering and leaving Brazil.

4) passport photo pasted on the application. Pay attention to what is valid photo.

5) a letter addressed to the consulate stating that you need a tourist visa for your cruise. Also include your dates of arrival and departure. Attach the ticket/ cruise itinerary to this

6) payment via Postal Money order. That's all they will take.

7) 3 months of bank statements or credit card statements to show proof of financial self sufficiency.

See details. They are also very prompt and friendly in answering mails.

http://miami.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/tourist.xml

With all due respect, not all information on this thread is incorrect. I did understand that the OP was not using a visa service but wanted to answer the question regarding which cities/states require proof of financial self sufficiency.

Suggest everyone interested in obtaining a visa for Brazil read this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1882528&highlight=brazil+visas . Apparently the requirements differ by consulate. So, I would not believe any post on this thread but would do research based on where you live and which consulate (or service) you plan on using. To be honest, we would avoid Brazil if we could (having been there for 2 days previously and having to obtain a visa). We cancelled a transatlantic cruise three times because of the hassle of Rio and the visa issues. This time I am willing to pay anyone that can make the process easier.

Perhaps it is correct to say "never use a visa service" for Florida. In NY, a passenger on our cruise (who lives in Pennsylvania but had to use the NY consulate) DID use a service just because she could not physically come in to the consulate. I like in Brooklyn, so it was no problem. In fact, I'd considered using the visa service even though I could go in -- but ended up deciding I didn't want to pay them for what I could do myself. The cost was significant enough that I didn't mind spending the time.

Paul's suggestions about Florida don't really work for NY. At least as of last August we couldn't send information electronically. WE had to print it out and physically appear with our documentation.

But his comments should indeed work for the OP who indicated being a Florida resident!

Travelcat2, I think PaulMCO made it very clear in his comments that his instructions on what needs to be done applies ONLY to the Miami consulate. Each consulate has different requirements. So, with all due respects, I think you selected the wrong poster to criticize.

The op specifically lives in Miami. Therefore she has to apply using the Miami consulate. I have done this both ways. The recent obstacles in place for 3rd parties makes it more advantageous to make a local trip. Every Brazil consulate has their own procedures.

Why would you not use a visa service? Two years ago, we used A Briggs and it was very easy. We live in western Colorado (not near any consulate) and they expedited the entire process at a very small charge with no headaches. They did have to go through the Houston consulate as that was the closest. Kept us informed every day as to where our passports were. No hassle at all.

Why would you not use a visa service? Two years ago, we used A Briggs and it was very easy. We live in western Colorado (not near any consulate) and they expedited the entire process at a very small charge with no headaches. They did have to go through the Houston consulate as that was the closest. Kept us informed every day as to where our passports were. No hassle at all.

No question that if you don't live near the consulate you use a service.

But if you are someone (as I am) who can easily get to the consulate, I prefer to do it myself. As I said above, I considered paying the extra money but in the end just couldn't bear wasting that $100 or whatever the fee was.

But for people who are a distance away, of course you would use a service.

Living in NYC I am very used to getting our own visas. I do admit that Brazil's was far more complicated than any other country we've visited.

Well, except for Russia and China!

Mura

And the fact that the Miami consulate hates visa services and takes more than 45 days as opposed to driving a few miles and only 14 days. They won't even accept visa applications via FedEx or mail. (They did in the past)

Please read the first post the OP is talking about dealing with the Miami consulate and the questions are what is needed before going to their office.

It seems that if you go to 5 different websites you will receive 5 different answers. Definitely do not believe what I've read - even on supposedly "official" sites. According to this site http://brazilianconsulatemiami.net/tourist-visas/ , you can indeed mail your visa application and receive your visa in 15 days. If you go in person, it would be 5 days.

I'm still trying to find where, on any website, it indicates that the Brazil Embassy in Miami does not like (or "hates") 3rd party services.

While I suppose that visiting the Consulate in person is the preferred method in Miami, I would be interested in learning what the OP finds out when they go there.

It seems that if you go to 5 different websites you will receive 5 different answers. Definitely do not believe what I've read - even on supposedly "official" sites. According to this site http://brazilianconsulatemiami.net/tourist-visas/ , you can indeed mail your visa application and receive your visa in 15 days. If you go in person, it would be 5 days.

I'm still trying to find where, on any website, it indicates that the Brazil Embassy in Miami does not like (or "hates") 3rd party services.

While I suppose that visiting the Consulate in person is the preferred method in Miami, I would be interested in learning what the OP finds out when they go there.

Duuuh -- how about looking at the Embassy site,, Again lots of idiotic wrong information..... And why do you care are as you live in Washington???

• Visa processing time is of 15 business days when applied in person. Visas applied by a third party could take more than 45 days to be ready. Please plan your trip ahead of time.

http://miami.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/visas_general_information.xml

Travelcat2,

If you go to the official Brazilian embassy site as PaulMCO suggested, you will find this statement on the first page of instructions:

Because of the amount of applications we receive daily, please be advised that the Consulate General of Brazil in Miami prioritizes Visa applications made in person.

Not to beat this topic to death, but I have to give some details of our experience. Our cruise sailed on 2/26/13. We applied to our service on 11/12/12 and they made sure that everything that was needed was totally in place before submitting our docs. As our sail date was further out, we were told that those traveling before us would be processed first. Our documents were returned to us on 12/4/12. Just knowing that everything was in place before submission made it very easy.

Plus, altho I grew up a city girl, I would not want to venture out in NYC or Miami to the consulate then find that I needed to return with more info. Also, I don't know why inperson applications would be favored over correctly completed visa service applications.

Perhaps it is correct to say "never use a visa service" for Florida. In NY, a passenger on our cruise (who lives in Pennsylvania but had to use the NY consulate) DID use a service just because she could not physically come in to the consulate. I like in Brooklyn, so it was no problem. In fact, I'd considered using the visa service even though I could go in -- but ended up deciding I didn't want to pay them for what I could do myself. The cost was significant enough that I didn't mind spending the time.

Paul's suggestions about Florida don't really work for NY. At least as of last August we couldn't send information electronically. WE had to print it out and physically appear with our documentation.

But his comments should indeed work for the OP who indicated being a Florida resident!

We went to the NY consulate today. They just started scheduling appointments but it was really first come/first served. It took about an hour of waiting and a minute at the desk. All they really wanted was the generated application with picture and barcode and their money order. They did not ask for proof of residency. I can pick up in 2 weeks. I was quite nervous because when I tried a few months ago they refused to allow my application (World Cup only) and then offered to expedite for $500.

Judy,

Your experience pretty much was ours although we weren't traveling at World Cup Time. (And I am talking about the NYC Consulate.)

I came in, got my number, and waited. I noticed that only two windows were dealing with OUR visas. I don't know what all the other windows handled, but it wasn't us. And indeed I had about an hour wait each time. (And only a minute at the desk.)

Mura

Thx

We had to do this in 2013 for our cruise to South America. We live in northeast Florida so went to the Miami Brazilian consulate. This is what we did. We filled out the form online and sent it electronically (printed out a copy before sending). You are required to visit the Miami consulate in person (as you know) but they did not accept appointments in 2013. You just have to show up between 9:00 AM and 12:00 Noon. At noon they shut the doors and wouldn't allow anyone else in. We got there about 11:00 and were finally called to the desk at 12:25. Once at the desk it took about 5-7 minutes for the entire transaction.

We took a copy of our checking account statement and they asked for it and told me they needed it for the application. They also took the letter I prepared indicating why we wanted to enter Brazil and the dates and also indicated that if we had not had that letter, they would not have continued processing the application. You would have to come back later on another day to complete the process.

They did mail it to our home address rather than requiring us to come back in person to pick up the completed visa. (We provided them an overnight envelope from the US Postal Service.) And, yes, your passport is out of your control for about two weeks--not a comfortable feeling! It really isn't difficult, just tedious and annoying but I do realize this is what the US requires for Brazilian citizens so it is tit-for-tat. And the US does not have nearly as many consulates in Brazil as Brazil has here so it is much more challenging for Brazilians to go to the US. consulates in Brazil. Just stay cool and enjoy the people watching while waiting at the consulate.

• 4 weeks later...

Important Brazilian Visa Information

Dear Guests and Travel Professionals,

Your upcoming voyage includes several ports of call in the country of Brazil. For a vast majority of our guests, including guests holding U.S. or Canadian passports, the Brazilian government requires a Tourist Visa prior to entering the country.

Typically, the process to obtain a Tourist Visa to Brazil takes between 35-45 days depending on the consulate. Due to the fact we are entering peak travel season the Brazilian consulates are receiving a higher volume of applications and delaying the issuance of visas. Unfortunately, this is a process outside of the control of Oceania Cruises.

As a precaution to help overcome processing delays, if you have not already applied for a visa we strongly encourage you to complete and submit an application within the next 48 hours.

If you have pre-purchased your visa through Oceania Cruises, please visit www.cibtvisas.com/oceania for U.S. or www.cibtvisas.ca/oceania for Canada to complete the application and submit the required documentation. The pre-paid visa package is a service processed through CIBT Visas; we cannot be assured that your visa will arrive prior to sail date if your application is not submitted within the next 48 hours.

For guests who opt to obtain a Brazilian Tourist Visa on their own, please note that any guests who arrive at the ship without the Brazilian Visa will not be able to board. Guests are subject to all applicable penalties should they cancel or be denied boarding due to not having the proper documentation required to enter Brazil.

Guests residing outside of the United States or Canada should check with their local consulate for visa requirements.

We thank you for your attention to this matter and should you have any questions in regards to your visa application, please do not hesitate to contact our Call Center.

If you have already procured the required Brazilian Visa, please disregard this friendly reminder.

Warmest Regards,

Oceania Cruises