Shorts in main dining room on Indy

Hi. I know there has been some talk that they now allow shorts in the main dining room on certain nights. Albeit a bit confusing. Can anybody that has been on board recently ( ideally the Indy) confirm this is true or not.

Need to pack for a long cruise next week and don't want to be packing more pairs of trousers than necessary if shorts are allowed! Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi. I know there has been some talk that they now allow shorts in the main dining room on certain nights. Albeit a bit confusing. Can anybody that has been on board recently ( ideally the Indy) confirm this is true or not.

Need to pack for a long cruise next week and don't want to be packing more pairs of trousers than necessary if shorts are allowed! Thanks.

Allowed by whom? The maitre'd at the MDR, Royal Caribbean in general, or the dress code snobs on this forum?

Harvey

Allowed by whom? The maitre'd at the MDR, Royal Caribbean in general, or the dress code snobs on this forum?

Harvey

There is a lot of talk about it on another thread saying RCI have revised the dress codes.....

Unfortunately we haven't had that experience. Turned away from main dining room when my husband was wearing smart dress shorts and a short sleeved collared shirt.

When did this happen?

It was quite a few years ago but hasn't wanted to risk the embarrassment again! [emoji4]

I think the cruise line has lost all desire to enforce dress suggestions.

I have now received an e mail from them strictly stating shorts are not allowed in the main dining room. So that clears that up then.

Thanks for your replies.

Try again, you normally get a different answer the 2nd time;)

I have now received an e mail from them strictly stating shorts are not allowed in the main dining room. So that clears that up then.

Thanks for your replies.

I have admittedly worn shorts in the dining room. I wasn't planning to eat there and had just gotten back on the ship from a day out and had thrown on a pair of nice (but very short) linen shorts and a nice blouse and was headed to the windjammer when my group intercepted me and convinced me to join them in the MDR. I was prepared to be turned away and go to the windjammer as planned, but they let me right in without a second glance. I was secretly bummed because I didn't want to do the 2 hour dinner :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I took this picture off of You Tube on March 14th. In the video, which is a Royal Caribbean sponsored travel blog, they specifically say that shorts are allowed in the main dining room. As you can see in the comments, they confirmed it again. We have always dressed to the stated dress code, but we have some people on our upcoming cruise who will be very happy to wear shorts.

2600fdbd-6bfd-402d-878d-92dcc4c4da04_zpseehr9xyv.jpg

Thanks for your replies.

Just got of the Independence, and there were shorts in the MDR on every night, including formal. Not just a couple people.. many many people.

From the website:

• Casual: You’re on vacation – relax! Jeans, polos, sundresses and blouses are all the right amount of laid back. Please keep swimwear to the Pool Deck. Shorts are welcomed for breakfast and lunch.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334 ;)

From the website:

• Casual: You’re on vacation – relax! Jeans, polos, sundresses and blouses are all the right amount of laid back. Please keep swimwear to the Pool Deck. Shorts are welcomed for breakfast and lunch.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334 ;)

BTW, my husband wears classic dark jeans, but he looks better and well dressed in classic shorts (not the beach or sport ones) than much people in suits! :D I believe that they refer to beach shorts when they say that are not allowed ;)