Value of Mainstream Lines Suites

Oak Hill Cruisers

As you can tell from our signature, we sail mostly mainstream lines like RCI, Celebrity (barely premium), Carnival, NCL & Princess.

When looking at the suites on these ships and the prices they command, we wonder if these PAX (especially repeat suite PAX) should consider moving permanently to the luxury lines. Why sully yourself with us knuckle-dragging interior stateroom 'troglodytes' and put up with below par MDR food (barely better than hotel banquet fare), service and the lack of exotic itineraries? ;-)

We are mulling over moving up to luxury sometime soon, but we wouldn't consider 'sampling' luxury on the mainstream lines to see if it's a good fit for us. It would have to be 'all in' for us.

JMO

I would never consider an area like the Haven or whatever they call the upper class section on the main stream lines

When you leave that area you are still on a big ship

we prefer smaller ships under 1500 pax

some people love the main stream special class areas but it is not for us

to each his own

you have to do what works best for you

Edited by LHT28

As you can tell from our signature, we sail mostly mainstream lines like RCI, Celebrity (barely premium), Carnival, NCL & Princess.

When looking at the suites on these ships and the prices they command, we wonder if these PAX (especially repeat suite PAX) should consider moving permanently to the luxury lines. Why sully yourself with us knuckle-dragging interior stateroom 'troglodytes' and put up with below par MDR food (barely better than hotel banquet fare), service and the lack of exotic itineraries? ;-)

We are mulling over moving up to luxury sometime soon, but we wouldn't consider 'sampling' luxury on the mainstream lines to see if it's a good fit for us. It would have to be 'all in' for us.

Unless you need full time big entertainment, try Luxury Lite such as Oceania or Azamara.

Mainstream is all the same once you set foot ot of your cabin door.

I think you're absolutely right -- there's great value for many people on the luxury lines if you want better food, service, and facilities (quality of the furnishings, decor, etc.) On a mainstream line, once you leave your cabin -- as nice as it might be -- you'll still be on a mainstream line. On a luxury line, once you leave your cabin -- even if it's a small one -- you still enjoy the higher quality of amenities and service. Crystal is the only luxury line I've sailed, but there I can also attest to another benefit: a calm and relaxing atmosphere. Virtually no announcements (except captain's updates), no crew trying to get you involved in activities, and no attempts to sell you anything. Also, once you take into account the costs of extras (food, drinks, activities, etc), you might find the price of an (almost) all-inclusive luxury line to be less of an increase than you might expect.

Sort of like the truism of real estate: for the best value, buy a smaller house in the best neighbourhood you can afford, rather than a larger house in a lesser neighbourhood.

Actually, due to itinerary and timing, last Oct and Nov. we did a B2B with Celebrity for OZ and NZ in a suite. The butler service was some of the best we have had, specialty restaurants, Luminae, Micheal's Club, priority tendering,etc. all made for a very enjoyable experience. The entertainment was also very good on most evenings we decided to partake.

We prefer Oceania, which is luxury lite and will travel in an OS this Oct. for S. America for almost 30 days. For longer cruises, we tend to prefer suites for space on both large and small ships.

We actually have an Asia cruise booked with Celebrity for April 2018 in their largest PH suite. Due to our very nice Suite experience on Celebrity, we have no issue trying it again. Very large suite, free internet, Premium beverage package, free specialty restaurants, free gratuities, and OBC. Works for me :)

Actually, due to itinerary and timing, last Oct and Nov. we did a B2B with Celebrity for OZ and NZ in a suite. The butler service was some of the best we have had, specialty restaurants, Luminae, Micheal's Club, priority tendering,etc. all made for a very enjoyable experience. The entertainment was also very good on most evenings we decided to partake.

We prefer Oceania, which is luxury lite and will travel in an OS this Oct. for S. America for almost 30 days. For longer cruises, we tend to prefer suites for space on both large and small ships.

We actually have an Asia cruise booked with Celebrity for April 2018 in their largest PH suite. Due to our very nice Suite experience on Celebrity, we have no issue trying it again. Very large suite, free internet, Premium beverage package, free specialty restaurants, free gratuities, and OBC. Works for me :)

Thanks for your comments about Celebrity. We too always book OS on Oceania but due to our travel dates have booked 28 days on Celebrity and we hope our experience is as good as yours was. The suite package leaves nothing to pay for except extra tips for the butler and other great, we hope, service.

Thanks for your comments about Celebrity. We too always book OS on Oceania but due to our travel dates have booked 28 days on Celebrity and we hope our experience is as good as yours was. The suite package leaves nothing to pay for except extra tips for the butler and other great, we hope, service.

One thing I want to mention: When we did the B2B, our 1st leg included Fiji and surrounding islands. We had been to French Polynesia prior and loved it on PG. We did not feel these areas were as pretty. The major negative on that portion of the trip was the demographic of the passengers. It was similar to a Caribbean cruise for US Spring break except it was Aussie Spring break. We were not pleased. The 2nd leg was NZ and the demographic drastically changed and was much more similar to what you would find on O and we enjoyed it.

It was just a word of warning because cruise location can make a real difference and we would never take a Caribbean cruise on a large ship due to this factor. We like Seadream for the Caribbean. Lesson learned.

• 1 month later...

Some mainstream cruisers may be bored out of their minds on a luxury cruise line (even luxury lite like Oceania). There is something to be said for the atmosphere of mainstream cruise lines.

On luxury cruise lines (not Oceania), there is a strict dress code. Some dress codes are "formal" while others are "Elegant Casual" (meaning absolutely no jeans, t-shirts, shorts or tennis shoes). Yes - most if not everything is included (depending upon the cruise line) but the shows and activities onboard cannot compare to what is offered on mainstream. There is generally one small "Boutique" and no additional shopping opportunities.

If you are happy sitting on your balcony or in a lounge with a drink -- talking to other passengers and relaxing, luxury cruising is the way to go. However, the most exciting activity on most luxury cruise lines is Trivia. Of course, there are great lectures and a few "games" but not much else.

Also, the average age is 50+ and children are "welcome" by the cruise line but not so much by the guests (unless it is summer in the U.S. or a school holiday). There is absolutely nothing for children to do while school is in session.

While we love luxury cruising, it definitely is not for everyone. I would try Azamara or Oceania before diving into the luxury arena. JMHO.

Edited by Travelcat2

Some mainstream cruisers may be bored out of their minds on a luxury cruise line (even luxury lite like Oceania). There is something to be said for the atmosphere of mainstream cruise lines.

On luxury cruise lines (not Oceania), there is a strict dress code. Some dress codes are "formal" while others are "Elegant Casual" (meaning absolutely no jeans, t-shirts, shorts or tennis shoes). Yes - most if not everything is included (depending upon the cruise line) but the shows and activities onboard cannot compare to what is offered on mainstream. There is generally one small "Boutique" and no additional shopping opportunities.

If you are happy sitting on your balcony or in a lounge with a drink -- talking to other passengers and relaxing, luxury cruising is the way to go. However, the most exciting activity on most luxury cruise lines is Trivia. Of course, there are great lectures and a few "games" but not much else.

Also, the average age is 50+ and children are "welcome" by the cruise line but not so much by the guests (unless it is summer in the U.S. or a school holiday). There is absolutely nothing for children to do while school is in session.

While we love luxury cruising, it definitely is not for everyone. I would try Azamara or Oceania before diving into the luxury arena. JMHO.

Wow, how very wrong! The most exciting thing is trivia? Well, maybe to you, but I'm more excited by the movies, lectures, and classes. Especially the movies (and popcorn). Where did you get the idea that jeans, shorts, and tennis shoes aren't allowed on luxury ships? Even Crystal, with probably the strongest dress code, allows all of those things. And t-shirts, capris, sandals, and jogging pants. Not everywhere or all the time, but I saw most passengers in very casual attire.

I imagine you're right about there being nothing to do for children, though I suppose it depends on the children ;) My last Crystal cruise had just 2 children on board; one was taking daily iPad movie classes, and I think I saw the other with the knitting group one day.....admittedly not typical children.

I think that's because discussions of dress codes typically refer only to evening wear. It's assumed daytime wear is casual.

But jeans and T-shirts are allowed in the evening most nights, at least on Crystal. So are tennis shoes. No shorts or baseball caps after 6 PM, that's true, and they suggest better, but except on black-tie optional nights jeans are lallowed. And I personally have worn T-shirts on those evenings as well

I think Travelcat2 meant no jeans in the evening, not during the day.

You're right -- forgot one important sentence..... "after 6:00 p.m."

In terms of things to do, I can see a movie and have popcorn at home -- it just isn't my thing. Lectures are fine - not sure what classes calliopecruiser is referring to - perhaps food demonstrations? Regent's new ship (being Christened next week) will have actual classes in their Culinary Kitchen. We used to play Trivia but it became too crowded and some passengers were so competitive (think angry and argumentative) that we stopped going. After all, it is suppose to be fun. There are little games going on throughout the ship on a sea day but, IMO, mainstream cruise lines offer dramatically more to do. Most people that I know sail on luxury and luxury lite (Oceania and Azamara) cruise lines because they want a quiet, laid-back atmosphere. No wet t-shirt contests, no loud music at the pool (or anywhere else). My favorite activity is "Liar's Club" - usually held late at night in one of the lounges.

P.S. Jeans, shorts, t-shirts and tennis shoes are not allowed anywhere on the ship (except your suite) after 6:00 p.m. (this is in writing and appears in Regent's daily paper, Passages, as a reminder).

Edited by Travelcat2

In terms of things to do, I can see a movie and have popcorn at home -- it just isn't my thing. Lectures are fine - not sure what classes calliopecruiser is referring to - perhaps food demonstrations? Regent's new ship (being Christened next week) will have actual classes in their Culinary Kitchen. We used to play Trivia but it became too crowded and some passengers were so competitive (think angry and argumentative) that we stopped going. After all, it is suppose to be fun. There are little games going on throughout the ship on a sea day but, IMO, mainstream cruise lines offer dramatically more to do. Most people that I know sail on luxury and luxury lite (Oceania and Azamara) cruise lines because they want a quiet, laid-back atmosphere. No wet t-shirt contests, no loud music at the pool (or anywhere else). My favorite activity is "Liar's Club" - usually held late at night in one of the lounges.

P.S. Jeans, shorts, t-shirts and tennis shoes are not allowed anywhere on the ship (except your suite) after 6:00 p.m. (this is in writing and appears in Regent's daily paper, Passages, as a reminder).

On Crystal there are all kinds of classes, depending on the itinerary, computer and technology related, art, foreign languages, bridge, golf, yoga and other health and fitness, etc. There are more classes than hours in the day!

Patty

Crystal does not allow shorts or ball caps after 6 pm; no mention of jeans. As for "t-shirts", that's a pretty wide definition; I've even worn t-shirts in the MDR, but that's using the basic definition of a t-shirt as a pull-on, collar-less shirt.