Cunard World Cruise 2016 information

Austcruiser84

da*m., got really excited about the Victoria half world Sydney to Southampton with all the different ports...finally something to get excited about with Cunard...and then realised that Ascension Island and Cape Verde are just sailbys,

After looking at the islands on Utube, there is little to see by sailing passed as opposed to being on land amongst the wildlife so they will be a non start. They are not like Easter Island or Pitcairn which we did this year and even the sail passed was something and there was plenty to see.

Wondering what the point is for Cunard to add in an Island that they pass anyway on the way up the coast, is it just that they can have the name on the Itin and have it look more impressive? A bit disappointing after all....

Just think what they could save if they were all sail bys! 120 days at sea with viewings every 4th day. :eek:

da*m., got really excited about the Victoria half world Sydney to Southampton with all the different ports...finally something to get excited about with Cunard...and then realised that Ascension Island and Cape Verde are just sailbys,

After looking at the islands on Utube, there is little to see by sailing passed as opposed to being on land amongst the wildlife so they will be a non start. They are not like Easter Island or Pitcairn which we did this year and even the sail passed was something and there was plenty to see.

Wondering what the point is for Cunard to add in an Island that they pass anyway on the way up the coast, is it just that they can have the name on the Itin and have it look more impressive? A bit disappointing after all....

Cape Verde are just sailbys

according to my info QV is visiting St Vincent Cape Verde on 3rd May as a maiden call. she is also doing St Helena as a sailby

according to my info QV is visiting St Vincent Cape Verde on 3rd May as a maiden call. she is also doing St Helena as a sailby

sorry...got them mixed up....i was utubing all three....st helena i was particularly interested in because of the napoleonic history....of course all ascension island is famous for a the moment is the high number of shark attacks per head of population and that they can't swim at any of the beaches. Cape Verde from the water just looks like a reasonably non descript semi tropical island, we have just about 10 days at sea from Walvis Bay, although I like my sea days...ten could be pushing it....

They got me all excited then left me crushed and desolute...once again...:)

Edited by roscoe39

Just think what they could save if they were all sail bys! 120 days at sea with viewings every 4th day. :eek:

or better yet...they could leave us tied to dock in southampton for 120 days, think of the fuel they would save....

Edited by roscoe39

Shhhhsss!! They will hear you and get ideas.:eek::D:D

actually...come to think of it...we are all pretty expensive to Cunard, especially some of us who eat at the buffet, the free afternoon tea, the cocktail parties, and the cost of washing all those sheets.... Maybe in future, we could just send those nice people at Cunard a cheque for our trip and just stay home, The bean counters would love it.

Maybe they could have an empty ship for the duration, docked in some cheap backwater somewhere, they could even send all the staff and crew home and lay the ships up...oh wait..thats what happened to the QE2....

I agree with this statement. However having done two QM2 world Cruises and the one QE this year, I know for a fact most world cruiser don't spent much money on board. Some people don't spent any money at all! One lady I know does the WC each year and never spends anything on-board other their OB spend.

She wouldn't even buy a bottle of nail polish remover, said no not paying these prices which made me laugh. I gave her mine :)

This is my impression too. I have only done segments of the WC but it was striking to me how empty the bars and entertainment venues were at night. There is absolutely no comparison to TA's and the shorter cruises and 'booze cruises'. I felt like a complete alcoholic ordering wine at dinner (the only one on a large table) and it seemed common for people to sit in the bars prior to dinner asking for a glass of water! What's more, on the last trip I did (2012), on my table of 8 only one other got off the ship at all prior to getting back to Europe and no one did any of the organised tours. That may have been unusual for full WC'ers who want to tour, but a lot of the segments are sold at cut price to people who have no interest other than sunbathing on the decks, and my understanding is that full WC'ers are never more than about 1/4 of ship capacity.

I cannot afford a World cruise, and cannot fly the hours required to do segment. I do Transatlantics , usually 2-3 a year.

Every day I can be found in Sir Samuels in the morning, enjoying a civilized pot of tea, meeting people. Every evening at 5.15 approx. dressed for dinner I go to the Chart room, for my pre dinner drinks and to listen to harpist, string quartet or pianist.

However more and more I have seen passengers in there occupying the tables wearing "scruffy clothes" drinking "free water" using their Laptops, "texting" or whatever they do while glued to their screen.

They are not there for the "cocktail hour" or the music. It is just somewhere to use their electronic toys. The result of Cunard dumbing down the whole Cunard experience?

It also seems that no matter which port the ship is in, the only activity many passengers are interested in is "where can I get free WIFI" followed by "Do I really have to buy a cup of coffee in order to get free WIFI".

Would I pay another couple of hundred dollars to enjoy the first class cuisine, and the service that was available on Cunard just a couple of years ago, my answer would be yes.

If someone wants a "cheap short break" I wish they would go on Carnival or Norwegian.

A dealer selling Rolls Royce cars, does not offer second hand junk yard Harleys side by side on the same lot . There is nothing wrong with Harleys, but Rolls Royce cars and Harley do not go together , they appeal to different people .

Every evening at 5.15 approx. dressed for dinner I go to the Chart room, for my pre dinner drinks and to listen to harpist, string quartet or pianist. However more and more I have seen passengers in there occupying the tables wearing "scruffy clothes" drinking "free water" using their Laptops, "texting" or whatever they do while glued to their screen.
Are you suggesting they should stop enjoying soon as you appear. Stop relaxing sit upright behave only as you wish. Do they have to get permission if they want look at their own photos on their own phone tablet. Or to text family friends back home. As long as electronic toys make no noise they not disturbing you. It odd that you appear to feel you should set standard by which other people should behave that they should enjoy themselves only in same way as you. Are you the queen.
They are not there for the "cocktail hour" or the music. It is just somewhere to use their electronic toys. The result of Cunard dumbing down the whole Cunard experience?

Could they be listening to the music as well. The world has changed and electronic toys have nothing to do with class or how much money you have and nothing do with Cunard. Everyone has phone or tablet it seem even me as I write this on a phone. Just because you not does not mean that everyone has to do same as you. What about choice. It is their holiday as well not just yours. And Cunard did not invent iphone or tablet so not blame Cunard for all as you always do. Cunard not to blame for everything that happens everything people do.

It also seems that no matter which port the ship is in, the only activity many passengers are interested in is "where can I get free WIFI" followed by "Do I really have to buy a cup of coffee in order to get free WIFI".

As you never ashore you not know what is asked. You once again surmising and guessing based on your thoughts and what you suppose happen. We almost your age but understand what interests us does not always interest young people. Must all passengers only do as old passengers want as you appear suggest. Must they all behave in manner according to old person standards. Should they seek out get permission before enjoying their cruise their way that theyve paid money to enjoy. We cannot believe that this time you being serious and really meant post in fun. We hope.

Cheers.

Edited by sfb

Slower speeds in the interest of fuel economy means that it takes more time to get from point A to point B, meanwhile a captive audience spend more money on board.

Exactly. You and Capnpugwash are spot-on as usual.

When I was on QE2's full world cruise 2007, we made several long runs in fewer days than it takes the ships today, including, sadly, Queen Mary which has the speed to do it.

Although I enjoy sea days, the world cruises have become "oceans of the world cruises" with so many days at sea.

Are you suggesting they should stop enjoying soon as you appear. . Are you the queen.

oops time to don the fire retardant long johns and the WW1 helmet again...

play nicely people.....

Edited by roscoe39

Does anyone know how far QM2 can travel on one fill up?? I was reading about a 10 day period between ports on one posting and I thought wow this ship has some gas tank. :confused:
Hi DDBINK1

The old Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth... did six feet to the gallon, so it was said :eek: .

The France could steam Le Harve to New York and back without refueling.

The QM2's tanks hold:

Heavy Fuel Oil 1,412,977 US gallons (5,348.7 cubic metres)

Marine Gas Oil 966,553 US gallons (3,658.8 cubic metres)

The diesel engines consume 3.1 tonnes/hour

The gas turbines consume 6.0 tonnes/hour

(both at full load)

Daily consumption at 29 knots (I wish) is approx 261 tonnes of HFO and 237 tonnes of MGO

(all Cunard's figures, any mistakes aren't mine! ;))

Not quite what you wanted, sorry, but that's all I know at present, I'll keep looking :)

All best wishes,

Edited by pepperrn

SFB

No I am not the Queen, however there are some activities that are private and some are public.

The activities of a laptop, tablet, I Pod , photos of family etc are IMHO private, and private activities take place in the privacy of the cabin.

A bar , a place of entertainment is for public activities.

The Chart Room in a bar lounge, for drinking, listening to the entertainers, maybe a lecture, for meeting with friends .

Suppose I decide to cut my toe nails in there ?

After all I will not be disturbing anyone ,- and if the String quartet was playing well he** I can still listen to the music!

My comment was in support of another posting re the fact that it is becoming increasingly obvious that some passengers (not all) are behaving in a less than courteous manner , and misusing various spaces.

SFB

No I am not the Queen, however there are some activities that are private and some are public.

The activities of a laptop, tablet, I Pod , photos of family etc are IMHO private, and private activities take place in the privacy of the cabin.

The Chart Room in a bar lounge, for drinking, listening to the entertainers, maybe a lecture, for meeting with friends .

After all I will not be disturbing anyone ,- and if the String quartet was playing well he** I can still listen to the music!

My comment was in support of another posting re the fact that it is becoming increasingly obvious that some passengers (not all) are behaving in a less than courteous manner , and misusing various spaces.

Your answers and post is the best I have read in a while.

I agree, why have WiFi in public areas?? The routers or what ever they are, are a minimal expense. Spread it out all over the ship. That way, having a nice time in a lounge is not part of a computer competition.

Hi DDBINK1

The old Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth... did six feet to the gallon, so it was said :eek: .

The France could steam Le Harve to New York and back without refueling.

The QM2's tanks hold:

Heavy Fuel Oil 1,412,977 US gallons (5,348.7 cubic metres)

Marine Gas Oil 966,553 US gallons (3,658.8 cubic metres)

The diesel engines consume 3.1 tonnes/hour

The gas turbines consume 6.0 tonnes/hour

(both at full load)

Daily consumption at 29 knots (I wish) is approx 261 tonnes of HFO and 237 tonnes of MGO

(all Cunard's figures, any mistakes aren't mine! ;))

Not quite what you wanted, sorry, but that's all I know at present, I'll keep looking :)

All best wishes,

Not being a great math man, how far can that translate into the travel on the ship??

I am betting quite a distance. and

Thank you for the information.

SFB

Am I allowed a book in the public rooms on-board and the Chart Room in particular?

Do I need your permission to do the crossword? Complete a Sudoku?

I don't need wi fi in the public rooms very often but I do need technology. I relax by reading a book, doing a crossword or a word game, on my i pad.

You wouldn't offend me sitting there with your drink and chattering and I don't see how I can offend you, sitting there in silence, with my drink, and reading or completing the crossword.

I'm sorry if 21st century technology offends you but the world is moving on at a fast pace.

As for cutting your toenails in public, gross. A word I don't think can be applied to me, sitting quietly, reading.

Is there a suggestion that people should not be allowed to read, look at their tablet or phone in the chart room and public spaces? And if doing so is being equated to cutting ones toenails? Surely I've got this wrong. I hope I've got this wrong.

No. I've just re read this. Good grief.

Edited by Pushka

Not wishing to appear cynical, it is cheaper for the ships to be at sea than in port, plus passengers will spend more on the ship if they aren't in the port. Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Well the ship doesn't use much fuel while she is tied up, also they can't sell any tours when at sea. But port charges are paid when in port.

How that equates to the fuel use and extra sales at sea is only guesswork.

David.

I've been to both. Cape Verde you would not be missing much either way, but a saiby of St Helena is pointless. Like saying you all really want to go ashore but you can't so we will make it worse by reminding you of what you're missing.

I think the main problem is the tendering. Not the easiest port to land on.

David.

There's nowt so queer as folk. One of my pleasures is to take my tablet to breakfast and read the Times over my bowl of fruit and cereal. One of the marvels of technology.

So I have no objection to passengers using phones, tablets notebooks in bars, lounges etc. But I can still get wound up when phone conversations are made for all to hear. And over loud conversations generally. And constant flash flash flash in the theatre. But sitting quietly in a bar or lounge reading an online paper or these boards?

I intend to enforce some quite stringent rules when I take delivery of my new yatch, till then I'll try to live in harmony with my fellow passengers.

David.

Please note I did mention that

a/ Chart Room is a BAR, where presumably a passenger goes to sit and enjoy a drink.

b/ Time of day, ie when then is entertainment in there for those enjoying the PRE DINNER drink time. That is the reason Cunard offer entertainment in there.

If I go in there to have a glass of wine before going into dinner, (5-6p.m) and cannot even get a seat because the chairs/tables are filled with casually dressed passengers, using lap tops to catch up on "office work", joke e mails, pictures/conversations of "doggy " missing them, family BBQ "back home" . yes I get annoyed.

These people have cabins, why not use them? The rest of the world should not have to put their lives on hold in order that an addict can use their lap top, phone, I pod or whatever, whenever and wherever they please.

It is not a question of being in the 21st century or the back in the "dark ages" when people actually did live without being "hooked up".

It is called being sensitive to the rights of others. doing that which is right for the time of day and the place

Of course no one would cut their toe nails in the Chart Room, but on the other hand ,------ what are the excuses given by the "techniks" ? Oh yes - it is quiet, it does not disturb others, so why not, if that is what I wish to do??????

What right has some "old f***" to complain just because she wants to come in , sit down, have a glass of wine and listen to four old violins scratching away or a harpist?

She says "THAT is the object of Cunard having a Chart Room" ?

Too bad, , if I want to do what I want, when I want, then the rest of the passengers can just go to and scratch themselves, (perhaps they should not be on board anyway, they are "past it". )

That your opinion. Other people hold different view. Who decides who right and who wrong. Are you right or are others right?

Are there Cunard rules about when and where electronic equipment can be used other than theatres? We agree it bad manners to use such during dinner and we hate people who hold public telephone conversation. But as others have said above reading a book? Viewing cruisecritic? Checking on health of loved ones at home via email?

The Chart Room in a bar lounge, for drinking, listening to the entertainers, maybe a lecture, for meeting with friends
When friends meet what do they do. Hold conversation. Talk. Share news of the day. Show photo of shore excursions on tablet with friends. Catch up on things. Tell latest news from home. In a concert none should speak or play with phone or computer. In public bar or lounge think hotel on land or good pub the music there as accompaniment to other activities such as having a drink. Talking quietly. Reading. Silent use of a tablet etc. In other words do as person pleases with no overly disturbing other. As long as not rude noisy swearing indecent and with respect for other people around nothing wrong. May not be your way of doing things but is others.

Cheers.

What about those of us that use a tablet to read? All my books are on my iPad. Is that allowed? Should books be banned from public rooms too?
Some would have it that way. Books are private only read in library or cabin no where else.

Cheers.