How crowded are R class ship laundry rooms?

edgee

There are a lot of things people do on cruises that I do not understand but it is their money so they can do as they like

I admit it. It makes little sense to spend what we do on a cruise and then take the time and effort away from our vacation to do your own laundry on the ship. I guess it is the irritating look at the price list of ship's laundry when you see that each pair of socks can cost over a dollar ..shirts 4 or 5 dollars...etc. It becomes tempting to save that money since these items can be washed for either no cost or for a few pain in the neck to purchase tokens/quarters, depending on the cruise line.

A commercial of a few years back had a wealthy man in a limo doing something that indicated frugality. A young man expressed surprise that “a man like you” would be so thrifty. “How do you think a man like me got to be a man like me?” he responds.

I waited more then 1/2 of my 10 day cruise for the $20 laundry bag I read about on this board and sadly in never appeared...I said ok I'll just pay and get a few items cleaned...then I saw the prices...$1.75 for a pair of panties...off to the laundromat I went...great experience, chatted with the guy in charge of the laundry room who was very helpful...I started laundry, back to room to shower for dinner and then back to put them in dryer where I then relaxed with a predinner drink till they were dry:)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hopefully no Dragon Ladies will be on your cruise or as on my last cruise Dragon Men. Fortunately I did not run into them, but certainly heard about the Dragon Men. I did run into the Dragon Ladies on another cruise and managed to get my laundry out of the dryer so that they could use it. Funny now, wasn't so funny at the time.:D

The Dragon people in the laundry rooms are horrible. What happens to people when they enter the laundry room? So rude! We are used to having our laundry done for us on Regent and Silversea but did our own laundry a couple of times on the Riviera. Since we have visited most of the ports on our last itinerary (and our next itinerary as well), we used the laundry room when most people were ashore. It's funny how we'll pay thousands of dollars to cruise in top suites but won't pay over the top prices for laundry.

They do (sometimes) offer and deal - $20 for 20 pieces of laundry. No telling when this is available but it is a good deal when it is offered.

Did that service, loved it. But also did our own laundry. Not an issue. Had to wait only once on a 14day cruise

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Want to start a riot? Take out one of the drinking areas or upcharge restaurants that make ordinary folks feel superior and convert it into an upscale Laundromat! :D CHEERS

I'm still trying to figure out why people feel superior in a specialty restaurant or lounge? Even though we are in a Vista suite on our November cruise, we'll probably do our own laundry when people are ashore. It isn't that big of a deal -- after all, I do it at home. In terms of taking time away from our vacation, I agree to a point. If we were not visiting ports that we've been to before, it would be more of an issue. On our upcoming Caribbean cruise the suite and the ship are our destination

I'm still trying to figure out why people feel superior in a specialty restaurant or lounge? Even though we are in a Vista suite on our November cruise, we'll probably do our own laundry when people are ashore. It isn't that big of a deal -- after all, I do it at home. In terms of taking time away from our vacation, I agree to a point. If we were not visiting ports that we've been to before, it would be more of an issue. On our upcoming Caribbean cruise the suite and the ship are our destination

I'm a firm believer that laundry is the reason Ketchikan is always on an Alaskan cruise :p

Offered on longer cruises only

I think more than 14 days

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Not always. Our last two on Marina were 10 day cruises and we got that offer. We are taking our first R class cruise next year and we ALWAYS do at least a round or two of laundry so I'm loving the advice. We always spend time on land before or after and love packing super light.

I'll echo the sentiment that laundry room can be very convivial or quite contrite and you just never know. I approach it by setting my phone alarm CLEARLY in front of everyone to let them know I'll be back 5 min before my stuff is done. I've had dryers taken out from under me as well as my stuff thrown (thankfully) into a basket. The real problem is that it takes about 25 min to wash and about 50 to dry. Creates an odd "flow"...

My sentiments exactly. I haven't been around enough (yet) to start duplicating ports but I'm getting close. I find that doing one or two nights at the terrace for dinner is not only "quiet time" for us to have a leisurely dinner for just the two of us (we tend to make lots of "onboard" friends and rarely eat dinner alone after day 1). I've found around 7pm excusing myself from the app or salad course I can drop my stuff in the dryer and be back in 5 to 10 mins. Also don't be ashamed to look on other floors for a machine. Works for us. First world problems for sure. :)

My sentiments exactly. I haven't been around enough (yet) to start duplicating ports but I'm getting close. I find that doing one or two nights at the terrace for dinner is not only "quiet time" for us to have a leisurely dinner for just the two of us (we tend to make lots of "onboard" friends and rarely eat dinner alone after day 1). I've found around 7pm excusing myself from the app or salad course I can drop my stuff in the dryer and be back in 5 to 10 mins. Also don't be ashamed to look on other floors for a machine. Works for us. First world problems for sure. :)

Unfortunately, as has been said, there's only one Laundry on the R ships, unlike nearly one per deck on the O ships.......one is not enough!

Depends on the time of day

we have only waited once for a machine

DH decided to get there at 7:30am when it opened ..there was already a line up ;)

I got there at 7:15am for the 7:30am opening and was 4th in line for 4 machines. A guy who got there a few minutes later, still before opening, was already second shift.

On a port day though I got a machine right away at 7:30am.

We've also used ship's laundry. No problem. Well worth it IMO.

Sad to say, I'd think long and hard about washing in cold water in a communal machine, these days :cool:

Better flabby elastic than God knows what! :eek:

Good point. I think that on our last cruise, they closed the laundry room during a gastro outbreak. They offered that special laundry deal.

Sending out socks to be washed? No way!! There are so many choices for quick drying socks, both athletic and dress. Same for both men and women unidies. We've spent many weeks on ships and found that washing our "delicates" in a dish washing basin which we pack (lightweight, takes up little space in luggage, and useful to protect fragile stuff or corral loose articles) is very easy to do. We usually do both pre and post- cruise trips so we send out our clothes once on board, then relax while our self-done stuff dries in our cabin, and disembark with clean clothes..........easy peasy and doesn't break the budget either.

We always choose a cabin close to the laundry room. One of us tosses it into the machine, the other picks it up. This is cheap, convenient, and really takes no more time than listing all the items you have to be sent out.

Sometimes there is even a bonus. Last year we found a pair of ladies panties in our dryer, size XXXXXXXXXL.

• 1 month later...
If you do your laundry on a port day or during meal times on the R ships you will not have any problem.

Sea days can be a zoo!;)

Even on sea days, it is absolutely empty at noon. We usually slept late, ate breakfast late, and we weren't hungry for lunch until 1 or 2. So noon was perfect for doing laundry any day.

Even on sea days, it is absolutely empty at noon. We usually slept late, ate breakfast late, and we weren't hungry for lunch until 1 or 2. So noon was perfect for doing laundry any day.

Hi: We have traveled on Oceania for 4 cruises and I find trying first thing in the morning, ( before breakfast). I'm an early riser, or about 4:30 in the afternoon was the best time to visit the laundry. Having Tokens before hand really speeds up getting the laundry done. I always purchase enough for 4 washes & dryers at a time. We use a popup laundry cube to store our clothes until laundry time.

We have NEVER had any Dragon Ladies to deal with. Upon occasion if my clothes are dry, and still time on dryer I invite someone to use the time. others do the same for me.

We also have never encountered the dragon ladies, but have seen some posts -- fortunately not many -- about them. There is always the risk that some difficult people will be on board ... just hope they are on someone else's cruise, I guess.

In fact, MY experience has been that the people I have encountered in the laundry room are always pleasant and helpful.

Mura