What are your top 3 things to do or see in Bermuda for a first timer

BethieL

What 3 things are a must

1. Horseshoe Bay Beach (turn left when you get to the beach and walk until you find a place all to yourself)

2. Anything on the water. (Jet ski, rent a boat, catamaran tour)

3. Foot tour through St. George.

It was hard to narrow it down to 3!

Agree with two of the three suggestions listed above.

1. Horseshoe Bay and DEFINITELY walk away from the beach and find your little piece of heaven.

2. Tour around St. George. There is so much history and architectural beauty there. With their new HOHO bus, getting around is much easier and not so physically taxing.

3. The Crystal Caves. I have been all over the Caribbean and there is nothing like it anywhere.

You can do watersports on almost any cruise, but you can't see the Crystal Caves anywhere else.

3. The Crystal Caves. I have been all over the Caribbean and there is nothing like it anywhere.

You can do watersports on almost any cruise, but you can't see the Crystal Caves anywhere else.

I agree with the first two. St.George, and Horseshoe or other South Shore beaches.

As for you number three suggestion I don't agree. It would be on my list but not number three. Of course you can only see the Crystal Caves in Bermuda.Those two caves are only there (don't know what the Caribbean has to do with that) but as far as nothing like them anywhere, I guess I am jaded about caves, but having visited several in the USA, these small caves in Bermuda are neat but they don't compare much to caves you can visit in the United States. I would pick the water activities like snorkeling, doing the beaches, Boston Whalers etc. over doing the Crystal Caves. I would also pick visiting Hamilton over the caves for number three.

Edited by Charles4515

O.K. sorry if this is cheating...but...

1. St. George's

2. Horseshoe Bay

3. Jet Ski excursion( we just did this out of St. George's and we saw places you can't see unless on the water...

This most recent trip we did

1) Beaches starting at Horseshoe Bay and ending at Warwick Long Bay, great to explore all the little coves and beaches in between

2) St. George's, including down town, Unfinished Church and Tobacco Bay.

3) Sail / Snorkle Charter. Allows you to get out on the stunning water that is Bermuda, see some sites and do some snorkling.

21812_10153241304375758_6775604972754474601_n.jpg?oh=5594d91e320d6d29b218d37ce3ad677a&oe=565BA2B7

11215187_10153241304185758_2382223819592285714_n.jpg?oh=945c135989f1d196398d1793ad2a3f51&oe=56460347

10930877_10153250448630758_6269274939240475111_n.jpg?oh=c45aa9239751c0f067b24f946b55e945&oe=5657C127

11054480_10153250448715758_4473159568386470871_n.jpg?oh=0b8c90ac1fcedfed0c1d2ab217cfa844&oe=561BCDD6

1. Horseshoe Bay and DEFINITELY walk away from the beach and find your little piece of heaven.

2. Tour around St. George. There is so much history and architectural beauty there. With their new HOHO bus, getting around is much easier and not so physically taxing.

I disagree with Crystal Caves. It's extremely short and hardly worth the ticket price. I'm not sure how this compares to the Fantasy Caves though. I will say it's worth it to stop at the Swizzle Inn near by :D

this is really hard..but right now...

1. St.George's

2. Horseshoe Bay

3. Hamilton( BUEI)

Hi, we are taking our 10 year old granddaughter, any suggestions for "must do's"? A lot different when you are traveling with a child. We will be there 3 days on the Sunshine. Carnival a first we are diamond with RCCL and elite with Celebrity but they are offering a 8 night out of Florida. Suggestions are appreciated! Hope you have a wonderful trip.

Hi, we are taking our 10 year old granddaughter, any suggestions for "must do's"? A lot different when you are traveling with a child. We will be there 3 days on the Sunshine. Carnival a first we are diamond with RCCL and elite with Celebrity but they are offering a 8 night out of Florida. Suggestions are appreciated! Hope you have a wonderful trip.

I was about 13 and my sister was about 10 when we went to Bermuda (land based trip). Back in the 1980s.

1.We both enjoyed St. George even though it is a historical spot. Kids enjoy seeing the stocks etc.!

2. The beaches

3.Glass bottom boat or snorkeling. The coral was colorful and very interesting to us as kids.

As girls we also loved afternoon tea! Not sure how this would work with a cruise vacation besides on the boat. We did love the caves too, but it can be done other places.

Edited by mawvkysc

There is certainly a lot of great suggestions above, with more than you can possibly see and do in one trip, but this is what I do when I go every year.

1) Any beach! Especially those along the south shore (Horseshoe Bay, Warwick Long Bay, etc.).

2) The Swizzle Inn (I or II, doesn't matter, although II is closer) to have the famous rum swizzles.

3) More beaches and then more rum swizzles.

Not exactly in that order. :D

Sorry, I know that wasn't much help.

What 3 things are a must

The best things to see are underwater!

Parrot fish are spectacular.:)

Purple sea fans are brilliant.:D

The tons of little fish @ Tobacco Bay beach are a sight to behold.:cool:

Bring a snorkel and mask with you.;)

Am I the only person on the planet who went to Horseshoe Bay and was mildly disappointed?

After all I'd read, I expected PINK sand. It wasn't pink. Maybe slightly. But this cruise followed one to Hawaii where the black-sand beaches actually had black sand.

Was only there 1-1/2 days so only toured around on Day 1 with a transit pass (bus to Horseshoe, bus to Hamilton, walked up to fort, ferry back to ship).

This time we have almost 3 full days...

Day 1 - Winsome island tour during day, sunset sail later with Restless Native

Day 2 - ferry to St George, bus back to Hamilton (I don't shop), pub after dinner

Day 3 - morning beach (probably Warwick Long Bay; don't swim so snorkeling is out)

Everyone's top 3 is great! Here are my most memorable top 3 from my trip to Bermuda.

1. Horseshoe Bay Beach & walk along through all the beaches - Jobson's Cove is gorgeous. We took the more treacherous path for walking and it was lots of fun.

2. Swizzle Inn!! Just go for a full pitcher of Rum Swizzles - we started with a half and went for another half. :o

3. Gibb's Hill Lighthouse - its pretty cheap and the views were amazing!

I would also recommend Hamilton and St. George. :)

We go to Bermuda quite often, but we fly in and stay for 10 days or so. I've been there on a cruise and the 3 day limit was so frustrating!

We went to the beach - you have to go to a beach. Next to Grape Bay - which is difficult to get to unless you are staying there (which we do!), is Warwick Long Bay. It has the pinkest sand I've seen in Bermuda. It's not in your face PINK but it is a soft shell pink. It's very soft and rarely hot. And the water is so many shades of aqua and turquoise - just gorgeous!

Oh - there are no facilities at Warwick Long Bay - which is why Bermuda visitors go to Horseshoe and the natives go elsewhere!

I find it hard to make a list of just 3, but in addition to the beach, we always, always, take the #10 or #11 from Hamilton to the Aquarium in Flatts Village - it's beautiful spot. We go through the Natural History Museum, the Aquarium and finish up at the zoo. We go outside and hop on another bus and get off at the aforementioned Swizzle Inn. IMO no visit to Bermuda is complete without a stop at the Swizzle Inn.

Last time I was there on a cruise, I told our table mates what we were doing. We met them at the bus stop across from the Aquarium. We joined up and sat together at the Swizzle Inn. I introduced them to Swizzles and Portuguese Red Bean soup - which sadly, they no longer serve :(

We spent the afternoon and definitely Swaggered Out and over to the bus! Get some locally made and local flavour ice cream while you're waiting.

I think on the 3rd day we did some shopping, but if you're not into shopping, I recommend the Famous Homes & Hideaways Tour - there is no other way to see waterside Bermuda - and it's worth seeing, Or if you are adventurous - parasailing. I've done it twice and LOVE it!

Flatts Village by the Aquarium

p1371853075-3.jpg

Horseback riding on Warwick Long Bay

p1372222559-3.jpg

Parasailing

p1371838761-3.jpg

Swizzle Inn

p1577719734-3.jpg

Famous Homes & Hideaways Tour

p504543576-3.jpg

We go to Bermuda quite often, but we fly in and stay for 10 days or so. I've been there on a cruise and the 3 day limit was so frustrating!

We went to the beach - you have to go to a beach. Next to Grape Bay - which is difficult to get to unless you are staying there (which we do!), is Warwick Long Bay. It has the pinkest sand I've seen in Bermuda. It's not in your face PINK but it is a soft shell pink. It's very soft and rarely hot. And the water is so many shades of aqua and turquoise - just gorgeous!

Oh - there are no facilities at Warwick Long Bay - which is why Bermuda visitors go to Horseshoe and the natives go elsewhere!

I find it hard to make a list of just 3, but in addition to the beach, we always, always, take the #10 or #11 from Hamilton to the Aquarium in Flatts Village - it's beautiful spot. We go through the Natural History Museum, the Aquarium and finish up at the zoo. We go outside and hop on another bus and get off at the aforementioned Swizzle Inn. IMO no visit to Bermuda is complete without a stop at the Swizzle Inn.

Last time I was there on a cruise, I told our table mates what we were doing. We met them at the bus stop across from the Aquarium. We joined up and sat together at the Swizzle Inn. I introduced them to Swizzles and Portuguese Red Bean soup - which sadly, they no longer serve :(

We spent the afternoon and definitely Swaggered Out and over to the bus! Get some locally made and local flavour ice cream while you're waiting.

I think on the 3rd day we did some shopping, but if you're not into shopping, I recommend the Famous Homes & Hideaways Tour - there is no other way to see waterside Bermuda - and it's worth seeing, Or if you are adventurous - parasailing. I've done it twice and LOVE it!

Flatts Village by the Aquarium

p1371853075-3.jpg

Horseback riding on Warwick Long Bay

p1372222559-3.jpg

Parasailing

p1371838761-3.jpg

Swizzle Inn

p1577719734-3.jpg

Famous Homes & Hideaways Tour

p504543576-3.jpg

Great pictures!!!

There is so much to do and see in Bermuda, especially if it is your first time there. We took a tour with one of the blue flagged taxis for a few hours on our first day. It's a great way to see everything upfront and then choose what you want to go back and spend more time doing on the other days.

Not sure when you are going, but Harbour Nights on Wednesday evenings during the summer in Hamilton is another good thing to do with a 10 year old. It kicks off with a parade followed by music (live and DJ) at the stage on Front Street. They close off the street to traffic, and various local vendors set up little stands to sell their crafts.

Definitely spend time at the beach. Horseshoe Bay has chair/umbrella rentals, concessions, and restrooms. There is a path that you can walk to Warwick Long Bay, which IMO has pinker sand that HB. It's a nice walk past little coves, but you do have to climb over some rough areas, so wear appropriate shoes.

The fort in St. George is pretty cool too for a 10 year old, but you will see that if you take a taxi tour. Just make sure you tell them you want to go there.

Have fun!

1. Walking along the beaches and bluff between Warwick and Horseshoe! So gorgeous!

2. St George tour with Unfinished Church and Tobacco Bay thrown in!

3. Stopping at the Frog and Onion after a long beach day for a nice cold beer!

Enjoy!

Lauri