Barcelona Pre-cruise hotels

tromvest

We are thinking of a cruise out of Barcelona for next May. I am not familiar with Barcelona and we would like to stay 2 nights pre-cruise to explore the city. At first I thought the Las Ramblas area is the place one would want to stay but reading a little of the Las Ramblas area I am gathering that it is very touristy, very expensive and is a place to see while in Barcelona but not neccessarily stay for a couple of days and that there are other more desirable areas with nice hotels. We don't mind having to walk some to explore the city and would like to be kind of close to the cruise port. If anyone has any suggestions on where to stay I would be most grateful. We do want to see the church La Sagrada Familia (sp.?) if that makes any difference on location of hotel ideas.

Thanks!!

We we stayed at the Duquesa de Cardona Hotel in Barcelona last December. It is a wonderful little boutique hotel -- near the port -- near the water -- we really enjoyed it. Their location and email are below this post. Here is a link to TripAdvisor where you can check out the reviews. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187497-d259360-Reviews-Hotel_Duquesa_de_Cardona-Barcelona_Catalonia.html

The only negative (not only of this hotel) is noise from the street. We were concerned and emailed the hotel -- they answered very promptly. After discussion the problem via email we selected one of the least expensive rooms that did not face the water because it was quiet.

The price was better than other places we checked and it included a lovely breakfast. The people who run the hotel are amazing -- so nice. Have a great time in Barcelona!

Duquesa de Cardona Hotel

Passeig Colom 12 – Barcelona, 8002 Spain

Phone: 0034 93 268 9090 Email: info@hduquesadecardona.com

I can't say enough good things about Hotel 1898! it's on Las Ramblas and while it is touristy and kind of cheezy, it's also really well situated in between several very interesting neighbourhoods and has easy access to several metro lines so you can take the transit system all over. There was no street noise and, even better, almost no noise from other rooms or people in the hallways. Very comfortable, lovely decor, swimming pool and rooftop lounge. I highly recommend it in spite of the fact it's on Las Ramblas, not because of it.

After looking at many different locations and hotels in Barcelona I finally decided on the Regencia Colon for our trip last summer. http://www.hotelregenciacolon.com/. It was "middle of the road" in the La Rambla area. It was within walking distance of everything and close to the port. It was very clean, reasonable and the people were very friendly and helpful. We would return there if we go back to Barcelona.

• 1 year later...

Is this hotel: Duquesa de Cardona Hotel located where you would walk to the port or will you still need to take a cab? We are going in June, 2014 and need to book a hotel for several days ahead of the June 1 cruise but do not really know where to book. We need it to be safe, clean, and that's about it . . . . we are not so worried about noise, as we are about safety. Thanks for any help given.

We really enjoyed Hotel Europark. It's not near the port, but taxis are cheap. It is near Sagrada Familia, we walked there, and walking distance to other Gaudi sites and close to several Metro stations. It's in Eixample, which is a beautiful architectural district. We paid not much more than 100 euros, in November. Very modern, clean and well-run.

We are going to Barcelona in May and looking at this hotel. Web site is http://www.hotelsbplazaeuropa.com Has anyone ever stayed there or can tell me if it is a good location. We will be there for 6 days in May 2014.

That hotel is not very central. It is more of a business hotel than a tourist hotel.

It is about 4 miles from Plaza Cataluña (considered to be the city centre). That would take about a half hour on the metro. It is about 25 minutes by metro to Sagrada Familia.

Edited by RollieUK

We stayed at the H10 right on Plaza Catalunya. Perfect location. HOHO bus stopped right across the street. Taxi stand right out front of hotel. Short walk to La Rambla. Nice breakfast. We didn't use Metro but I believe it was right out front of the hotel or very short walk. Room and bathroom were nice. We thought the bed was a little hard but then we are used to a soft bed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

For someone who's on a budget http://www.operaramblas.com may be an intresting option. When I visited BCN a few years ago for dancing-lessons, some people of my group stayed there and were satisfied.

Not luxury but cheap and very close to the port. Getting there from the airport will last less than one hour and you have to change trains only two or three times. Cost is less than 5$.

I will try in September before leaving BCN on NCL Epic :-)

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Forums

We stayed at the H10 right on Plaza Catalunya. Perfect location. HOHO bus stopped right across the street. Taxi stand right out front of hotel. Short walk to La Rambla. Nice breakfast. We didn't use Metro but I believe it was right out front of the hotel or very short walk. Room and bathroom were nice. We thought the bed was a little hard but then we are used to a soft bed.

+1

This hotel looks to be in the perfect location to do just about anything you want to do.

OK, silly question. What is the difference between hotel and hostal? Several listings while I was searching for Barcelona hotels offer private rooms and bathrooms, but are called Hostels or Hostals. I thought hostels were like communal apartments with bunkbeds and such. If you have your own room and bathroom, what makes a hotel superior? thank you for your help! Was looking at Hostal Q and others in the area...

OK, silly question. What is the difference between hotel and hostal? Several listings while I was searching for Barcelona hotels offer private rooms and bathrooms, but are called Hostels or Hostals. I thought hostels were like communal apartments with bunkbeds and such. If you have your own room and bathroom, what makes a hotel superior? thank you for your help! Was looking at Hostal Q and others in the area...

In Spain a Hostal is not the same as a hostel (like a youth hostel).

A Hostal tends to be like a small hotel or B&B. Some have en-suite bathrooms, some do not. Be careful when looking at the star rating of a hostal as it is different to the rating of a hotel.

This page gives a good description of the differences

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/hotels/barcelona-hotel-hostal-pensions.html

We are thinking of a cruise out of Barcelona for next May. I am not familiar with Barcelona and we would like to stay 2 nights pre-cruise to explore the city. At first I thought the Las Ramblas area is the place one would want to stay but reading a little of the Las Ramblas area I am gathering that it is very touristy, very expensive and is a place to see while in Barcelona but not neccessarily stay for a couple of days and that there are other more desirable areas with nice hotels. We don't mind having to walk some to explore the city and would like to be kind of close to the cruise port. If anyone has any suggestions on where to stay I would be most grateful. We do want to see the church La Sagrada Familia (sp.?) if that makes any difference on location of hotel ideas.

Thanks!!

I'd recommend you look at hotels in the area of Placa Catalunya, but, if noise is a concern, not on the plaza itself. This is very central and you'll be able to walk to most places (e.g. the Gothic Quarter and the Gaudi residences in the Eixample district). There's also a convenient Metro station if you'd prefer to take the metro a bit farther afield (e.g. Parc Guell) La Sagrada Familia is a long but do-able walk from this location.

The city that the average tourist visits is really quite compact and safe to walk or, at worst, a short/inexpensive taxi ride away.

I'm one of those folks who isn't a fan of La Rambla so I've never understood the need to choose that location just to be close to the port. We stayed at the Renaissance in the Eixample district and, perhaps, my taxi cost 5-8 Euros more than if we had stayed on/near La Rambla.

I have to give my vote for Hotel 1898! Great hotel but the location right on Las Ramblas was fantastic if you like to wander through a very interesting city and people watch. Very near the best food market I've ever been to (and we have been to quite a few all over the world). Many, many really good restaurants near by ( go to the side streets, don't dine on Las Ramblas). It's also a short cab ride to the port.

We stayed at Hotel Jazz last September for two nights pre-cruise. Very nice hotel. We were in one of the corner suites. Its about a block from the main square and Las Ramblas. Next to the metro station. We took the metro straight to Sagrada Familia and a taxi from there to Park Guel. Easy walk to restaurants and Las Ramblas. My only comment is to request a room on an upper floor. We were on the 2nd floor and could hear some noise from the street. I would stay there again.

• 1 month later...

Hi

My husband and I will be in Barcelona sept. 2014 for two nights pre cruise. I am also considering Hotel 1898 for our stay. I read your review and it looked like you enjoyed the hotel highly recommended it to others. The rates in this hotel is more expressive in comparison to other hotels. Do you feel that it was worth the extra money and did you have a regular room or a superior one with a balcony? You also mentioned that it was not noisy. Perhaps you could suggest a location in the hotel that we would experience a pleasant time in Barcelona. If you can get back to me that would appreciated. My email address RMarg1969@aol.com. Hope to hear from you soon.

Rose Margolis

We stayed at Hotel Cathedral Barcelona in the Barri Gotic neighborhood right across from the Cathedral. We were there for 2 days pre-cruise and 1.5 days post-cruise last summer. It is very modern, allowed us to keep our luggage there free until check-in, etc. They had free Wi-Fi and a business area with computers you could use. Even had printer to use. I would definitely stay at this hotel again. It was approx. $250 a night.

Edited by sgcass123
added when we were there

Hi

My husband and I will be in Barcelona sept. 2014 for two nights pre cruise. I am also considering Hotel 1898 for our stay. I read your review and it looked like you enjoyed the hotel highly recommended it to others. The rates in this hotel is more expressive in comparison to other hotels. Do you feel that it was worth the extra money and did you have a regular room or a superior one with a balcony? You also mentioned that it was not noisy. Perhaps you could suggest a location in the hotel that we would experience a pleasant time in Barcelona. If you can get back to me that would appreciated. My email address RMarg1969@aol.com. Hope to hear from you soon.

Rose Margolis

Look into the Hotel Monte Carlo directly across the street from Hotel 1898 and less expensive. We stayed there on the advice of CC folks. Also highly rated on TA.