Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Royal Caribbean International
- Read thousands of Royal Caribbean Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
- Write a Royal Caribbean Cruise Review
- Find Your Royal Caribbean Roll Call
See posts about:
Adventure of the Seas
Enchantment of the Seas
Independence of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
Quantum of the Seas
Splendour of the Seas

Allure of the Seas
Explorer of the Seas
Jewel of the Seas
Mariner of the Seas
Radiance of the Seas
Vision of the Seas

Anthem of the Seas
Freedom of the Seas
Legend of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Rhapsody of the Seas
Voyager of the Seas

Brilliance of the Seas
Grandeur of the Seas
Liberty of the Seas
Oasis of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 17th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Dorie7 Dorie7 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 502
Default Nearest airport to Cape liberty, NJ

Hello,

My brother is going on a cruise out of New Jersey, Cape liberty port to Bermuda. Does anyone know which airport is the nearest/most convenient? Is this far from New York? Would it be preferable to fly to NY instead of NJ and, if so, what type of transportation would you recommend?

Thanks,
Dorie
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old November 17th, 2006, 03:35 PM
The Big Booper's Avatar
The Big Booper The Big Booper is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Now in SE Florida from NY
Posts: 7,606
Default

Newark Liberty Airport is the closest by far of the 3 NYC area airports. JFK and LaG are in Queens many miles away.
__________________
Mr. Incredible




Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old November 17th, 2006, 03:37 PM
The Big Booper's Avatar
The Big Booper The Big Booper is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Now in SE Florida from NY
Posts: 7,606
Default

Bayonne is across the Hudson River from Manhattan, near the Statue of Liberty.
__________________
Mr. Incredible




Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old November 17th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Linda/Ohio Linda/Ohio is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: OHIO
Posts: 1,245
Default

Newark. Also not a bad place to drive--we are from Ohio and drove with some friends. Spent the night in a Summerfield Suite about 45 minutes from the port. Got a nice rooms for about $100.
__________________
Linda/Ohio
2013 Enchantment of the Seas
2012 Jewel of the Seas
2012 Monarch of the Seas
2011 Jewel of the Seas
2011 Radiance of the Seas
2009 Jewel of the Seas
2008 Explorer Of The Seas
2007 Enchantment Of The Seas
2006 Jewel Of The Seas
2005 Voyager Of The Seas
2005 Majesty Of The Seas
2005 Enchantment Of The Seas
2004 Empress Of The Seas
2003 Majesty Of The Seas
2002 Brilliance Of The Seas
2000 Westerdam
1999 Enchantment Of The Seas
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old November 17th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Sue L's Avatar
Sue L Sue L is offline
20,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 23,054
Default

It is about a 25$ taxi ride to the port from newark airport
__________________
Liberty Travel-Flight Centre USA
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #6  
Old November 17th, 2006, 04:58 PM
TPKeller's Avatar
TPKeller TPKeller is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Fredericksburg, VA USA
Posts: 5,294
Default

I've marked all three major airports in the NY area on my Bayonne map:

http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/maps/p...hp?mapid=nybay

Take the advice from people who are in the area, but this will give you a picture.

If you click on the Bayonne dock marker, and then click on the "From here" direction link, you can enter the three letter airport code to get a map and directions to the airports. To Newark (EWR) it is only 9.1 miles.

Theron
__________________
Click here to tell me stuff
-----------------------------------------------------
Enchantment of the Seas 10/28/2013 Bahamas | Enchantment of the Seas 1/5/2013 Eastern | NCL Epic 11/24/12 Eastern | Enchantment of the Seas 8/3/12 Bermuda | Enchantment of the Seas 2/18/12 The Bahamas | Enchantment of the Seas 9/22/11 Canada&NE | Enchantment of the Seas 5/28/11 Bermuda | Oasis of the Seas 5/15/10 Western | Freedom of the Seas 8/2/09 Western | Grandeur of the Seas 5/30/09 Bermuda | Adventure of the Seas 10/26/08 Southern | Vision of the Seas 12/9/07 Mexican Riviera | Grandeur of the Seas 8/19/07 Bermuda | Empress of the Seas 5/26/07 Bermuda | Grandeur of the Seas 10/27/06 Western | Grandeur of the Seas 10/28/05 Western | Explorer of the Seas 9/27/03 Western | Celebrity Century 9/28/02 Eastern (Thanks to Lili) | [126 days at sea! and counting!]
-----------------------------------------------------
[Cruise Tip Calculator - calculate the amount and type of bills you need to stuff your tipping envelopes]
[Version 2.1: Cruise Maps - a growing collection of cruise related maps from all over]
[Cruise Tools - Cruise Budget Spreadsheet - Plan your cruise costs]
[Theron's Albums - Photo albums of previous cruises and other places]

Last edited by TPKeller; November 17th, 2006 at 05:02 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old November 17th, 2006, 05:08 PM
geojobes's Avatar
geojobes geojobes is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sanford NC
Posts: 1,975
Default Newark Liberty

You definitely want to use Newark. Even if the others looked closer, the traffic from the NYC would kill you. The Newark airport is at exit 14 of the NJ Turnpike, Bayonne is at exit 14C on the Newark Bay Extension of the NJTP(also known as the eastern spur). I don't know the mileage, but it can't be much more than 10 miles. BTW I'm from Central Jersey, but I work in North Jersey & travel that area a lot.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old November 18th, 2006, 02:02 AM
aqhacruiser's Avatar
aqhacruiser aqhacruiser is offline
30,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 33,942
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorie7
Hello,

My brother is going on a cruise out of New Jersey, Cape liberty port to Bermuda. Does anyone know which airport is the nearest/most convenient? Is this far from New York? Would it be preferable to fly to NY instead of NJ and, if so, what type of transportation would you recommend?

Thanks,
Dorie
Your brother should come into Newark Airport. If he comes in the day before there is the Newark Best Western that offers a Park and cruise package and they provide shuttle to Cape Liberty and also to Newark Airport. The number is 877-442-0992. Rate is 155.00 plus tax for 2 people and includes breakfast. A few people used it from my Oct. cruise and they seemed pleased.
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old November 18th, 2006, 07:20 AM
barbaragrace's Avatar
barbaragrace barbaragrace is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqhacruiser
Your brother should come into Newark Airport. If he comes in the day before there is the Newark Best Western that offers a Park and cruise package and they provide shuttle to Cape Liberty and also to Newark Airport. The number is 877-442-0992. Rate is 155.00 plus tax for 2 people and includes breakfast. A few people used it from my Oct. cruise and they seemed pleased.
I live in NJ and NEWARK airport is your best bet. The traffic through NY is so unpredictable and nerve wracking...no way to start a vacation! Also, the view of NY on the NJ side (if you should go for a taxi $$ tour to Liberty Park, JC) is very nice too.
__________________


Vinny and Barbara

Norwegian Breakaway Oct. 2015 (Bermuda)
Royal Caribbean EOS Oct. 2014 (Bermuda changed to Canada)
Royal Caribbean EOS July 2014 (Bermuda & Caribbean)
Celebrity Summit July 2013 (Bermuda)
Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas Oct. 2012 (Bermuda)
Norwegian Gem July 2012 (Florida/Bahamas)
Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas Oct. 2011 (Bermuda)
Carnival Miracle July 2011 (Bahamas)
Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas Oct. 2010 (Bermuda)
Caribbean Princess June 2009
Carnival Miracle June 2008 (Caribbean)
Norwegian Crown June 2007 (Bermuda)
Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas June 2006
Carnival Legend 2005 (Caribbean)
Carnival Legend 2004 (Caribbean)
Carnival Legend 2003 (Caribbean)
Carnival Triumph 2002 (Canada)
Carnival Victory 2001 (Canada)
Regal Empress 2000 (Bahamas)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Regal_Empress
antique ship-interesting!







Last edited by barbaragrace; November 18th, 2006 at 07:22 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old July 4th, 2015, 11:51 PM
trbarton's Avatar
trbarton trbarton is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,501
Default

I'm planning a cruise from Cape Liberty, New Jersey and I understand that the Newark Liberty Airport is the one to fly into. If one stays in Cape Liberty, New Jersey is there inexpensive transit options to get into New York City? Is there things to do in Cape Liberty, New Jersey? Do any hotels offer transportation from the airport and to the cruise terminal?

Thanks!

Tom
__________________





USS Coral Sea, CVA 43, 1966-1967, 18 momths
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old July 5th, 2015, 12:01 AM
clarea's Avatar
clarea clarea is online now
50,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 59,454
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbarton View Post
I'm planning a cruise from Cape Liberty, New Jersey and I understand that the Newark Liberty Airport is the one to fly into. If one stays in Cape Liberty, New Jersey is there inexpensive transit options to get into New York City? Is there things to do in Cape Liberty, New Jersey? Do any hotels offer transportation from the airport and to the cruise terminal?

Thanks!

Tom
The best place to ask these questions is on the East Coast Departures forum. There are many helpful and knowledgable folks there:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415
__________________
Bob

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Voyager
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old July 5th, 2015, 12:46 AM
trbarton's Avatar
trbarton trbarton is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarea View Post
The best place to ask these questions is on the East Coast Departures forum. There are many helpful and knowledgable folks there:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415
Thank you very much!

Tom
__________________





USS Coral Sea, CVA 43, 1966-1967, 18 momths
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old July 5th, 2015, 12:50 AM
Desert Cruizers's Avatar
Desert Cruizers Desert Cruizers is online now
30,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Palm Springs, Calif
Posts: 34,646
Default

For those living in NJ, we will be flying into Newark next October 16, before flying up to Quebec for a cruise on the 19th and staying at the Hampton Suites in Elizabeth. I was told to take the Path into the WTC. We wish to spend some time in NYC and see the 9/11 Museum & Memorial along with the Statue of Liberty for starters. Once we arrive at the WTC, what is the best way to get to the 9/11 Museum & Memorial.
__________________


http://supergramscruiser.com
GLea472968at aol dot com
leagay29 at yahoo dot com
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old July 5th, 2015, 01:53 AM
Merion_Mom's Avatar
Merion_Mom Merion_Mom is online now
40,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Merion, Pennsylvania
Posts: 45,266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarea View Post
The best place to ask these questions is on the East Coast Departures forum. There are many helpful and knowledgable folks there:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Cruizers View Post
For those living in NJ, we will be flying into Newark next October 16, before flying up to Quebec for a cruise on the 19th and staying at the Hampton Suites in Elizabeth. I was told to take the Path into the WTC. We wish to spend some time in NYC and see the 9/11 Museum & Memorial along with the Statue of Liberty for starters. Once we arrive at the WTC, what is the best way to get to the 9/11 Museum & Memorial.
As Bob wrote, you should use the East Coast Departures forum, whose link he provided.
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old July 5th, 2015, 07:11 AM
jm485 jm485 is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Cruizers View Post
For those living in NJ, we will be flying into Newark next October 16, before flying up to Quebec for a cruise on the 19th and staying at the Hampton Suites in Elizabeth. I was told to take the Path into the WTC. We wish to spend some time in NYC and see the 9/11 Museum & Memorial along with the Statue of Liberty for starters. Once we arrive at the WTC, what is the best way to get to the 9/11 Museum & Memorial.
The 9/11 museum is at the WTC site. Follow the signs when you get there. (I also.live in NJ).
__________________
Quark "Ocean Nova" Classic Antarctica (2008)
Holland America "Volendam" Australia & New Zealand (2011)
Royal Caribbean "Liberty of the Seas" Bermuda (2015)

Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old July 5th, 2015, 07:33 AM
WrittenOnYourHeart's Avatar
WrittenOnYourHeart WrittenOnYourHeart is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqhacruiser View Post
Your brother should come into Newark Airport. If he comes in the day before there is the Newark Best Western that offers a Park and cruise package and they provide shuttle to Cape Liberty and also to Newark Airport. The number is 877-442-0992. Rate is 155.00 plus tax for 2 people and includes breakfast. A few people used it from my Oct. cruise and they seemed pleased.
I would DEFINITELY plan on flying in at least a day ahead. All of the NYC airports are infamous for delays in and out - and that's definitely no way to begin a vacation.
__________________
*~*~*~
Past Cruises ~ April 1983 - SS Emerald Seas; July 2013 - Disney Dream; February 2014 - Disney Dream; July 2014 - HAL ms Westerdam; February 2014 - Disney Fantasy; July/August 2015 - RCCL Radiance of the Seas
Future Cruises ~ July 2016 - RCCL Brilliance of the Seas
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old July 5th, 2015, 08:12 AM
reallyitsmema's Avatar
reallyitsmema reallyitsmema is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,764
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrittenOnYourHeart View Post
I would DEFINITELY plan on flying in at least a day ahead. All of the NYC airports are infamous for delays in and out - and that's definitely no way to begin a vacation.
The post you quoted is from 2006. I bet that ship has already sailed.
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old July 5th, 2015, 09:06 AM
cruisenfever's Avatar
cruisenfever cruisenfever is offline
40,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 43,130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbarton View Post
I'm planning a cruise from Cape Liberty, New Jersey and I understand that the Newark Liberty Airport is the one to fly into. If one stays in Cape Liberty, New Jersey is there inexpensive transit options to get into New York City? Is there things to do in Cape Liberty, New Jersey? Do any hotels offer transportation from the airport and to the cruise terminal?

Thanks!

Tom
We just returned from a cruise on Liberty out of Port Liberty. When we cruise out of Port Liberty we stay at Embassy Suites Newark Airport which has a complimentary shuttle to the hotel from the airport. We took a taxi from the hotel to the airport and it was $65. Country Inn and Suites, which is right across the parking lot from Embassy, offers a shuttle to the cruise port for $35pp.

From the ship to the airport RCI transfers are $28.50pp, Airport Shuttle Bus (independent of RCI) is also $28.50pp. We chose to splurge and use a taxi which was $68.30 (includes toll fee). We were off the ship at 9:30 and sitting in the UA lounge at 10:30.

I don't think the word "inexpensive" even exists in New Jersey or New York.
__________________
Patti (& Jim)


Pinnacle Club

"Successful People Keep Moving On. They Make Mistakes, But They Don't Quit!"
Conrad Hilton


Last edited by cruisenfever; July 5th, 2015 at 09:09 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old July 5th, 2015, 05:43 PM
maddycat's Avatar
maddycat maddycat is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisenfever View Post
We just returned from a cruise on Liberty out of Port Liberty. When we cruise out of Port Liberty we stay at Embassy Suites Newark Airport which has a complimentary shuttle to the hotel from the airport. We took a taxi from the hotel to the airport and it was $65. Country Inn and Suites, which is right across the parking lot from Embassy, offers a shuttle to the cruise port for $35pp.

From the ship to the airport RCI transfers are $28.50pp, Airport Shuttle Bus (independent of RCI) is also $28.50pp. We chose to splurge and use a taxi which was $68.30 (includes toll fee). We were off the ship at 9:30 and sitting in the UA lounge at 10:30.

I don't think the word "inexpensive" even exists in New Jersey or New York.
You got that right.
__________________
Madeline
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:58 PM.


© 1995 - 2015, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.