Beach?

selgie

I agree that the beaches here are not very good. However, if you are set on a bit of sand, there is a small beach at the end of Simonton 2-3 blocks from the ships where you can rent a chair and hsve a beer or fish taco from the concession. It is called Lagerheads at Simonton Beach.

I was wondering if there are any beaches near the port or close by? I want to kick back and relax, and I have limited mobility -- I walk with a cane.

If you're just looking to kick back and relax, I recommend going to Fort Zachary Taylor State Park. For swimming, it's not the best because there is a lot of crushed coral in the sand, but for relaxing and taking in the sights, it's a great location.

Either way, I just urge you to ignore advice to stay on the ship. If you've never been to Key West, there is so much to see and compared to other cruise destinations, is extremely safe.

Two Key West-y alternatives

1. Lagerheads on Simonton Beach ---> http://lagerheadsbeachbar.com/ Walk along Front Street until you hit Simonton, make a left and it's a block away. Snag a drink, a fish taco and a chair.

2. The beach-side bar at the Pier House, 1 Duval Street. It's on the grounds of the hotel but open to the public. Walk over to Duval and make a left and you will see a row of large urns with water coming out of them. Walk along them and you enter the side entrance to the hotel. Make a left and the café is a few steps away. Sitting at the bar or at a table will put you just off their beach.

Pjk

Can you tell me which is a better option? I'm looking to go to a beach as well ...the Siminton Beach? Or going to Fort Zachary? Is Fort Zachary close by and would it be easy to get a cab to bring me back to port?

Between those 2, definitely Fort Zach. Simonton Beach is tiny and is in KW Harbor. Ft Zach is huge and is on the open ocean. Plus, at Ft Zach, there are walking trails and the fort itself.

Edited by Aquahound

Between those 2, definitely Fort Zach. Simonton Beach is tiny and is in KW Harbor. Ft Zach is huge and is on the open ocean. Plus, at Ft Zach, there are walking trails and the fort itself.

I agree with Aquahound on all points.

You just can't imagine how tiny Simonton Beach is.

Mike:)

• 1 month later...

Simonton Beach is literally about 20 yards wide and about 15 yards "deep" of sand with rental chairs/umbrellas on it. The water is roped off to a fence (left) and a pier (right) and about 10 feet into the water is as far as you can go. It is NOT a traditional beach in any way. You can get some beers there and it is steps from the traffic/street, so it is convenient. We were not intrigued enough to stay. If I wanted to drink beers near water, the ship offers a much better venue without the trash.

I momentarily regretted not getting a taxi to Ft. Zach Taylor (we drove through it on the shuttle to get to our drop off at Mallory Square) but I don't think it would have been a better option with the roughness of the beach.

There is a lot of interesting shopping and a few landmarks to see. Just check ahead as some cost $$ to enter, like the Hemingway house.

I don't think anyone is saying Simonton Beach is as good as Fort Zachary. The OP walks with a cane and was looking for something very close to the docks. For someone who doesn't want to walk far, but wants a little sand and sun, Simonton can work.

None of the beaches here, including Fort Zachary, are very good. In my opinion, none are worth a special trip. other cruise stops have much better beach options, so I am always surprised when cruise ship visitors go to any of our beaches, but to each his own.