Has the Amsterdam lost its library yet?

Dr.Dobro

To anyone recently on board the Amsterdam....Has the library been eliminated, cut back, or otherwise changed? Is there still a librarian to assist and keep things orderly?

We are going the 14-day Alaska trip from Seattle on Aug. 28.

Thanks!

To anyone recently on board the Amsterdam....Has the library been eliminated, cut back, or otherwise changed? Is there still a librarian to assist and keep things orderly?

We are going the 14-day Alaska trip from Seattle on Aug. 28.

Thanks!

Library still there, not attendant to assist but we did not miss them. Just take your book and return it when you are finished.

I can't see any reason to say "yet".

No reason for the library to go. It's not in the Crow's Nest and a very nice space.

A big difference between the R ships and the Vistas where the library IS in the Crow's Nest and affected by changes. JMO though.

I believe I asked this question of someone who was on this year's WC. A staff person had assured him/her that the library will still be there after its drydock next May, but the number of books will be decreased. And this, on a ship that sails the Grand Voyages. I fail to see the logic of that.

Hello Dr. Dobro! Good to see you post. Enjoy Alaska and the Amsterdam.

The Prinsendam still has her library but we wonder, without a librarian, how soon will it be before all the books walk away ...

That 14 day Alaskan cruise is a wonderful itinerary -- did it twice on her.

As to the library, when we were on the Westerdam in 2016, the librarian told us that Seattle was eliminating all of the librarians. Sad.

Yes -- books will be disappearing -- even on the ships like the Amsterdam where the library is located on the Upper Promenade Deck.

Hello Dr. Dobro! Good to see you post. Enjoy Alaska and the Amsterdam.

The Prinsendam still has her library but we wonder, without a librarian, how soon will it be before all the books walk away ...

Not to worry. HAL can replace them with all the books that have been removed from the other ships. LOL.

Hi Dr. Dobro,

Just off the Amsterdam and the library was still there. No librarian and it was interesting finding books as they weren't in much of an order but there were plenty. You take the book and then return it to the book drop.

Karen

Hi Dr. Dobro,

Just off the Amsterdam and the library was still there. No librarian and it was interesting finding books as they weren't in much of an order but there were plenty. You take the book and then return it to the book drop.

Karen

Do they accept books that we bring along ourselves and want to donate in?

Hi Dr. Dobro,

Karen

So if the books go in the book drop and there is no librarian, won't they soon be all gone from the shelves?;p

Hi, in reading this thread about the Libraries. I have to ask - does Rotterdam still have its library? I'm sailing in November and it is my "go to" place!! Thanks!

It was there when we were on in April and shouldn't be interfered with.

A number of first time HAL cruisers were in awe of that space :)

So if the books go in the book drop and there is no librarian, won't they soon be all gone from the shelves?;p

At least on my recent cruise on the Prinsendam, the books somehow magically found their way back to their proper place on the shelves. All the shelves looked well-stocked, so it did not appear as if many had wandered off.

After the librarian position was axed by HAL, other members of the on board Entertainment Dept were asked to place the returned books back in the shelves

At least on my recent cruise on the Prinsendam, the books somehow magically found their way back to their proper place on the shelves. All the shelves looked well-stocked, so it did not appear as if many had wandered off.

Same on the Rotterdam.

Actually, I usually put the books back. (Not because I had to but because I chose to). Not that hard to do and I know, I wasn't the only one. The books came back just fine from what I could see ;) And shelves were restocked.

• 2 weeks later...

Just off the Amsterdam 2 week Alaska cruise. Great cruise. Has a very nice library and reading area with windows to look at the great Alaskan scenery. Lots of recent best sellers, a wide variety of subjects and lots of magazines. I left a book that I brought. No librarian, as some mentioned. Just take a book and put it back when finished. Also a nice card room and there was a side room with a group of people working on puzzles.

Aside from the technical upgrades, I do hope they leave Amsterdam alone when she goes in for drydock...and not re-configure the spaces like they have been doing on the other ships....she is beautiful just the way she is and so many people enjoyed the dancing in the Ocean Bar in the evenings. As much as I like the Music Walk, I like Amsterdam just the way she is and it would be a shame to change her!

Don't you think that elimination of the librarian is a clue as to the direction Amsterdam is headed?

Nope; Amsterdam, as we all know, does the Grand World Voyage every year, now already eleven years in a row since 2007. Her Explorations Cafe and library are on Upper Promenade Deck/Deck 5, and there are no plans to move both to the Crow's Nest. And once again, on this year's - 2017 - GWV, Amsterdam did have a librarian who left soon after the completion of the voyage