Gratuity on Drink Packages???

LaShelle2

So, who get's this gratuity. I noticed they have 18% already included which is fine, but who gets this money?

I typically tip a bar tender per drink, but do not feel inclined to do so when I've already been charged 18% tip up front.

Does the bar tender get a portion of the 18% I paid when he makes my drink package drink or is RCI pocketing this money?

Just seems like a way for RCI to pad their pockets to me, and the bartenders would benefit more if people weren't charged 18% upfront and just tipped per drink. :cool:

I'm willing to bet the bartenders don't see a dime of it. Just my opinion.

I am willing to bet that you are utterly and completely wrong.

Do the bartenders look happy to you? They sure look happy to me.

How happy do you think they would be if they weren't getting their fair share of the gratuity pot?

I'm willing to bet the bartenders don't see a dime of it. Just my opinion.

If you genuinely think Royal Caribbean is stealing this money, why would you do business with them? A business that I thought behaved like that would not get even one dollar of my money!

The drink package tips are shared by those who deal with drinks.

At any rate...it's really shouldn't be your concern...if the employees weren't getting their cut of the tips, they wouldn't work there. They aren't "slave labor", you know!

We were speaking with a bartender on the Enchantment and he was saying that they really do not like the drink packages and that the bartender who sells the package gets the gratuity.

I've heard that too, and that it's a relatively recent change in policy that whoever sells the package gets the entire 18% gratuity. However, I've not had this confirmed by an officer yet.

Been a while since my last cruise. But I remember that getting drink service around the pool area could be challenging. Always carried extra cash on hand to make sure I was checked on frequently :)

Edited by fantavet

We were speaking with a bartender on the Enchantment and he was saying that they really do not like the drink packages and that the bartender who sells the package gets the gratuity.

I wonder which bartender gets the gratuities for the packages presold on the website.

They did this during the holiday season to try and increase package sales. We talked to the F&B Manager and he indicated to us on our NYE cruise that it was only for a short time and that after our sailing all ships were going back to pooling the 18% among the staff.

Another bar manager told us packages bought online were still pooled in the same fashion.

They did this during the holiday season to try and increase package sales. We talked to the F&B Manager and he indicated to us on our NYE cruise that it was only for a short time and that after our sailing all ships were going back to pooling the 18% among the staff.

Another bar manager told us packages bought online were still pooled in the same fashion.

Thanks for the update Karen.

I realize that 18% is a lot when you are paying $60-$70 a day for a drink package. We pre-buy before the cruise and include a little extra if we feel it is deserved. We almost always tip in the dining room because we know we will be attended to with prompt care. The same is true when we are in the pool areas. Unless of course the service could show signs of improvement. At the very least when we do this at our discretion, we know exactly where the money is going.

That seems fair. But what about the packages sold online?

I think I will wait and purchase a package on the ship if it would help out a bartender's tips.

I realize that 18% is a lot when you are paying $60-$70 a day for a drink package. We pre-buy before the cruise and include a little extra if we feel it is deserved. We almost always tip in the dining room because we know we will be attended to with prompt care. The same is true when we are in the pool areas. Unless of course the service could show signs of improvement. At the very least when we do this at our discretion, we know exactly where the money is going.

My concern isn't with the 18%. That's a standard tipping rate. But it is a lot of money over 7 days, and I am curious who it goes to and how it's divided.

I would probably actually end up spending quite a bit more than 18% if I tipped per drink If you considered $2 tip per drink over the course of a day. I'm getting the replenish package which only charges about $3 per day for gratuity, a very minimal amount.

It would be sad if that is true. Who knows if that person will even be serving you a drink? They sell packages online, in the terminal, and at multiple stands as you board. It appears if this is the case the only profitable winner is RCCI because it's now a competition amongst the crew.

That seems fair. But what about the packages sold online?

I think I will wait and purchase a package on the ship if it would help out a bartender's tips.

I wonder which bartender gets the gratuities for the packages presold on the website.

That was what caused me to post the question. I was in the process of buying the package online and thought to myself who is this 18% going to??? If the bartenders will get rewarded if you buy it on the ship, I will wait.

Whenever I read these types of threads I always wonder if people worry as much about a server in a land based restaurant. Do you ask them if they have to share tips? Do you ask them if they get 100% of tips left on a credit card?

I would guess the answer would be no that you don't question each server at every restaurant you visit. So why would you ask a server on a cruise ship? It's not my business how they earn their money. They make the choice to do the job, if they don't like it they don't have to continue to work for said cruise line.

I certainly don't ask my doctor, the bus driver, the cashier etc what their take home pay is.

But some people have weird pity feeling towards people that work on a cruise ship that they feel they can question their financial situation. It's bizarre.

I'm new to drink packages but had one on a X xmas and NY cruise as a so called perk. Most everyone in Bars and buffet area were HAPPY to get you a drink and never even indicated an extra tip was necessary.

I wonder if they received extra money for each drink they served.

Whenever I read these types of threads I always wonder if people worry as much about a server in a land based restaurant. Do you ask them if they have to share tips? Do you ask them if they get 100% of tips left on a credit card?

I would guess the answer would be no that you don't question each server at every restaurant you visit. So why would you ask a server on a cruise ship? It's not my business how they earn their money. They make the choice to do the job, if they don't like it they don't have to continue to work for said cruise line.

I certainly don't ask my doctor, the bus driver, the cashier etc what their take home pay is.

But some people have weird pity feeling towards people that work on a cruise ship that they feel they can question their financial situation. It's bizarre.

EXACTLY!!!!! Who CARES how the tips are distributed? It's none of my business!