Call Me Crazy

emilysmom97

Do you enjoy rough seas? I'd love to hear your stories.

My sister and I are leaving NYC Oct.18th on the Gem. I was so hoping we would get some rough seas from Hurricane Gonzalo. Seems like we won't. :( For me, feeling the waves and rocking of the ship is exhilarating. Last year on the same cruise, we experienced 60mph winds and high waves. Loved it. :o

Edited by emilysmom97

If you insist: you're crazy. You're welcome.

(actually, I agree with you) :) When the USS Des Moines ( a WW II attack cruiser ) was returning to the States from a year over in the Med, we hit a hurricane in the Atlantic. The bow of the ship would actually go under water coming up throwing off huge amounts of water. I was up in the conning tower snapping away with my camera. Loved it.

Edited by saleandsail

I dont know about "enjoy", but Ive been on 2 cruises where it was a little rough.

In the Mediterranean, on our first cruise on the Jade, there was a windstorm overnight. The ship was moving pretty good in all directions. I could feel my stomach moving up and down. The next day it was still pretty rough and a lot of people were not up and around. My wife took a nap and I went to the buffet! Im not one to get seasick, but food keeps my stomach juices from slopping around.:p I think there were maybe 6 other people there. It was pretty awesome.

The other cruise was just a little lumpy one day and people were walking like they were drunk. I always find that entertaining. Id barely consider that rough though. Just some heavy wind blowing the ship around and making waves.

We had really smooth seas on almost all of our New England/Canada Cruise a couple weeks ago - to the point we couldn't even tell the ship was moving without looking out a window.

Except one night - between Boston and Newport. WHEW -- heard those were 16-19 ft. seas. That was the night of the White Hot Party....and the dance floor was interesting to say the least...LOL

My very first cruise was Caribbean from Florida in February. My sister said the bingo board rolled back and forth across the stage. The more I drank the less I felt the movement. I've been on two other pretty rough sailings. Pools closed, Deck 7 outdoor access cut off. In the dining room if you looked out one side windows, you saw water, the other side was sky. And it was like a ghost ship. People stayed in their rooms. For me that is the worst thing - you need to move around. If I just lay there, I will only concentrate harder on the motion.

Was tossed right out of the pool onto the deck along with the pool water .. It was AWESOME :eek:

Of course I was in my 20's ... Ive got pictures somewhere ..

On our last cruise, the water in the pool was high enough that the kids were making a game of it, trying to jump out of the water and land on their feet in the spillage area. I had fun trying as well. Of course, the next day, they lowered the water level in the pool, so we couldn't do that any more.

But to answer the original posters question, once I get my sea legs, I enjoy the rougher seas and the definite motion of the ship.

On our Alaska Inside Passage cruise on the Sky in 2000, we were held in port at Skagway due to high winds. When the ship was cleared to leave it was pulled out by tugboats (that was fun to watch!). The winds were still really high and I think the captain was trying to make up time overnight going back out the inlet.

The ship felt as though it was bucking up and over massive rollers all night long. It was our first cruise and we'd done it on the cheap so we had an inside cabin. The motion was enough to roll us off the bed! Husband was sick all night and I was just about at the limit of my ability to tolerate it when we finally hit calmer water in the morning.

It wasn't so much the roughness, but more how long it goes on for that makes it change from exhilarating to "I'm gonna be sick now!" We hit some rough seas for just a couple of hours in Hawaii and it was fun and exciting but it was over before we had time to get uncomfortable.

Edited by mbuenzli

If you insist: you're crazy. You're welcome.

(actually, I agree with you) :) When the USS Des Moines ( a WW II attack cruiser ) was returning to the States from a year over in the Med, we hit a hurricane in the Atlantic. The bow of the ship would actually go under water coming up throwing off huge amounts of water. I was up in the conning tower snapping away with my camera. Loved it.

Ahhh, and you're safe and sound. I would have loved it. :D

I dont know about "enjoy", but Ive been on 2 cruises where it was a little rough.

In the Mediterranean, on our first cruise on the Jade, there was a windstorm overnight. The ship was moving pretty good in all directions. I could feel my stomach moving up and down. The next day it was still pretty rough and a lot of people were not up and around. My wife took a nap and I went to the buffet! Im not one to get seasick, but food keeps my stomach juices from slopping around.:p I think there were maybe 6 other people there. It was pretty awesome.

The other cruise was just a little lumpy one day and people were walking like they were drunk. I always find that entertaining. Id barely consider that rough though. Just some heavy wind blowing the ship around and making waves.

I'm not one to ever get seasick and love the movement of the ship. Laying in bed is like being rocked to sleep!

Was tossed right out of the pool onto the deck along with the pool water .. It was AWESOME :eek:

Of course I was in my 20's ... Ive got pictures somewhere ..

I'm older and still love being tossed out of the pool!

On our Alaska Inside Passage cruise on the Sky in 2000, we were held in port at Skagway due to high winds. When the ship was cleared to leave it was pulled out by tugboats (that was fun to watch!). The winds were still really high and I think the captain was trying to make up time overnight going back out the inlet.

The ship felt as though it was bucking up and over massive rollers all night long. It was our first cruise and we'd done it on the cheap so we had an inside cabin. The motion was enough to roll us off the bed! Husband was sick all night and I was just about at the limit of my ability to tolerate it when we finally hit calmer water in the morning.

It wasn't so much the roughness, but more how long it goes on for that makes it change from exhilarating to "I'm gonna be sick now!" We hit some rough seas for just a couple of hours in Hawaii and it was fun and exciting but it was over before we had time to get uncomfortable.

I think being tossed out of bed is considered some rough seas! Maybe these newer ships with the stabilizers help.

Do you enjoy rough seas? I'd love to hear your stories.

My sister and I are leaving NYC Oct.18th on the Gem. I was so hoping we would get some rough seas from Hurricane Gonzalo. Seems like we won't. :( For me, feeling the waves and rocking of the ship is exhilarating. Last year on the same cruise, we experienced 60mph winds and high waves. Loved it. :o

Looks like Hurricane Gonzalo is slowing down a bit so I'm hoping to get some swells when we leave NYC on Sat. on the NCL Gem.

On a serious note though our 2nd cruise we sailed into the path of a Cyclone, or Hurricane or Typhoon depending where you might be reading from, we had huge seas and were on the Pacific Princess, so really a pretty small ship [by today's standards] I think that was what really got me hooked on cruising.

I enjoy it too, but it's very much like when I have had labyrinthitis: it's fun when it first happens, but after a while it just becomes an annoyance! I love hearing the "roar" and feeling of being rocked about, and like to keep the balcony door open a crack so I can really hear it - although Mr C gets all mardy and closes it!

I just posted this yesterday in another thread.

You might enjoy it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2114573#post44428629

Ummm, okay....that looks "fun" & interesting :rolleyes:

If you like rough seas you'll like this vid

Ummmm, okay....that looks absolutely terrifying :eek:

I like a bit of rock 'n' roll, too, OP.....although I'd be freaking on the 2nd video!

That's too much!

Edited by silvercrikhix