UK train

wepar59

We looked into this and, unless you particularly want a train trip, for our money, by the time you take a cab from your hotel to Waterloo, buy two fares on the train, lug your baggage on and off the train, then hire a cab from the Southampton end to the ship, a car service made better sense. Door to door service for not that much more (and we were not pricing First Class on train). Again, just our opinion. Your mileage may vary.:D

We looked into this and, unless you particularly want a train trip, for our money, by the time you take a cab from your hotel to Waterloo, buy two fares on the train, lug your baggage on and off the train, then hire a cab from the Southampton end to the ship, a car service made better sense. Door to door service for not that much more (and we were not pricing First Class on train). Again, just our opinion. Your mileage may vary.:D

I wholeheartedly agree with this advice. We took the train from Waterloo to Southampton the first time...never again. It was packed, hard to find a place for the luggage and overall very uncomfortable with a long taxi line in Southampton before we could get to the ship.

Being in 1st class (we weren't) did no good as the train was so full and late that they opened 1st class to everyone.

We use www.smithsforairports.com, they'll give you a quote via email...there are others talked about on this forum, if you want to compare, just do a search.

We have taken the train from Waterloo to Southampton three times before a westbound crossing. Most recently in May 2014. Each time was easy and pleasant.

For May travel my DH booked ahead with something he found on the internet called Mega Train. Instead of the regular-priced fare, 70 pounds for the two of us, it was only 20 pounds for the two of us. Caveat was we had only one choice of train departure time and had to be on that one train.

If you want to book through Mega Train, you have to book early---I've since learned on CC…. Also, you have to be careful to board the correct train...

From hotel to Waterloo taxi was about 10 pounds and Southampton station to ocean terminal was less than 10 pounds.

The train was very easy and comfortable. And, economical.

Happy Sailing!

We have taken the train from Waterloo to Southampton three times before a westbound crossing. Most recently in May 2014. Each time was easy and pleasant.

For May travel my DH booked ahead with something he found on the internet called Mega Train. Instead of the regular-priced fare, 70 pounds for the two of us, it was only 20 pounds for the two of us. Caveat was we had only one choice of train departure time and had to be on that one train.

If you want to book through Mega Train, you have to book early---I've since learned on CC…. Also, you have to be careful to board the correct train...

From hotel to Waterloo taxi was about 10 pounds and Southampton station to ocean terminal was less than 10 pounds.

The train was very easy and comfortable. And, economical.

Happy Sailing!

Megatrain is a good deal but normally there is only one carriage that you are supposed to use on that particular train. As has been previously stated the trains can get very busy so there could be issues with luggage. The train inspectors might turn a blind eye if you were in the "wrong" carriage but they might not which could result in you not being able to travel on that train without buying a non-discounted ticket.

Mega Train is run by stagecoach who run South West Trains.

When booking you get a reference sent to your mobile phone or print out the reference, this acts as your ticket.

South West Trains state that they do not over sell the seats, so If you have booked for that particular train journey, you will be allowed on that train.

Megatrain used to have megatrain posters on the carriage of the train, but these days they do not appear to do that.

The Megatrain service will be a normal South West Train Service,

http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/megatrainbudget.aspx

http://uk.megabus.com/megatrain.aspx

Posted: Monday, 27 January 2014

Important Information for Passengers Travelling on megatrain Services Passengers travelling with megatrain.com are advised that booking reference numbers should be presented to a member of staff, when requested, in either a printed format or displayed on a mobile phone or tablet when requested. This measure will allow crews to check your reference quickly and efficiently. Thank you for travelling with megatrain.com.

Mega Train is run by stagecoach who run South West Trains.

When booking you get a reference sent to your mobile phone or print out the reference, this acts as your ticket.

South West Trains state that they do not over sell the seats, so If you have booked for that particular train journey, you will be allowed on that train.

Megatrain used to have megatrain posters on the carriage of the train, but these days they do not appear to do that.

The Megatrain service will be a normal South West Train Service,

http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/megatrainbudget.aspx

http://uk.megabus.com/megatrain.aspx

Posted: Monday, 27 January 2014

Important Information for Passengers Travelling on megatrain Services Passengers travelling with megatrain.com are advised that booking reference numbers should be presented to a member of staff, when requested, in either a printed format or displayed on a mobile phone or tablet when requested. This measure will allow crews to check your reference quickly and efficiently. Thank you for travelling with megatrain.com.

So I assume this means that you can travel in any carriage, a great improvement.

Has anyone taken the train from Waterloo to Southampton? If so would it be better to book a first class ticket? We are sailing on the QM 2 July 21st.

I have travelled many times by Cunard bus shuttle from/to LHR and occasionally with a train from Waterloo to So'ton.

The bus ride was long because of mayor traffic problems all the way to the docks. A cab or limo gives you even less space.

The train (1st class) was modern, clean, spaceous and on time. I did not look for cheap fares. As UK trains are level with the platform luggage is not really a problem if you are able to handle it at all.

I had issues with the Stanstead train moreoften because 1st class tickets are no guarantee that people with 2nd class tickets would not float the 1st class coach. I can't think of an overcrowded So'ton train out of the peak hours (if there is nothing like i.e. the Air show on that day)

I have travelled many times by Cunard bus shuttle from/to LHR and occasionally with a train from Waterloo to So'ton.

The bus ride was long because of mayor traffic problems all the way to the docks. A cab or limo gives you even less space.

The train (1st class) was modern, clean, spaceous and on time. I did not look for cheap fares. As UK trains are level with the platform luggage is not really a problem if you are able to handle it at all.

I had issues with the Stanstead train moreoften because 1st class tickets are no guarantee that people with 2nd class tickets would not float the 1st class coach. I can't think of an overcrowded So'ton train out of the peak hours (if there is nothing like i.e. the Air show on that day)

The doors on the trains from Waterloo to Southampton are not level with the platform, there is a height difference of about 1 foot (30 cms). The issue with luggage isn't just getting it onto and from the train but what you do with it once on board. On these trains, which are basically commuter trains, there is little storage space for anything much bigger than a briefcase/carry-on bag.

Has anyone taken the train from Waterloo to Southampton? If so would it be better to book a first class ticket? We are sailing on the QM 2 July 21st.

Waterloo to Southampton Central by South West Trains

1st Class is showing at walk on fare £63.60 per person Single

Standard class walk on fare is showing £38.50 per person Single

Megatrain prices are presently showing £20 per person with some trains at £30 per person

However the Megatrain is a slightly slower Journey on the 39mins past the hour with 8 stops before Southampton Central

The fast trains are 35 mins past the hour with 3 stops before Southampton Central. Not showing on Megatrain website

South West Trains use the Class 444 Desiro and the

Class 450/0 (Desiro)

on the route.

Edited by Pennbank

Last year I think we spent 110 pounds to be picked up at our London hotel, with all our luggage and then delivered right to the dock in Southampton. That's not per person, that was for the car.

Edited by Cruise NH

Does Cunard still do Orient Express to Southampton? I did it twice on QE2 and QM2, and it was a world unto itself! Granted, it costs as much as some 5 day Carnival cruises, but, after all, you are on Cunard! The food and service were outstanding!

I don't think they do. I always wanted to do that but managed to miss it. Partly because I have a strategically placed Cousin living just outside Romsey and she allows moochers to stay there pre cruise.:eek::D

I wholeheartedly agree with this advice. We took the train from Waterloo to Southampton the first time...never again. It was packed, hard to find a place for the luggage and overall very uncomfortable with a long taxi line in Southampton before we could get to the ship.

Being in 1st class (we weren't) did no good as the train was so full and late that they opened 1st class to everyone.

We use www.smithsforairports.com, they'll give you a quote via email...there are others talked about on this forum, if you want to compare, just do a search.

I greatly enjoy train travel, but for convenience and cost I have found Smith's to be the best way to travel to and fro Southampton. The drivers are professional, their cars spotless, and have always been timely.

I always use the 10:35 fast train from Waterloo to Southampton. I use 1st Class because (1) the last carriage is 1st Class and the guards allow cruise passengers to store their luggage in the last vestibule; and often they help one take luggage off the train. (2) the carriage is far less crowded and there is more room(3) the last carriage stops very close to the station exit and the cab rank is a very short walk along the pavement (4) if you're traveling with Cunard who wants hassle and crowds (5) the train is fast and on time (6) so spend the money and enjoy!:D

, there is little storage space for anything much bigger than a briefcase/carry-on bag.

Both Times I have taken the Train from Waterloo to Southampton there has been a Luggage section it is opposite the toilet in each carriage, room for Cases or two or three Bikes.

We have travelled twice to Southampton using the train (normally drive.) The first time we used Mega Train and paid £1 each (yes £1) this was a morning train and was very quiet so no problems with luggage. The second time we paid the vast price of £2 each and took a late afternoon train and it was very busy so we did have a problem with luggage. If we were to do it again we would try and get a morning train if possible.

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate that the original poster has completed their train journey by now. However I thought I would mention this for journeys on SWT (South West Trains) between Waterloo and Southampton Central or any Two stations on the South West Train network, from 26th July 2014 until 22nd August 2014

for £15 return. The usual Rush Hour restriction apply during weekdays. It is a fare available at actual time of travel, available even during weekdays.

(The usual cheapest standard single is normally £38.50)

Presently these fares are not showing up on Network Rail ticket purchase site.

They are on South West Trains own site and can be purchased from Their ticket machine and railway stations. The £15 return ticket is only valid on South West Trains.

see

http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/swsummerlaunched.aspx

Edited by Pennbank