How much time needed at FLL check-in & security?

brianosaur

How much time should we allow at Hollywood to check bags, go through security & get to the Southwest terminal gates?

Is an hour and a half enough from the time we get dropped off?

Edited by brianosaur

Yeah I know every airport is different.

Two years ago we waited on a MASSIVE security line at Orlando Intl. It took a good 45-50 mins from the time we entered the queue line until we were putting our shoes back on. Then we had to do the auto-tram thing just to get to the gate. It was cutting it very close.

I've been out of FLL before, and at least there's no tram, but I dont remember security too well. I think it only took about 15 mins.

We fly out of Islip on Long Island a lot and, depending on the time of day, we love the 0-10 minute security line and the 2 min walk to the gate. Gotta love small airports. ...and the fact that you can leave your shoes on now.

Edited by brianosaur

A lot depends on the amount of ships in port that morning. Remember on Saturday/Sunday you are always dealing with either the Oasis or Allure traffic but if that's all it won't be too bad. If it's Allure, 2 Princess ships, Carnival Freedom, Celebrity something and a HAL ship . . . then yea you need to possibly have more time.

In general though, 1.5 hours should be enough time.

What day and date.

Keith

And what time of day?

My brother flies in and out of FLL on Southwest every 6 weeks or so and he allots a different amount of time depending on when the flight is due to leave: before 8 am - 1 hour; 8 am - 2 pm - 1 1/2 hours; after 2 pm - 1 hour. He hasn't missed a flight yet but has come close -- they pulled folks out of the line. Being nervous, I would probably tack on 15 minutes to each of those times.

I like the suggestion to check the number of ships in port too; some winter weekends can be quite the zoo.

I always allow 90 minutes. One time I got there 80 minutes before flight time and nearly missed my flight. The security line was halfway across the parking garage bridge that day. One time I was taken aside and inspected by a female officer after failing the xray scan test because my bra had metal closure hardware. You just never know.

I would plan on the 1 1/2 hour side. FLL can get crazy busy. And then you add it people that want to carry 3 or 4 things thru and argue with the agents.

I've seen it happen. Added another 10 minutes to the process.

Agree with those who suggest giving yourself more time. Since you are being dropped off, you are free to be flexible with that, right? I would go with 2+ hours, myself. I would rather be comfortably through security, seated, waiting and not stressed, rather than try to plan for a tight window.