Why and what to pack in a carry on?

SadieN

The whole luggage system in Phoenix collapsed today.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/phoenix-breaking/2016/05/12/tsa-checked-bag-system-glitch-snarls-travel-sky-harbor/84294640/

The few times we've checked thru bags we've always had enough in our carryon to get by JIC this type of disaster happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/phoenix-breaking/2016/05/12/tsa-checked-bag-system-glitch-snarls-travel-sky-harbor/84294640/

The few times we've checked thru bags we've always had enough in our carryon to get by JIC this type of disaster happens.

Looks like TSA is hiring more than agents from pizza box top advertisements ;)

I remember a few years ago when the baggage system at UA went belly-up - lots of hand wringing and whining by those who couldn't do carryon.

I recall a cruise a few years ago where all the passenger from a California flight didn't have most of their luggage. Lots of people had to get by wearing T-shirts from ship's store. Some had their beaded gowns but just running shoes to wear with them. It became kind of fun for them as a group. Luggage caught up with them at a later port, but very interesting outfits for the first 4 days:cool:

On most vacation travel, I generally travel with one medium suitcase (24" to 25") that I check and one SMALL carry-on (not the size of a suitcase, but more the size of an underseat bag) that I can put on top of the checked bag.

In my carry-on I bring at least one complete change of clothes (plus one extra top) just in case. Also my 3-1-1 bag has enough essentials to get me through a couple days until I either get my bag or can stock up locally.

Any valuables (e.g., a few pieces of jewelry) or essentials (trip itinerary and details, hotel confirmations, destination notes) also go in the carry-on, as well as my camera.

Finally, one extra pair of shoes generally goes in the carry-on; shoes that are good looking and comfortable are important to me, and hard to replace.

For warm destination cruises, in my underseat bag I pack one top and bottom outfit, one dress and shoes, clean underwear, a toothbrush and a bathing suit. A quart bag with necessaries for grooming and my camera, kindle, chargers and water bottle. I could survive a day or two if I had to. I wouldn't be happy, but I'd be OK.

In my carry-on bag (called a Olympia shopping tote on rollers) the bottom layer is shoes (partially weight of checked bag/partially good base) Next is a sturdy plastic zipper bag with the whole supply of medicines -- packed in snack bags with RX labels from pharmacy and list of medicines) Next another large heavy duty plastic zipper bag with complete change of clothes, extra shirt, extra undies, sweater), along front a purple plastic envelope with string tie with every document/reservation in order by day/ itinerary, medical power of attorney for both, passport copy for both, page with important phone numbers ) and anything else needed. In back wall pair of flip flops :p. Top level is seat bag (usually zippered tote bag with all I want for seat -- medicine holders - weekly, books/entertainment, small cross-body bag (purse) including wallet/passport/money/sunglasses/etc, then snacks, flashlight, camera, earphones, I-phone/kindle and possibly light jacket. 3-1-1 bag for security. That bag goes with me in the seat for the flight along with water bottle. Bottle (outer pocket of roller side) with folded rain poncho and umbrella in the front pocket of roller hat and gloves if it is cold. Try for always the same and same places so can find stuff quickly.

If I have to have a heavy coat because of weather, I pack a plastic garbage bag liner to stuff it in -- keeps it clean and from getting torn. Neck pillow in a plastic grocery sack on handle. Sounds like a lot but nothing is "loose" so it doesn't get out and left behind.

The reason for these items and this way of packing -- It's what I need if flight is diverted or delayed, it is what can't be replaced easily (paperwork/medicines/legal contracts and papers) and I have gotten caught so often in heavy rain storms that I put everything in plastic -- printer ink runs!! Oh I try to have in purse a few first aid/tummy/headache items -- usually to give to someone who isn't as compulsive about bringing it all :D

All RX medications and ail the OTC like Tylenol, Immodium, etc except vitamins and supplements that get tossed in a Ziploc in a checked bag. Enough toiletries to survive 2 days, most of or all of my cosmetics depending on destination, tablet with several books loaded (DH carries the camera and his iPad), all the paperwork for reservations and cruise docs, passports, jewelry, phone all are in carry on or personal items. One set of undies and socks, night shirt and then jacket and airline pillow is attached to carry on handles. Since we both carry military ID if we get stranded at an airport we have a home at the USO and over the years when we weren't club members those places have been a great place to go for coffee, a snack and a nap and, in many, a shower.

I'm spoiled by not having to pay to check bags, and thus rarely carry on anything other than a large purse; much easier to check everything than shlep it through the airports. My purse that I travel with is big enough to hold my ipad and charger, a water bottle, a little zipper bag with a few cosmetic essentials, wallet, sunglasses, any necessary documents, and if a sweater/jacket is needed and doesn't fit I can tie it around the handles.

For domestic trips, I generally don't worry at all. If my bag is delayed, even until the next day, I have a few cosmetic essentials with me, and it's usually easy enough to find a CVS or hotel gift shop to get whatever else I absolutely need.

For cruises I usually fly in a day early, so again- no real worries there.

With few exceptions, the only time I carry on a larger bag is if not having stuff immediately upon arrival would put me in a real pickle AND it would not be easy/feasible to quickly purchase replacements. Ex. this summer we will fly into Kigali, Rwanda and arrive in the evening. The next morning we head off several hours away by land for a couple of days of gorilla trekking, before returning to Kigali for one night and then moving on to Tanzania. We have good connections (i.e. plenty of time) at both JFK and AMS, but there is always a chance a bag won't make it, and in this case I'd be in serious trouble if that happened. We paid way to much for the gorilla permits to not be able to go because my hiking boots and trekking pants are in a lost bag that won't show up for another 24 hours when the next AMS-KGL flight lands. We'd be long gone from Kigali at that point, and I doubt any luggage delivery service there would get my stuff to me the same evening. And given the unfamiliarity with the area, I wouldn't assume I could easily find specialized gear like that quickly. So, we'll check our main duffel bags but carry on one small one with a complete trekking outfit for each of us, and our hiking boots. I doubt it will be necessary, but with many hundreds of dollars at stake in non-refundable trekking permits, better safe than sorry.

Likewise our trip to Barcelona. I'll be wearing yoga pants on the redeye flight over, so will throw a casual, comfy, non-wrinkle maxi dress in my purse just in case. I can change into it on arrival day and even wear to dinner that night, so I don't have to tour the city in yoga pants, LOL. That would be enough to get me through until my bag arrived the next day. If it was really lost and still didn't show, I'd go shopping courtesy of the airline, as there is time in our itinerary for that. :)

On most vacation travel, I generally travel with one medium suitcase (24" to 25") that I check and one SMALL carry-on (not the size of a suitcase, but more the size of an underseat bag) that I can put on top of the checked bag.

In my carry-on I bring at least one complete change of clothes (plus one extra top) just in case. Also my 3-1-1 bag has enough essentials to get me through a couple days until I either get my bag or can stock up locally.

Any valuables (e.g., a few pieces of jewelry) or essentials (trip itinerary and details, hotel confirmations, destination notes) also go in the carry-on, as well as my camera.

Finally, one extra pair of shoes generally goes in the carry-on; shoes that are good looking and comfortable are important to me, and hard to replace.

We almost pack alike;):).....I normally pack 2 change of clothes in my

carry on bag.

I also pack my jewelry roll, cosmetic bag and yes, shoes go in there.

Sleepwear goes in there too...Oh...actually pack a 3rd outfit and that

would be what I am wearing on sail day;)....what that outfit actually

is varies on my itinerary.

I will say in 25 years of traveling I've only had one bag go missing and that was to Korea. As it was a military move we had a lot of bags for a family of four so the one bag didn't hurt anyone until it showed up a few days later. For upcoming trip I plan on doing two carry-on types. One is the 21 inch and one is about 14 in and fits under the seat(personal item). However they are big enough to fit two weeks worth of travel stuff. My upcoming trip is during holiday travel and I change planes twice one flight is delta and the other two are air New Zealand. I'm too nervous about missing luggage to even attempt to check a bag. However there is the possibility that my first bag will be considered too big for carry on so in that case I will have at least two changes of clothes in smaller bag plus toiletries, jewelry and electronics. I will also have an packed tote that I can pull out to rearrange items so that I would have ended enough for at least a week in the event my checked bag goes missing. Luckily or unluckily depending on how you see it my first flight was already moved to earlier in the day and now will have 14 hour layover in LAX plus three days pre cruise in Sydney so should be enough time for any luggage to find its way to me. I'm still hopeful to only stick with carry on all the way and only check baggage on the return trip after I have shopped. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'm spoiled by not having to pay to check bags, and thus rarely carry on anything other than a large purse; much easier to check everything than shlep it through the airports. My purse that I travel with is big enough to hold my ipad and charger, a water bottle, a little zipper bag with a few cosmetic essentials, wallet, sunglasses, any necessary documents, and if a sweater/jacket is needed and doesn't fit I can tie it around the handles.

For domestic trips, I generally don't worry at all. If my bag is delayed, even until the next day, I have a few cosmetic essentials with me, and it's usually easy enough to find a CVS or hotel gift shop to get whatever else I absolutely need.

For cruises I usually fly in a day early, so again- no real worries there.

With few exceptions, the only time I carry on a larger bag is if not having stuff immediately upon arrival would put me in a real pickle AND it would not be easy/feasible to quickly purchase replacements. Ex. this summer we will fly into Kigali, Rwanda and arrive in the evening. The next morning we head off several hours away by land for a couple of days of gorilla trekking, before returning to Kigali for one night and then moving on to Tanzania. We have good connections (i.e. plenty of time) at both JFK and AMS, but there is always a chance a bag won't make it, and in this case I'd be in serious trouble if that happened. We paid way to much for the gorilla permits to not be able to go because my hiking boots and trekking pants are in a lost bag that won't show up for another 24 hours when the next AMS-KGL flight lands. We'd be long gone from Kigali at that point, and I doubt any luggage delivery service there would get my stuff to me the same evening. And given the unfamiliarity with the area, I wouldn't assume I could easily find specialized gear like that quickly. So, we'll check our main duffel bags but carry on one small one with a complete trekking outfit for each of us, and our hiking boots. I doubt it will be necessary, but with many hundreds of dollars at stake in non-refundable trekking permits, better safe than sorry.

Likewise our trip to Barcelona. I'll be wearing yoga pants on the redeye flight over, so will throw a casual, comfy, non-wrinkle maxi dress in my purse just in case. I can change into it on arrival day and even wear to dinner that night, so I don't have to tour the city in yoga pants, LOL. That would be enough to get me through until my bag arrived the next day. If it was really lost and still didn't show, I'd go shopping courtesy of the airline, as there is time in our itinerary for that. :)

I am sooo jealous of your trip to Rwanda!! Enjoy that one for sure. One thing I'll recommend is that you and you DH "wear" your hiking boots and pack your other pair of shoes in the duffel. When you get on board the planes, just change out of the boots. That will save you in space and weight - it's what I do when I have to take my hiking boots. Now, if I could do that with my ski boots ;)

First and foremost......a change of underwear. I am not kidding:eek

I wear on my flight to the cruise....black pants and white shirt, light jacket and good tennies hence my carryon includes toiletries,makeup, jewelry.meds,roller brush and change of top. Dressy flip flops too. Never put valuables in checked in luggage. Keep money electronics and travel papers/ passports with you all times. Have heard of people who have put passports in checked in luggage.......so foolish:rolleyes:

I am sooo jealous of your trip to Rwanda!! Enjoy that one for sure. One thing I'll recommend is that you and you DH "wear" your hiking boots and pack your other pair of shoes in the duffel. When you get on board the planes, just change out of the boots. That will save you in space and weight - it's what I do when I have to take my hiking boots. Now, if I could do that with my ski boots ;)

Thanks we'll keep that in mind in case we decide at the last minute that it's heavier than we want to carry, and we definitely plan to do that for the two bush flights we take in Tanzania, as we have much stricter weight limits for luggage on those than on the international flights. But I think for the international flight over we'll be fine with our boots in the small duffel we're carrying on, since it will only have one outfit each and just a few super basic toiletries.

I may be wearing my low boots on or flight to Anchorage to save weight also as I don't believe we have a premium business/first class choice on this next trip and we will need every pound.

We both have small, old school carry on so we tend to only pack essentials in them and fly I a minimum of one full day before a cruise and lately it has been several days.

My luggage only went missing once and it was while I was active duty traveling in civies. I had a room booked at the SFO Hilton for the night of my arrival and would catch a bus to the Presidio of Monterey the next morning. Well, O'hare was on a 6 hour back up due to weather everywhere else so very late getting to Saint Louis. Then that plane was both delayed then needed de-icing so got into San Francisco around midnight not 3pm. Landed in a huge storm that caused land slides killing several people and it flooded the arrivals level so no taxis, no buses and not even shuttles to parking. I slept at the USO and hoped my luggage was found by morning. It didn't and had to report in wearing civilian clothes...not good. Three days later my bags arrived. After that my uniform was in my overnight bag or I wore it. Dress green wool uniforms wrinkled badly worn sitting so long.

Thanks we'll keep that in mind in case we decide at the last minute that it's heavier than we want to carry, and we definitely plan to do that for the two bush flights we take in Tanzania, as we have much stricter weight limits for luggage on those than on the international flights. But I think for the international flight over we'll be fine with our boots in the small duffel we're carrying on, since it will only have one outfit each and just a few super basic toiletries.

I worried so about that weight limit for the flight out of Tanzania a few years ago. When we were delivered to the "airport" there was no scale -- nor toilet or benches or roof:D There were gorillas, gnu, giraffes and other assorted animals that left when the plane buzzed the field two or three times before setting down and the guides all blared their horns as we took off. I suggest that pliable bags like a duffle works better than a more square suitcase. They don't weigh the bags but believe me storage is very much scarce for luggage. At least it will make economy seat on the way home seem spacious.:p

would I do it again? You Betcha! I would love to go to Rowanda. OH PS. put a roll of TP in several places -- you'll need it. Take some good meds for tummy problems-- needed them but each camp has a well trained first aide officer. Also consider special insurance (we used Doctors without Borders) and Medjet Assist for evacuation insurance. Bankrupting costs if you needed medical evacuation without this insurance.

I may be wearing my low boots on or flight to Anchorage to save weight also as I don't believe we have a premium business/first class choice on this next trip and we will need every pound.

We both have small, old school carry on so we tend to only pack essentials in them and fly I a minimum of one full day before a cruise and lately it has been several days.

My luggage only went missing once and it was while I was active duty traveling in civies. I had a room booked at the SFO Hilton for the night of my arrival and would catch a bus to the Presidio of Monterey the next morning. Well, O'hare was on a 6 hour back up due to weather everywhere else so very late getting to Saint Louis. Then that plane was both delayed then needed de-icing so got into San Francisco around midnight not 3pm. Landed in a huge storm that caused land slides killing several people and it flooded the arrivals level so no taxis, no buses and not even shuttles to parking. I slept at the USO and hoped my luggage was found by morning. It didn't and had to report in wearing civilian clothes...not good. Three days later my bags arrived. After that my uniform was in my overnight bag or I wore it. Dress green wool uniforms wrinkled badly worn sitting so long.

Twice things happened that "never" would happen. Air navigation system went down for the whole east coast and our non-stop hop from Detroit to Baltimore became a 3 day stay in Cleveland and final landing in DC Regan. I had no clothes, meds, etc. because we would be home in 2 hours. Another time 2nd half of flight could not get out of Chicago due to weather--airport sitting for 2 days until everything got straightened out. I have taken lots of flights and mostly they go as planned -- until they don't! The third was even more evil -- Bush and the Big 8 at United Nations (Sarah Palin was 1st introduced) and they closed the port of New Jersey and could not get off ship and to EWR 2 miles away. 8 hour delay and then EVERYBODY had missed planes/trains and no cabs. I like to be prepared. I also prepare my phone. If flights start cancelling, call the hotel that you have the most pull with (I am Hilton silver or gold and member of lots). Call hotel reservation # get the local number and call that. FAST! Life is better in a room than an arrival hall. I want clothes/meds/warm top and my neck pillow with me.

Edited by Bowie MeMe

I worried so about that weight limit for the flight out of Tanzania a few years ago. When we were delivered to the "airport" there was no scale -- nor toilet or benches or roof:D ....

I suggest that pliable bags like a duffle works better than a more square suitcase. They don't weigh the bags but believe me storage is very much scarce for luggage.

PS. put a roll of TP in several places -- you'll need it. Take some good meds for tummy problems-- needed them but each camp has a well trained first aide officer. Also consider special insurance (we used Doctors without Borders) and Medjet Assist for evacuation insurance. Bankrupting costs if you needed medical evacuation without this insurance.

Thank you! We aren't taking any structured bags, only pliable duffels, as we are already aware of the limited luggage space in the small Cessna's we'll fly in for the two bush flights.

And our packing list already includes some travel TP for those times when we're out on a long game drive with no bathrooms. Also taking assorted tummy meds (tums, immodium, Cipro), and we already have MedJet memberships. :)

Thank you! We aren't taking any structured bags, only pliable duffels, as we are already aware of the limited luggage space in the small Cessna's we'll fly in for the two bush flights.

And our packing list already includes some travel TP for those times when we're out on a long game drive with no bathrooms. Also taking assorted tummy meds (tums, immodium, Cipro), and we already have MedJet memberships. :)

We had a tower of giraffes at our dirt strip in the Masai Mara. The "airport" was grass-roofed pavilion - it at least had wood benches for maybe 10 people. It even had a "gift shop"- some of the locals would come out when they knew there was a flight and lay their stuff on blankets to sell!

Besides the TP, take some duct tape - it does come in handy out in the middle of nowhere. And, one or two bandanas - they have soooo many uses.

In my carry-on bag (called a Olympia shopping tote on rollers) the bottom layer is shoes (partially weight of checked bag/partially good base) Next is a sturdy plastic zipper bag with the whole supply of medicines -- packed in snack bags with RX labels from pharmacy and list of medicines) Next another large heavy duty plastic zipper bag with complete change of clothes, extra shirt, extra undies, sweater), along front a purple plastic envelope with string tie with every document/reservation in order by day/ itinerary, medical power of attorney for both, passport copy for both, page with important phone numbers ) and anything else needed. In back wall pair of flip flops :p. Top level is seat bag (usually zippered tote bag with all I want for seat -- medicine holders - weekly, books/entertainment, small cross-body bag (purse) including wallet/passport/money/sunglasses/etc, then snacks, flashlight, camera, earphones, I-phone/kindle and possibly light jacket. 3-1-1 bag for security. That bag goes with me in the seat for the flight along with water bottle. Bottle (outer pocket of roller side) with folded rain poncho and umbrella in the front pocket of roller hat and gloves if it is cold. Try for always the same and same places so can find stuff quickly.

If I have to have a heavy coat because of weather, I pack a plastic garbage bag liner to stuff it in -- keeps it clean and from getting torn. Neck pillow in a plastic grocery sack on handle. Sounds like a lot but nothing is "loose" so it doesn't get out and left behind.

The reason for these items and this way of packing -- It's what I need if flight is diverted or delayed, it is what can't be replaced easily (paperwork/medicines/legal contracts and papers) and I have gotten caught so often in heavy rain storms that I put everything in plastic -- printer ink runs!! Oh I try to have in purse a few first aid/tummy/headache items -- usually to give to someone who isn't as compulsive about bringing it all :D

That sounds like a really solid way of packing. Nice!

Along the lines of TP

http://blog.rei.com/hike/girl-talk-peeing-in-the-backcountry/

Well, I did say that the bandana can be used in many ways ;)

I have used Urinelles - disposable funnels - on some trips. I usually have a few packed "just in case" if I have the potential of wandering off the beaten toilet path. I pack some of the cheap, flimsy plastic baggies to put the used product in for portage back to camp for disposal. (or use that bandana)

Over the years, I was frequently the lone female on some backpacking trips, so I just learned to deal with it. One thing about being out in the bush in Africa, you may actually not be by a "bush" that you can hide behind. Be prepared to just "deal with it" and you'll be fine.

I love it that we're talking about this on a "fashion and beauty" forum!!!

Edited by slidergirl

I always take a carry on. It's any Meds I need at least 2 changes of clothes makeup another pair of shoes bathing suit anything to get me by for a few days phone plugs. The essentials

Also when packing my large suitcase. I always put at least 2 outfits of my DH in my suitcase. And 2 outfits of mine in his this way we have clothes if one or the others bags get lost or delayed.