Longest spent on a cruise

LEOwife

Anybody fancy buying a cabin on the ship that just sails and sails?

I would!

I can't remember her name but I know another one is planned/being built.

I decided this morning, purely by chance, that a world cruise is economic as I would save a fortune not being at home.

I would!

I decided this morning, purely by chance, that a world cruise is economic as I would save a fortune not being at home.

I think its called ... The World, which has " apartments", all privately owned.

I think its called ... The World, which has " apartments", all privately owned.

Recently heard that Crystal Cruises is building a new ship (for an even higher end cruiser) that will have regular cabins plus a handful of apartments for those who choose to live aboard.

Hank

I would!

You really can only make it financially viable if you don't have a home on land.......just not being at home still requires you to pay taxes, heating, power, etc. There have been a couple of people who live year round on cruise ships, but they don't own or rent any property on land (I think two on Crystal, and one on Cunard).

There is a ship of condominiums - The World - but I hear it's fairly exclusive and prices range from $1 million - 10 million or so (plus maintenance fees of 10% or so per year). Crystal is building a new ship that will purportedly have condo apartments on it as well, but it's just a plan at this point and prices are a mystery. I personally believe it won't happen - there's too much, too soon, at too much expense. But that's for a different thread.

Several years ago we took 49 day cruise around South America from Ft Lauderdale to San Francisco on Carnival Splendor and everything that could happen did with bomb scare before boarding ship and we were herded across the street for several hours and also suicide at bottom of South America and missed one port as we went back searching for the missing man. Cruise critic tours were unreal and we even got into the warehouse in Rio prior to Carnival and no other tour had this happen.Several other tours were much better than the cruise line offered and much better pricing.

Just out of curiosity, what's the longest cruise or consecutive cruises you've been on? We are currently on B2B cruises on Allure and kinda loving 2 weeks on the ship. This is our longest time spent on a cruise.

Home 2 days ago after 34 days.

Next two on the bucket list are 75 and 105. just need the time and money (the two never seem to coincide).

Love the 150 day idea. We have actually met two couples that cruise most of the year (one couple is on a shop about 11 months) and we have thought it might be fun. The last night of our longest cruise (62 days) DW and I talked about how we could easily do another 62! Long cruises are certainly not for everyone, but DW and I would be happy to be on a ship for several months without a single port :).

Hank

Us too

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I are on for 35 days on a B2B2B2B starting on January 3, 2016. All are on Celebrity. Last year we did 28 days aboard, following 25 days the previous year. None were enough, so we keep upping the ante.

However, caveat.....that damn Canadian dollar may stop these annual January B2B cruises.

You really can only make it financially viable if you don't have a home on land.......just not being at home still requires you to pay taxes, heating, power, etc. There have been a couple of people who live year round on cruise ships, but they don't own or rent any property on land (I think two on Crystal, and one on Cunard)...

IMHO, this seems to be one of the dumbest comments I have seen on this board. How can the "calliopecruiser" possibly have any idea what financial resources some other cruiser possesses so how much can be afforded easily. Not really a valid comment.

...There is a ship of condominiums - The World - but I hear it's fairly exclusive and prices range from $1 million - 10 million or so (plus maintenance fees of 10% or so per year). Crystal is building a new ship that will purportedly have condo apartments on it as well, but it's just a plan at this point and prices are a mystery. I personally believe it won't happen - there's too much, too soon, at too much expense. But that's for a different thread.

The idea of buying a condo on a regular cruise ship appeals to me quite highly. The World, which I believe has already gone through bankruptcy, is not practical for us as many regular cruise activities are not present. But an active cruising program on a ship with other passengers, actually is quite attractive.

We presently cruise around six months a year (last year 8 months) and could easily up that somewhat. I might well drop a million or two for such a residence. Of course, it would probably cost around, say, $200, 000 a year for a nice permanent room on a HAL or Princess ship and that would include all services, food and entertainment, so the financial considerations (depreciation, possible resale value, etc.) would need to be evaluated.

Scott & Karen

Edited by CaveDiving

I would!

Absolutely NOT.

I had a real close up look at that ship as we sailed by her coming into dock early one morning.

Half empty she looked very boring, I don't think she would be much fun at all. :p