Kid jumps from Princess deck railing into pool

jeffdal

Unfortunately for the rest of the passengers, it's true of most parents on a ship.

After reading some of your posts on this thread, I really hope you aren't a parent yourself. If you are, I feel really sorry for your kids.

We have cruised a lot, HAL and RCCL and Princess and kids are out of control. Trashing rooms beyond anything we have ever seen and parents do nothing. I feel parents need to be made accountable on all counts and pay for damages.

Just my own opinion....we have no kids...you need to consider dogs or cats...kids with fur. Our goldens would have been in the pool and not bothered anyone. Kids are an annoyance and parents who let them in areas they should not be, like the spa pool, should have them taken out with a fine. Just my opinion...many other areas for the kids to be.

I just hope that dogs and cats are never allowed on ships.

I wish it would happen but Princess does not care at all. You can have security and reception called by over 100 passengers and they will not do a thing.

I had a cruise on the Emerald Princess back in January this year and I actually have video proof of the same sort of activity happening. There were feral children running, jumping, diving, somersaulting into the swimming pools and preventing fair and reasonable access for all cruise passengers. It was a mess. I stood up on deck one afternoon high on the deck for a sailaway and set up the video and caught it all as I panned across the decks of the ship as we left port.

I made several complaints to reception and security even in writing and nothing was done at all. The staff on Princess did not care and could not be bothered enforcing the rules.

I thought this was just a problem unique to Australia and the feral children that get on board here but unfortunately it is not.

I have also sailed regularly in Japan in their holiday season and the best thing about Japan is that the children are 100% perfect and well behaved and do not muck around at all.

I am going again on the Diamond Princess in January next year as part of the family holidays. I will be taking a 10 year old with me and I have already laid down the law to him regarding pools and it will be strictly enforced by myself when he is on the ship with me because I know how bad feral children can get and I will not have my name associated with taking feral children with me.

Feral children, best description yet.

Most of us that cruise often know that parents simply don't supervise they children as much on board a cruise ship as they do when at home. And I doubt this boy would have been out at 10:30 pm at home :(

However, this It made me think about something I read years ago. A parent couldn't book a Princess cruise for her family because the sailing had already reached the limit for kids on board. Has Princess stopped this practice? Five hundred plus kids on board seems like a lot to me - within the confines of a cruise ship :eek:

The kid limit is based on life jackets right down to the size. My SIL has two children and she couldn't book a last minute cruise because they didn't have anymore life jackets in the younger child's size the older child was good to go. You are correct the boy wouldn't have been out past 10:30 at home. That's only because kids don't go outside anymore. They are home indoors playing video games and thinking up the next dare devil scheme that they can record and upload to uTube.

What do you mean by "feral children"?

I also do not know what a "feral" child is? Is this a certain type of "snowflake"?

Edited by IsanTom
spelling

I also do not know what a "feral" child is? Is this a certain type of "snowflake"?

Feral Child, I didn't know so I looked it up. This is Wikipedia's definition.

"A feral child is a human child who has lived isolated from human contact from a very young age where they have little or no experience of human care, behavior, or, crucially, of human language. Wikipedia"

Tony

Feral Child, I didn't know so I looked it up. This is Wikipedia's definition.

"A feral child is a human child who has lived isolated from human contact from a very young age where they have little or no experience of human care, behavior, or, crucially, of human language. Wikipedia"

Tony

A more apt definition: "(of a young person) behaving in a wildly undisciplined and antisocial way." ie a child who is acting up, out of control, no manners, no consideration for others, flouting rules, and generally making a nuisance of him/herself. A child that has never been taught boundaries or respect for other people or property.

What's a "snowflake"?

Parents are responsible for their children's behavior. With that said, If something would have happened you know that the cruise line would be held responsible for having the pool open and no attendants around monitoring the area. There were other passengers in the pool so clearly there needed to be supervision by Princess staff if only for the protection of the cruise line. A few years ago my company was sued by a women who walked into the glass window that was positioned between two sets of double doors. She was texting and walked passed the door and into the glass and broke her nose. The case went to court and see won based on the fact that the store didn't have a decal or warning sign on the glass. I don't know how a decal on the window would have helped if she missed the obvious exit signs on the two doors. This is our legal system.
. This is the new world, "Its not my fault"

I am often asleep when my 19 year old is still up and about on the ship. My 13 year old has free run and usually puts himself to be before 10, but he has stayed out later.

Just because I am in my room, and they have a room across the hall, does not mean that as a parent I have done anything wrong. I know my kids. They have rules and structure and follow them. Neither of my boys is so stupid as to pull some kind of stunt like this and I assure you had they seen it, they would have reported it.

The issue here is not addressed by a blanket statement about where the parents are. Did your parents watch you all day everyday when you were 14 or 15 - which is about the age I am guessing these kids are?

These kids (both of them) were 100% in the wrong. They are old enough to know better. Should they and their parents be put off the ship? Absolutely. Banned from Princess forever? Perhaps, depending on ship policy.

But the issue is NOT where parents are given the age kid of this kid- it is much broader in terms of the general parenting. Did the parents know that this kid was running a blog? Had they ever observed him being a daredevil before? What kinds of rules did they have in place for the trip? How was the child raised in generally with rules and consequences?

Despite your best efforts at rules and structures as a parent, kids do make independent decisions, and sometimes they are bad. Shoot, even adults from 18 -100 will have more than one or two and get behind the wheel of a car; never been in trouble before yet now we can add DUI to their record. Does that make their parents bad? Before you can pass judgment on the parents choice, you need to know the answer to such questions, and we never will.

I'm not going to comment on your parenting, I don't know you or your children. My DW manages a plant nursery, she comes every night complaining about parents letting their children running loose, and she has to be the adult and stop them before they get hurt and they sue the store.

That's one reason we avoid sailing with kids if at all possible.

I would have loved to have has a video as evidence if he had cracked his head open on the edge of the pool. :cool:

I was on a Celebrity sailing one time when a young boy, about 9 years old, was climbing up to the edge of one of the hot tubs and then jumping down into the pool below. There were numerous signs saying NOT to do that exact thing! PLUS that pool was SO crowded with children that my grandchildren, that had just been in that pool, had gotten out saying that it was SO crowned that they could barely move. I was sitting right at the edge, so that we could see the pool and all activities there. The grandchildren are excellent and experienced swimmers, but we would never take our eyes off of them in a pool. They we right! That pool was WAY too crowded and that boy jumping into the pool was very dangerous. Sure enough, about 5-6 jumps later he landed on a young girl that was under the water and really knocked the wind out of her. Her father was right there and was able to get her and he really yelled at the boy. It turned out that the boy's "parent's" were sitting in the hot tub that he was jumping off of the edge of and they though that he was "precocious"! I said he is NOT advanced, he is a BRAT!

The comments at the end of the article said there should be a ban on ALL cruise lines for these kids.

I agree.

What kind of adults will these idiots be?

Dead ones hopefully. Also hopefully dead before they have children so they do not pass their genetic material to a new generation.

DON

Unfortunately for the rest of the passengers, it's true of most parents on a ship.

Sadly, I think that you are correct. Way too many parent's don't care - at all - what their kids are doing as long as they are leaving them alone. Watch them in restaurants, the kids could be setting the place on fire and as long as they are letting their parent's drink and talk the parent's are oblivious!

I am often asleep when my 19 year old is still up and about on the ship. My 13 year old has free run and usually puts himself to be before 10, but he has stayed out later.

Just because I am in my room, and they have a room across the hall, does not mean that as a parent I have done anything wrong. I know my kids. They have rules and structure and follow them. Neither of my boys is so stupid as to pull some kind of stunt like this and I assure you had they seen it, they would have reported it.

The issue here is not addressed by a blanket statement about where the parents are. Did your parents watch you all day everyday when you were 14 or 15 - which is about the age I am guessing these kids are?

These kids (both of them) were 100% in the wrong. They are old enough to know better. Should they and their parents be put off the ship? Absolutely. Banned from Princess forever? Perhaps, depending on ship policy.

But the issue is NOT where parents are given the age kid of this kid- it is much broader in terms of the general parenting. Did the parents know that this kid was running a blog? Had they ever observed him being a daredevil before? What kinds of rules did they have in place for the trip? How was the child raised in generally with rules and consequences?

Despite your best efforts at rules and structures as a parent, kids do make independent decisions, and sometimes they are bad. Shoot, even adults from 18 -100 will have more than one or two and get behind the wheel of a car; never been in trouble before yet now we can add DUI to their record. Does that make their parents bad? Before you can pass judgment on the parents choice, you need to know the answer to such questions, and we never will.

YES!! MY parent's did, and IF my parent's were not watching me, my relatives were as I grew up on a road with Aunts, Uncles and Grandparent's living on my road. We were watched ALL of the time. WE were also raised with morals AND we knew that NO meant NO EVERYTIME! AND SO DID OUR DAUGHTER and our Grandchildren! None of us, our daughter or grandchildren would EVER go our of their staterooms after 9:00 without an adult with them, unless they had their cell phones with them and we knew where they were every second. Our daughter NEVER has been in trouble and she is in her 40's now. Never was in trouble in school or college. Neither was her husband, he went to the US Naval Academy. Neither have either of their children, one is in 2nd yr of college and never had anything except and "A", second child, and Eagle School, NEVER been in ANY trouble, nothing but "A's". Goes to college next year. Does competitive swimming. They are GREAT kids, very popular. Our SIL is a Navy Captain. My husband was an RN and hospital Administrator for 30+ years, never been in any trouble. I worked for a State Park Service for 30 years, I have never even had a parking ticket or speeding ticket and I am over 65 years old! Kids should have rules! Strict rules. As a Child Psychologist my husband can tell you kids WANT rules, they WANT limits, it equals love to them! It they do not have this, they push and push and push the limits trying to find limits!

A lemon meringue pie in the face of QANTAS Airways Chief Executive Alan Joyce earned the pie-man a life ban from flying both QANTAS and Jetstar airlines.

If identified, I wonder what recompense these family's will receive from Carnival corporation.

Hi from Australia, Many young parents see the cruise as day care for their children while they sip on the endless drink package. Honestly I don't care that much, we all need a holiday, just get these kids away from the nightlife please.

I'm not going to comment on your parenting, I don't know you or your children. My DW manages a plant nursery, she comes every night complaining about parents letting their children running loose, and she has to be the adult and stop them before they get hurt and they sue the store.

Sort of like a school teacher. ;)

Looks like the video has now been removed.

Yes, I see that it is no longer on his YouTube channel. I saved a copy and have let Princess know they can obtain it from me if needed for follow up with the family.

. This is the new world, "Its not my fault"

After reading some other threads, this made me think...

Don't the people who were in the pool deserve a free cruise, or some sort of compensation, for their stress

over this? One poster here was 'furious', so certainly the people involved must be feeling something.

(I'm joking)